Twin D-500 Restore-a-Thon / Full-Comp WOPL upgrade (+ first a PL 400 S2 WOPLing / Proof of concept / Process debug )

Tagline
Lifelong student / listening = bliss
Maybe....it was pretty roached....but ol Davis here may have inspired me to give it a go..

A guy can not have too many meters..
Lee, going along with George S., here's a screen snap of just some of the Simpson 260s for sale "for parts only":

Simpson 260 parts donors for short money.jpg

I saw Series 2, 3, & 5 on offer. Of course, it's a bit of crapshoot if the parts donor wasn't also wounded the same way. Then again, you may open up Dad's 260 & find that you just need to replace one or more old-school axial lead components. (None of that tiny SMD business.) It's worth a try...

Tagline
This post will document taking a used Variac M20MT3A I found on ebay over a decade ago and making sure that it's ready for the lab.

Variac from storage(small).jpg
This is the photo I posted of it from unearthing day. Doesn't look too shabby, but if you look closely on the top there's a rectangle of dried up tape adhesive residue that's commonly found all over used test equipment. As you will see, once we take a closer look the Variac isn't as pristine as it looks from a distance...

faceplate with tape residue.JPG
Overall the Variac was in pretty decent shape, so my original plan was to just remove the back shell, verify the internal wiring, connector tightness, & brush assembly. (ie: primarily functional check + light cleanup.) Unfortunately, there was tape adhesive residue on the face, and the only way to really clean it up was to bite the bullet & tear it down.

Variac internals + date code '8043'.JPG
Meanwhile, the inside of the Variac was pristine -- I really don't think that there has been that many miles (Kilowatt-hours?) on it?
NOTE: The date code of "8043" stamped on the transformer evidently translates to the 43rd week of 1980. (For comparison purposes Perry's triple-meter beauty shows a date code of "194838" -- 38th week of '48?) At any rate, if the internals look this good at 42 years old, it should easily outlast yours truly. :0)

tape residue on wrinke paint.JPG
The adhesive tape is gone...but the unsightly residue is left behind. The complication here is that this is the original 'wrinkle paint', which helps to give this unit a nice industrial look, so I want to preserve that if at all possible. (Note: This has already been cleaned with conventional dishwashing soap, and is acting like a permanent stain. :0(

wrinkle paint tape residue removal tools.JPG
Given the wrinkle paint, what seems to work best to remove the dried-up adhesive from all the micro-crevices (found after years of trying literally everything under the sun) is a semi-stiff brush + WD-40, followed immediately by the same brush + Soft-Scrub. (only, no Comet or other substitutions) Rinse, inspect, & repeat. Too little elbow grease, and stain remains. Too much elbow grease, and you risk damaging the paint finish = sadness. In the next photo, you will see what it looks like after 3 full WD-40/Soft-Scrub/Rinse/Repeat iterations:

wrinkle paint after cleanup.JPG
~12-15 minutes total focused time spent invested. Well worth it to me, since this piece of support test equipment will be in heavy rotation on the bench...and I've already checked the lifetime box for looking at other people's tape/tape residue/sharpie/pencil/grease pencil/yellow JY marker heiroglyphics. I prefer my gear unadorned, no value added, & 'neat' as possible. :0)

1st pass clean up meters blemished.JPG
Here's the Variac all put back together. Since the faceplate is a smooth paint finish (plus all the irreplaceable factory silk screen) I did not use the same cleaning setup that I used on the wrinkle paint. Instead, I used the WD-40 & soft washcloth to get most of the tape adhesive off, and then used the Meguiar's Mirror Glaze to take care of the remainder. (NOTE: My personal experience is that Goof-off & other chemical-based cleaners are too strong/too harsh, and leave visual evidence of their use behind on these older paint finishes. (!)

Of course, when trying to restore anything to it's former beauty, when you really clean one part of it, it sometimes makes any adjacent unloved area look 'more shabby' by comparision. For example, in this photo the faceplate is nice & clean, but the meter faces now look blotchy by comparison?

Phooey -- I didn't want to go there...

Last edited:
Tagline
So, Round 2 of the cleanup was focused on disassembling the meters & bringing them back to as-new condition.

AC volts blemished close up.JPG
Here's a close up of the blotches/blemishes on the "AC volts" meter. (Note: The ammeter is similar.)

AC meter uncovered perfect.JPG
The good news is that once the Variac was opened back up, the gauge removed, & the bezel taken off, the printed paper card is in pristine condition...

AC glass inside funk as found.JPG
Simply stated, it looked like some kind of organic funk was on the inside of the glass. Long term storage? Dessicant is your friend. (!)

AC glass inside post cleaning.JPG
No permanent damage done - polished right up to perfect clarity.

AC meter clean glass installed.JPG
Finished product will now match the already cleaned up faceplate. And of course the ammeter underwent the same procedure.

Variac 2nd pass beauty shot.JPG
Variac beauty shot. Ready for The MIssion -- bringing some similar-vintage Tek o-scopes and PL amps back from a long slumber...

EDIT: The total cost of this Variac is < $175 (auction + shipping). At the time (2012?) it was more than I wanted to spend, but I needed the 20 amps worth of suds in order to cover testing a D500 at wide open throttle without overddriving a 10A Variac at the same time & introducing a testing variable that I couldn't quantify. (After reading articles where a big amp would sound/measure one way while on a variac, but sound/act measurably different when plugged straight into the wall?) A little test equipment headroom goes a long way...

Funny, but at the time this was going for less money than the 10 amp versions?
The bottom line? Perry is right -- once you price out a new 20A version, it makes more sense to buy something 40+ years old & restore it...

Last edited:
Tagline
Meanwhile, I've started into the Tektronix 475 scopes, and so far so good. My goal is to bring them back to the same overall condition as the Variac.

But the real news is that by the end of today I will have submitted my order to White Oak (Gepetto) so that I can WOPL the 400 S2 & both D500s. (!)

And while I'm waiting for those parts to arrive I'll be putting the lumber to the lab...

Cheers --

Tagline
The parts order has been sent to the White Oak email account. Another brick (cheerfully) tossed at the piggy bank. :0)

And now for the official warning to all who venture past this post -- we're going to cover some serious (under)ground in this thread...

down-the-rabbit-hole.jpg

Another step closer to joining the WOPL club...

3D

Tagline
Been familiarizing myself with the innards of the 3 amps I'm planning on WOPLing.

No kidding, just like most of you in here I bet I've looked at 98+% of every Bob Carver article & Phase Linear-related picture ever since I used to use a dial-up modem to connect to the interwebs...but I don't remember ever seeing a side by side (or face to face) shot of a D500 vs. a 400 S2 amp. Check this out:
D500 vs 400S2 Bird's eye view(small).jpg

From the front the faces of both amps are the same size & visual layout, so (except for the pushbuttons on the D500) they look like twins.

But the D500 has a lot more junk in the trunk -- it tips the scales right at 70 lbs. (!) I just weighed the 400 S2 on the right, and it's a lot closer to 28 lbs. (Minus the top cover.)

After looking inside both, to be perfectly candid I'm relieved that the 1st amp that I will be stepping into the WOPLing ring with will be the (relative) lightweight on the right. :0)

The nice thing is that I have no doubt that once upgraded, the 400 will easily run 1 (or 2) pair of Infinity Qe bookshelf loudspeakers in my new workspace.

3D

Last edited:

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
A 400 S2 WOPL powers my JBL Millenniums to sound pressures way too loud to tolerate for long. And no distortion or clipping either. Joe's Cylon meters are correctly calibrated and show there's plenty of reserve.
I think you'll really like your 400 once it's completed. Looking forward to your build.

George S.

Oh, and upstairs in my oldest son's old bedroom which I use for working on electronics, I have a 2nd PL2000 S2 preamp driving a 400 S1 WOPL driving Pioneer CS-99 speakers. Completely rediculous utter overkill for a small room. Sounds amazing at the low volumes that the room requires. Crank it just a little and it's too damn loud.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
So, Round 2 of the cleanup was focused on disassembling the meters & bringing them back to as-new condition.

View attachment 60944
Here's a close up of the blotches/blemishes on the "AC volts" meter. (Note: The ammeter is similar.)

View attachment 60945
The good news is that once the Variac was opened back up, the gauge removed, & the bezel taken off, the printed paper card is in pristine condition...

View attachment 60946
Simply stated, it looked like some kind of organic funk was on the inside of the glass. Long term storage? Dessicant is your friend. (!)

View attachment 60947
No permanent damage done - polished right up to perfect clarity.

View attachment 60948
Finished product will now match the already cleaned up faceplate. And of course the ammeter underwent the same procedure.

View attachment 60949
Variac beauty shot. Ready for The MIssion -- bringing some similar-vintage Tek o-scopes and PL amps back from a long slumber...

EDIT: The total cost of this Variac is < $175 (auction + shipping). At the time (2012?) it was more than I wanted to spend, but I needed the 20 amps worth of suds in order to cover testing a D500 at wide open throttle without overddriving a 10A Variac at the same time & introducing a testing variable that I couldn't quantify. (After reading articles where a big amp would sound/measure one way while on a variac, but sound/act measurably different when plugged straight into the wall?) A little test equipment headroom goes a long way...

Funny, but at the time this was going for less money than the 10 amp versions?
The bottom line? Perry is right -- once you price out a new 20A version, it makes more sense to buy something 40+ years old & restore it...

I tried to figure out when they went to the newer meters like yours but I sobered up and forgot about it. Now I know it was between 1948 and 1980 :eek:

Great job with the reso/facelift.

Tagline
A couple of days ago I was reading Grapplesaw's latest D500 build, and decided to share how my D500 looked like inside, given it's 'as routed, as built' wiring harness. Today I was discussing some troubleshooting tips, and between those 2 conversations I was reminded of a wiring harness in a 20 year old '86 Mustang convertible that was full of gremlins. So I decided to sift through the collection & dug up this action photo for your viewing pleasure:

'86 mustang wiring harness - scary.jpg
The Medusa of under-dash wiring harnesses. Most fortunate that Airman Kelly & I didn't turn to stone...

3D (on the right)

Last edited:
Tagline
And here's the proof that a picture is worth a 1000 words -- without further ado:

The back story. Back in the mid-90's a bunch of us car enthusiast types started going to either the Spring or Fall Carlisle car shows. Word-of-mouth had it that the show covered ~70 acres down in Pennsylvania, and you couldn't see everything for sale in 3 days. (!) So we decided to see for ourselves. Due to the laws of supply & demand, the hotel rooms were sky-high...but we found a cool little campground with hot showers & within walking distance. So we literally camped out, and after it was all said & done we managed to stay for ~$15/night, per person.

Anyway, I went down in order to help my buddies spend their money, so my guard was down. Midway through the 2nd day, a super-clean rust-free, stone stock '86 Mustang convertible was behind a bunch of other stuff. Walking up to it I figured that it had to be an automatic (like most convertibles)...but lo & behold it was a factory 5.0/5-speed.

And the price was good. Almost too good to be true. If it had been an automatic, nothing would have happened...but in a moment of weakness, it followed me home. It drove great, no vibration, no smoke, no overheating, it just ran. So I got it back to VT no problem. Was busy at work, so it took maybe a week to get the VT title, registration, & plates.

So, right after I put the plates on it, tried to start it...and nada. The battery was flat. The battery looked pretty new, so I cleaned the connections & recharged the battery. Car then started right up, and down the road I went. But as time went by, the car seemed to suffer from an 'intermittent' no-start problem? Hmmmm, I wonder if this has anything to do with the really low miles (that checked out) and that really good sales price?

Of course, one of the first things to do when troubleshooting an intermittent is to see if there is any pattern to be found, or is it truly random?
Pretty quick I realized that if I drove the car every day, it always started. Even if I drove it every other day, it would crank over a little slower, but it would still start. But if the car sat for a long weekend, no joy. So then I wanted to figure out if the problem was within the battery itself, or was it the car? (BTW, I was hoping for a self-discharging battery.)

So then I started driving the car with a wrench in the glove box. After I got done driving it for the day, I would pop the hood, grab the wrench, and disconnect the + lead from the battery. Several days later I reconnected the battery, hopped behind the wheel, turned the key...and it started *immediately*. Eff me -- something in the car itself is discharging the battery, even when the key is off. (EDIT: In this case, the battery was the Victim, and the car was the Perpetrator.)

The beauty of the power distribution in modern cars is that each electrical load is on it's own circuit. So to troubleshoot a parasitic current draw, all you have to do is disconnect a lead from the car battery, and install an ammeter in series. If there's a problem, it should show immediately -- too many milliamps being drawn as a constant drain = battery drained flat too soon.

And then if you don't see something obvious (like a courtesy light in the trunk staying on, or a large stereo amp never shutting off, etc. -- all you have to do then is pull fuses, one at a time, and once you pull the fuse where the current draw immediately stops, you now have the problem narrowed down to something on that circuit.

So that's what I did. And sure enough, there was excessive current draw immediately when I put the ammeter in series with the wiring harness. The only problem was that the problem was affected by too many circuits? WTF? Electric door locks, electric windows, convertible top, the horn, the headlights, even the brake lights? The fuse box was in good condition. (Previously in a used Honda Civic the fuse box was corroded beyond belief...turned out it was one of those 'flood cars' -- luckily ebay offered up a spotless replacement fuse box for 30 bux.) After careful scrutiny under the dash, there just seemed to be too much wiring -- way more than expected?

Finally, we found a mysterious control box with all kinds of wire coming out of it? We found a part number on it...googled it, and discovered that some unknown previous owner had an aftermarket anti-theft alarm/disabler security box installed. All the problem circuits were supposed to be monitored, and if excessive current draw happened, the box would detect that as some perp was trying to the steal the car, the lights would flash, the horn would blow, etc. Worst of all, it was all installed slap-dash using vampire taps - Yikes!

It was bad enuf that I knew the damage couldn't be undone properly with the wiring harness installed. So that winter, out came the dash & the entire wiring harness. Every single vampire splice was removed, and whenever possible a new piece of waterproof heat-shrink was applied. And if we couldn't get the heat shrink on due to the way the harness was made, then we would snip the wire in 2, slide the heat shrink down one side, strip the wires further, clean & reconnect everything mechanically solid using a Western Union splice, solder the splice for a permanent fix...and then slide the heat-shrink over the entire site & make it weatherproof.

It sounds like a lot of work, but once you got rolling we had the harness completely repaired in 1 long day, with many celebratory cold snacks after we were done. All told, it was almost 2 days taking it apart (documenting/leaving ourselves written bread crumbs while working at deliberate speed), a day to undo the aftermarket alarm damage, and another day to re-install it.

After all that, it simply worked. The car started, whether it sat for 1 day or 3 weeks. Just like a new Mustang.

That's all I've got to say about that.

3D gump

Last edited:
Tagline
Q: Why share the above here in the 3D rabbit hole?

A: The D500 wiring harness *is* a bit intimidating...but with any luck my wiring harness mojo is still in there somewhere...like riding a bike. :0)

BTW, I am girding for battle - just trying to decide which Hakko desoldering station to get + is it going to be 2 or 3 different wattage soldering irons?

And we used to use silver-solder on the aircraft. Is it still the best stuff on the market?

I know you guys watch me purchase stuff on the frugal side of life. But this time around, I'm going to invest in my soldering toolage. Cheerfully, too! If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying hard enough! :0)

3D

Tagline
Triple D View attachment 61970 You may need to talk to Dennis ( navlinear) and get some silver Teflon wire.
Glen,

The other evening I started this conversation with NavLinear. I'm going to PM him this photo and ask for 3+ amplifiers worth!

Again, thanks for the 'tested-good' solutions!!!

3D