Twin D-500 Restore-a-Thon / Full-Comp WOPL upgrade (+ first a PL 400 S2 WOPLing / Proof of concept / Process debug )

NeverSatisfied

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Play the Game, don’t be the Game
Something I have noticed about LED lighting is that the supply and manufacturers vary all the time. So if you install one brand of lighting and have a problem two years down the line, the chance of finding an exact replacement is damn near impossible. Not a big deal for individual fixtures but when you have multiples like your under cabinet lights or my over bench lights, which all daisy chain together, it can be disastrous. My solution is to buy multiple extras and store them just in case one fails.

Tagline
Lifelong student / listening = bliss
Something I have noticed about LED lighting is that the supply and manufacturers vary all the time. So if you install one brand of lighting and have a problem two years down the line, the chance of finding an exact replacement is damn near impossible. Not a big deal for individual fixtures but when you have multiples like your under cabinet lights or my over bench lights, which all daisy chain together, it can be disastrous. My solution is to buy multiple extras and store them just in case one fails.
To build on your comment, if you followed the link I embedded the price of admission was very fair -- I did the entire kitchen essentially with a single kit for <$60!

For the workshop I'm planning on buying (2) kits, and keeping whatever I don't implement immediately as in-house spares. NOTE: I installed those lights ~15 months ago, and they've been on 10-12 hours/day, and they have been faultless so far.

One more thing -- when I first installed the lights, I didn't like the fact that every time I had to turn the knob up to 270 degrees from the OFF position to fully up. Instead, once I figured out the right lighting level, I just wanted to turn the setup on & off with a switch. Instead of tearing up the sheet rock to add a switch, I ended up with this cheat (that only took 15 seconds to implement) that I am completely satisfied with.

Good discussion -- hopefully this will help others who have decided to improve their own work space at home w/improved lighting...

Last edited:
Tagline
I put a lot of thought, blood, sweat and mistakes into my shop. Most of it turned out the way I envisioned but some things I just overthought. Fortunately lighting and electrical outlets were on the done right list. You can’t have enough of either.
I was looking at the photos you put up, and that lighting *is* impressive! The mistakes always lurk in the shadows, while the repairs are easily seen on the brightly lit operating table!

- Nice -

Last edited:
Tagline
Hey Lee,

Good news -- your box arrived this afternoon! I performed a checksum against the transmitted packet -- 0 bits were missing!

88 + 2 spare checksum good.JPG

Better yet, TO-3 bases were counted into bags & we're 1 step closer towards the finish line.

TO-3 bases bagged & tagged for amps.JPG

That was quick -- this discussion started just over a week ago...and up 'til then I hadn't found anything I wanted to buy!

Thanks again!

Safe Holidays --

Tagline
DUDE!! You're a trip !! Glad they made it....Do you like the quality of the greens?
Ha - Made you look! :0)

I had to count them out anyway, so I figured why not make it into a visual mnemonic so that I couldn't forget that they're already in house?
I hate flimsy, for I'm the one where stuff wants to get all twisted up, even though I use a torque wrench religiously. (Got beat into me. :0)

Those green TO-3 cases seem robust - robust good! And if you look back at this Darlene photo, on the left side of the sticker you can see the factory pointy-tip screw right out in the open -- that's bad juju, just begging for a chafe to occur. Having a 6-32 fastener in it's place is just a better solution for this alone, not to mention better clamping over the long haul, etc.)

Yes, indeed, very happy to have them in house...will be even better installed into the home position! :0)

Enjoy your Christmas -- mine's already better than expected!

Cheers --

Tagline
Here I documented the 1st win for outfitting my proposed amplifier Phase Dock with test/troubleshooting gear.
(Actually meant to put that here (lab/build related), but it was late & my aim was off. :0)

But my real focus this morning is to document a much more substantial win for the lab. For troubleshooting/testing/debug I wanted to 'invest' in a no-kidding DC power supply. Since so much of what we do requires both +/- voltages simultaneously, I was most interested in a 'dual' power supply, where the 2 supplies could either be used seperately, or working in tandem (ie 'tracking') together.

After much sifting, I found the following listing best fit my criteria. Good news - a judicious bid right at the end of the auction netted me a 24-lb power supply for the right price:

HP6228B R channel calibrated voltage check(opt).jpg

Here's a closeup, showing a calibrated FLUKE connected to one output:
(Note: both channels were shown in the auction to be working.)

HP 6228B calibrated voltage check(opt).jpg

Visually, this power supply looks like it was used, not abused. Of course, given it's age, I'm going to go through the supply & renew whatever bits are on the far end of the bathtub curve -- using an approach similar to this successful troubleshooting/repair thread on a similar HP power supply.

More good news -- I won this auction yesterday, paid immediately, and according to the tracking number it's already left physical Phoenix & is headed towards the finger lakes region. (!)

We're past the point of no return. Thumbs up! :0)

Last edited:
Tagline
Nice. I’ve got a 465 that seems quiffy. The CRT works and will show a center dot, I can move the dot with the horizontal and vertical calibration knobs and if I recall it will deflect with a signal but not correctly and I can’t get a trace. Pretty sure I had things set up correctly in that I should have at least seen something but she was a no go. I’ll have to trouble shoot it some time. Thanks for the guide.
AngrySailor,

In preparation for my own o-scope troubleshooting safari, I've been scouring the interwebs for anyone who's already traveled down this same path.
Good news! There seems to be a small, tight-knit group of talent who share our appreciation of Tek oscilloscopes. Reading what you wrote reminded me of a blog where the author decided to go on a 'Tek 465' repair expedition. In particular, it sounded like his scope was showing symptoms were similiar to yours. When you need to give your back a break from your cast iron sculpturing, give this a read: Tektronix 465 Oscilloscope Repair.

Now, he got his scope sorted out without too many steps -- and hopefully you will too.

But with the way my luck runs, when it comes to my 475, I may have to fix first, and then fix the next, followed by fixing the third issue, ad infinitum.

(Folks, anyone reading this: When it comes to long-term storage of your high performance electronic toys, please remember that DESICCANT is quite literally that ounce of prevention to prevent the pounds of cure I've set myself up for. :0)

Anyway, in this blog a different author buys a used Tek 475 & takes a long troubleshooting expedition, which he has broken down into the ~12 steps it took for him to declare victory. It's a longer read (actually I haven't made it all the way through myself yet) But I find it inspirational, for so many times these daze I read where someone replaces a blown fuse in something, still doesn't work, and they simply quit, and throw it into the dumpster?

https://wahz.blogspot.com/p/tektronix-475-restoration.html

At any rate, now that these pioneers have shown that, with enough resolve, the 465/475 scopes can be fixed, used in anger, and then passed on to the next generation of Tone Warriors when my ride is up --I am more determined than ever to regain access to a working Tek 475! (Note: My eBay 475 was last scanned in Chicago, so it's still headed my way -- come on baby! :0)

Hope that 465 blog gives you some ideas...

Fun stuff!

Last edited:
Tagline
Member markthefixer IIRC spent a lot of his life as a tech for Textronix...
Good to know!

Lee, as a newbie I was unaware. Who knows, maybe markthefixer could be my ace in the hole if all else fails!

There is so much sheer talent in this forum... so cool!

Thanks for the tip!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Mark is an 800 lb gorilla on Audiokarma, I'm sure he lost count of how many folks he's helped there.....and it was usually intense, very time consuming hand holding. He's a prince in my book..

Tagline
To finish this up, I (of course) paid immediately after winning the auction...and then, to help prime the pump, I sent the following message to the seller:

View attachment 58636

To which he replied shortly thereafter:

View attachment 58637

Given the above, I'm cautiously optimistic. (!)

Please send positive vibes in the general direction of this vintage traveling Tek scope! :0)
11 days later, this Tek 475/DM 40 combo actually showed up, as promised! It made the trip successfully, arriving in the exact same condition as shown in the auction!

The first thumbnail shows that the seller employed multiple layers of packaging, including a piece of foam over the delicate face/controls:
Tek 475+DM40 carefully packaged.JPG

Close-up of face, as found after shipment:
Tek 475+DM40 as received (best).JPG

FWIW, I've been using eBay since '99, I'm nearing 500 transactions, and I've only been disappointed maybe once or twice over the entire time that I've used it for purchases like this.. (Putting that in context, that's better than when I used to buy stuff at Sears, which was the defacto benchmark back in the day.)

The 1st Monday after Christmas has been a good one for the lab being assembled.

I'm off to give the seller a well-deserved glowing praise. :0)

Tagline
OK, this might seem a bit out of sequence in the overall scheme of things, but for me when I'm starting a really big project it sometimes helps to figure out what is the one thing that I least look forward to...and just jump on that first. (ie: If I get all the dreaded stuff out of the way then the project just seems to move along with less foreboding/excess head stress?)

Well, I seemed to remember that when the Dual turntable was relegated (with dust cover unprotected) to the basement when I first moved to CDs as my primary music source...and while down there the grit from some cylinder head porting + papers being put on top of it gave the Dual's dust cover a bunch of tiny scratches -- some refer to the resulting look as 'cobwebs'. When I discovered what had happened during move #6 of #11, needless to say I was not happy with the fruit of my carelessness. (Eff it, I'll deal with it later if/when I ever drag it out someday in the distant future! :0)

( 20+ years pass )

Sure enough, when I recently unwrapped the turntable the day after Christmas, the cover looked, if anything, even worse than I remembered. Way too scratched to be fixed with just polish & a cloth -- it was going to take wet-sanding first, followed by a good buffing.

Without further ado, here's what I did to bring back my old Dual turntable to a serviceable condition. Not perfect, but certainly plenty good enough to be pressed into service when I need to check out a phono stage after a preamp rebuild. (Or brought out for some live music on vinyl while feeding friends some tasty BBQ.)

1) For starters, here's the reflection of the dining room lights on the turntable cover, as found, after being put out to pasture incorrectly:
Dual 606 bad cobwebs triple lights.JPG

2) One more 'pre - repair' photo, reflection of single straight light source:
Dual 606 as found top scratched single light.JPG

3) For comparison, here's the cover with the same light, post-fix:
Dual 606 top after single light.JPG

4) If you are now curious as how the plexiglass was de-scratched & polished, in this photo you will see the 3 grits I used to remove the cobwebs. (scratches) 1500 / 2000 /2500 grit:
Meguiar's 1500-2500 wet-sanding paper.JPG

5) Starting with a 1/2 sheet of 1500 grit & a small container of lukewarm water with a couple of drops of dish soap. (For lubricity, to help minimize the wet sandpaper from sticking while trying to evenly cover the dust cover surface. Keep working the plexiglass until the entire surface is evenly dull.
Dual 606 wet-sanding with a bit of soap & water.JPG

Here is what it looks like when you are halfway through switching to the finest paper. (2500 grit)
Dual 606 wet-sanding with 2500 grit.JPG

Once you have evenly covered the dust cover with the 2500 grit, now it's time to switch to the polish & work through those three levels, coarsest to finest. (Follow this link & go to the last picture if you need a refresher of what I used on the RCA line meter.)

Yes, it can be done by hand, but you'll need some time & effort. Budget a couple quarters of a football game. NOTE: If you want to utilize a force multiplier, the entry level of chucking up a foam polishing pad (~$10 from Harbor Freight) to a variable-speed drill is completely legit.

Since I routinely correct paint on vehicles, I cheated & used a variable-speed Makita 9227C polisher with a fine foam polishing pad, light pressure, and increasing speed as the polish breaks down from aggressive to ever-finer finishing slurry:
Makita variable speed buffer 9227C.JPG

OK, if you are still with me, here's a photo of the Shure V15 Type IV cartridge as installed:
Dual 606 Shure V-15 Type IV.JPG

And finally, here's a beauty shot of the turntable powered up & holding a steady strobe. (no flash + f18 for good depth of field = 2 second exposure)
Dual 606 beauty shot no-flash f18 2 sec.JPG
I am particularly happy to have the turntable all cleaned up & ready for use, for I have been dreading this little subroutine for far longer than I've been a member of this forum. And I'm sure that busting the rust off of my wet-sanding chops will pay off when it comes time to restore the used test equipment heading my way to their former glory.

Hopefully the above will help anyone living with a scratched turntable dust cover made of unobtainium & would like to return it to it's original beauty.

Cheers --

Last edited:
Tagline
"Yes, it can be done by hand, but you'll need some time & effort. Budget a couple quarters of a football game. NOTE: If you want to utilize a force multiplier, the entry level of chucking up a foam polishing pad (~$10 from Harbor Freight) to a variable-speed drill is completely legit."

Looks like I was off -- I just checked, & Harbor Freight has an 'entry level' foam buffing kit for $2.99 + tax. NOTE: I wouldn't recommend this for polishing an entire car that's been wet-sanded, but it's plenty for a turntable dust cover...

Tagline
I just checked eBay, and it looks like if I preferred I could have bought a brand new dust cover instead of massaging what I got. Of course the most affordable one has a photo where I can't really tell if it is clear, or smoked like the factory one? Is it hazy in person, or is it just a bad photo? It doesn't make me want to spend $110 + NY state tax to find out. (!)

Of course the expensive dust cover from Germany looks perfect, but for approx. $234 + 8% sales tax? I'd rather just live with what I got & use the money I saved towards mo' better test gear for the lab!

Dual 606 new covers on eBay for sale.jpg

Total cost of sandpaper & polish consumed on this project? < $5.

FWIW...

Tagline
Thanks for the positive feedback! Normally I try to take something 'worn out' and work on it so that it becomes 'worn in'. ...So by not taking the time to properly protect the turntable prior to putting it away just bothered me no end.

There's a phrase floating about that rang my bell in a good way:

“An error doesn't become a mistake until you refuse to correct it. "

Given this, by restoring the existing dust cover I managed to turn that mistake back into an error...without spending the equivalent of what I paid new for that entire turntable w/dust cover in 1978(?)...on just the dust cover today. (!)

Anyway, for me that's what this hobby is all about -- you always end up learning something, even if you are just honing your chops!

Thanks again!

Cheers --

Last edited: