Variacs N Stuff

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
The baby brother 5 amp Variac is pretty much finished. I noticed the new Voltage Knob is bigger than the original so I will attempt to restore the original knob. That big one came with the new Transformer. The only other thing is I don't like the old worn out AC socket. It's seen better days so I'll find one and replace it. Anyway, it works great and even if it was broke dick, it looks cool sitting there doing nothing. Now who can I talk into calling this guy in California so I can get the correct amp meter?

View attachment 39278 View attachment 39279

So the triple metered unit has a amp meter which has only one scale on the face (0-5 amps) and it should be dual scale meter with 0-1 amp and 0-5 amps to match the Hi-Lo toggle switch. I found the place to order them so I'm having 2 made (I have another panel meter to do). Should take about a week and it was 20 buck for the pro's to do it since they do Simpson meters all the time. I'll post a pic when it comes in. NOW I DON"T NEED TO TALK TO THE CHUMP IN CALI for a whole meter. These screw right on to the Model 57 (0-5 amp) meter. COOL. I got a new AC socket so I'll wait and only take it apart once.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
So the triple metered unit has a amp meter which has only one scale on the face (0-5 amps) and it should be dual scale meter with 0-1 amp and 0-5 amps to match the Hi-Lo toggle switch. I found the place to order them so I'm having 2 made (I have another panel meter to do). Should take about a week and it was 20 buck for the pro's to do it since they do Simpson meters all the time. I'll post a pic when it comes in. NOW I DON"T NEED TO TALK TO THE CHUMP IN CALI for a whole meter. These screw right on to the Model 57 (0-5 amp) meter. COOL. I got a new AC socket so I'll wait and only take it apart once.
WHY NOT PERRY?

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it

HUH?
Was it a long and tedious search?

Piece of cake Lee...... I put in for a quote, sent him a picture of what it is supposed to look like and it took 2-3 days, and then when he was done with the quote, I called and put in the order. It probably helped that I had a common meter. You can also send meters in to them and they will repair, rebuild whatever....... Here is the link..... It's amazing what you can find with the right questions..... Had I known this a while back, it could have saved me time and money. Just fill out the quote and the dude will respond sooner or later.

https://www.newark.com/custom-panel...nQiOiJFVTJpZG9PUkdvbjYxRVwvVmRNR203Zz09In0%3D

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
Twice in the past I needed new meters and sourced both times through Newark. Each pair were off the shelf and came from Anders in the UK so not cheap but nearly drop in replacements. Enlarging the bezel opeing by a MM or so on one unit and chopping out a bit of room for the barrel in the other. Because in that case, new ones swung from the bottom, not the top. Old dial scales fit the new meters perfectly after swapping them over.

Newark is a good place to get meters. They had some custom options back then but probably more than that now. Looks like they have more suppliers on the roster.