WOPL400 “Jesse”

Tagline
Lifelong student / listening = bliss
Dear 3D, thank you for this!

FIRST THINGS FIRST: here's my 1993 Lindberg 72158 1:25 Scale "LITTLE RED WAGON"!!!!!
The model is actually on my library RIGHT ON TOP of my sound system!
Still can't believe you cited one of my own absolute references!

View attachment 61798
That's astounding! I think we just experienced a little bit of Synchronicity there... :0)

You know, I've always thought that individuals like astronaut Neil Armstrong (X-15/Apollo 11), Kelly Johnson (Skunkworks/SR-71), Bill "Maverick" Golden, & Bob Carver were people worth studying in order to try to figure out what makes certain people (who excel at pushing the limits of what is possible) tick.

And even though the first 2 guys had nearly unlimited funding & engineering teams behind them, Mr. Golden & Mr. Carver shared the same rigorous, disciplined, empirical testing approach to problem-solving. When Bill Golden talked about how the 30% nitro made the power hit hard, necessitating a new engine block "every 5 passes" ...and that he used to bring a 4'x8' sheet of plywood into the hotel room in order to rebuild the engine -- man, talk about a total dedication to your craft. :0)

The bottom line? When things didn't work as planned, *none* of them ever quit -- they just kept at it.

Very motivational for yours truly.

Enjoy the fruit of all that hard work you put into that amp!

Cheers --

3D

Last edited:

Carl182

New Around These Parts
Placeholder post:
PROBLEMS
OK then, back to the only PROBLEM "Jesse" has. Every help is greatly appreciated!

When the power switch is turned OFF, the Channel A (Left) VU Meter:
- Goes back and stands still at -20 (OFF) position;
- After 10 seconds (amp is OFF remember), pegs VERY rapidly to -1 position;
- From there, takes 12 seconds to slowly go back at -20 (OFF) position.

Some considerations:
- Channel B (Right) VU Meter is OK;
- Channel A VU Meter is responsive when ON, BUT is slightly "behind" Channel B by 0,5 units or so;
- Voltage check on bias and speaker binding posts: it is absolutely equal and steady when comparing L and R;
- This was the only meter which pegged violently at turn-on BEFORE WOPLing/restoring the unit. This PL400 had the common problem of frying speakers via rail voltage, the reason why it was abandoned by previous owner;
- Below a closeup of the meter type from Honeywell. As per WO instructions and documentation, it is NOT the one type I could calibrate (if I understood right).

Some questions:
1) Is the thing gone for good? I really san't see how to operate here...
2) As per pics above, this is the meter extremely close to the new power caps, which are way larger than the originals. Electromagnetism? Aliens?
3) Would the White Oak LED Board somehow solve this?

Thanks in andvance for any help or considerations!
Carl

20210827_113211.jpg
The Meter BEFORE WOPLing/relamping.

20220127_170554.jpg
The meter AFTER WOPLing/relamping (switched it from B to A).

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Carl, those things are close to 50 years old. And they were POS's when new. The only different you could do is feed the meters post DC protect so they didnt take in rush voltage. If they are a little sticky take a " bounce" dryer sheet and de-static the plastic lenses.
And yes those big caps could influence the meters, to an extent that's noticeable....dont know for sure .

Tagline
OK then, back to the only PROBLEM "Jesse" has. Every help is greatly appreciated!

When the power switch is turned OFF, the Channel A (Left) VU Meter:
- Goes back and stands still at -20 (OFF) position;
- After 10 seconds (amp is OFF remember), pegs VERY rapidly to -1 position;
- From there, takes 12 seconds to slowly go back at -20 (OFF) position.

Some considerations:
- Channel B (Right) VU Meter is OK;
- Channel A VU Meter is responsive when ON, BUT is slightly "behind" Channel B by 0,5 units or so;
- Voltage check on bias and speaker binding posts: it is absolutely equal and steady when comparing L and R;
- This was the only meter which pegged violently at turn-on BEFORE WOPLing/restoring the unit. This PL400 had the common problem of frying speakers via rail voltage, the reason why it was abandoned by previous owner;
- Below a closeup of the meter type from Honeywell. As per WO instructions and documentation, it is NOT the one type I could calibrate (if I understood right).

Some questions:
1) Is the thing gone for good? I really san't see how to operate here...
2) As per pics above, this is the meter extremely close to the new power caps, which are way larger than the originals. Electromagnetism? Aliens?
3) Would the White Oak LED Board somehow solve this?

Thanks in andvance for any help or considerations!
Carl
Carl182,

I think that with a bit of experimentation we can narrow down where the problem is being created, and at that point you can better decide if you want to pursue the actual fix. (If nothing else, you (and I) will get to learn a little more about the VU meter setup on the older PL amps.)

1) Alright, it that amp was mine, the first thing I would want to prove to myself is whether the VU meter is the perpetrator of the visual anomaly OR the victim of the circuitry that's feeding it.

2) IF this was a mono amplifier, and there was ONLY 1 meter, then we would have to dive deep into the circuitry. But the hidden beauty of working on a stereo amp like yours is that we have 2 (hopefully) identical channels. This is good news, for it will help us to quickly determine if the VU meter is the victim or perpetrator. NOTE: If below we determine that the meter is good, then we have not 1 but possibly 2 victim scenarios. The 1st scenario is that the circuitry attached to the meter is causing the anomaly. The 2nd victim scenario is a geographic one -- that is, the proximity of the new power supply capacitors are somehow interfering with the meter? And furthermore, is it possible to have both victim scenarios in tandem, each contributing a share of the problem? A: Possible, but can't predict probability yet -- too little information.

3) Intermittent problems can be the hardest to successfully troubleshoot/fix. As I used to teach Avionics troubleshooting to the young airmen, "You can't fix an intermittent problem until you can first break it at will." (!) I emphasized this to every student, because instead of just waiting passively for the problem to present itself, I instead needed them to reason through the fault, come up with ALL possible scenarios that could cause the fault, and then try to figure out how to stimulate the fault with the tools & test equipment at their disposal.

Q: Are you asking yourself why I would bring up the intermittent scenario? A: Because from your description, you have already figured out how to stimulate the fault, and it happens every time -- that's a bonus! Assuming that you don't lose interest and/or are forced to push the fix to a lower priority, there's a very high probability that we can & will fix this!

Here we go. NOTE: For the purposes of this test, I am going to assume for now that both Left & Right audio channels are working identically. (That is, what the meters are monitoring is exactly the same. (I assume that the music output at both speakers are the same level, no distortion, etc.)

(Of course, standard safety procedures apply. Power down -> Unplug -> discharge the PS caps -> then proceed. (As you must have already been doing throughout your rebuild project...since you are still here. :0)

a) Disconnect the suspect (Left) meter from the circuit. Have a pair of alligator clip jumper wires on hand. (Safest approach) Now disconnect the GOOD meter from it's circuit. Now jumper the suspect (left) meter to the 'known-good' (right) circuitry. Make sure nothing is going to short out against the chassis and/or other unrelated circuits. (Accidental collateral damage is never fun. :0(

Power up, run a few seconds of music through it, and observe that the suspect meter is dancing as it should.

NOW, power it down & watch carefully. Q: Does the suspect meter still misbehave? If NOT, then we get to declare that the suspect meter is a VICTIM of the drive circuitry it is normally connected to. NOTE: If it is working correctly now, this also proves that the nearby capacitors must not be affecting the meter's behavior. (!)

On the other hand, IF the suspect meter is still showing the same bad behavior after shutdown while connected to the 'known-good' circuit, then the meter is the perpetrator of the fault, and you have to decide if you want to pursue repair or replacement.

Given the symptoms, plus your observation about how the meters BOTH worked pretty close to the same while the amp was on/playing music, while the meter being bad is a possibility, it's a higher probability that a component was wounded by the failure in the left channel prior to you acquiring the amp. (I *think* that this is the correct schematic for your amp, but please verify first before following.)

IF THE METER WORKS PROPERLY IN THE GOOD (right) CIRCUIT BUT INCORRECTLY ON THE BAD (left) CIRCUIT, THEN WE NEED TO LOOK AT THIS:
Phase Linear 400 (Series I) Schematic.jpg

So, please find the circle with the "VU" written inside. Notice the diode & resistor that the VU meter is connected to. I would want to find them physically and give them a close visual inspection. (Especially D17) Actually I would compare the VU meter circuitry on the Left channel and compare it closely to the right channel, and anything that doesn't match would warrant further investigation.

We could go on & on, meters & scopes, monitor how the DC rail voltage decays in 12 seconds, etc., any old electrolytic caps in the neighborhood, etc...but let's stop here for now & find out which of the 3 possible scenarios we are dealing with before going any deeper?

1) GOOD meter, victim of bad drive circuitry.
2) GOOD meter, GOOD drive circuitry, proximity effect of power supply caps.
3) BAD meter, otherwise good circuitry & physical meter location not an issue.

Take your time, enjoy the troubleshooting journey, and when you get a chance to post your findings we will pontificate further at that point. :0)

Good luck --

3D

Last edited:
Tagline

Some considerations:

When I was looking at your Exploded Diagram I noticed that the meter at rest was 'below' the starting point. Of course this isn't a valid angular position, so I didn't know if the meter was mechanically "zero'd" properly or not when in the normal (vertical) position?

PL 400 Meter with arrow to zero meter.jpg

Anyway, at some point in your journey, while the meters are installed but you can still get to the adjustment screw (see yellow arrow) make sure that both left & right meters are adjusted (with power off) so that the meter points to the short mark just before/below the -20db division.
(Or if the meters are out then just adjust them while they are vertical. (or same angle as during normal operation.)

With any luck this will get the meters to track closer to each other, especially when you feed the amp a mono signal off a test CD. (or equivalent)

Let us know if this mechanical adjustment was a) necessary, and b) if it helped.

Looks like you have something to look forward to this upcoming weekend. :0)

Cheers --

3D

Last edited:

AngrySailor

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---not quite right
The old meters aren’t zero adjustable. The later ones I’ve had apart to access the movement, the clip together and can be carefully opened with a fine screwdriver. I’m not sure about the older meters but you might be able to open them and gently tweak the needle to sit at zero statically.

AngrySailor

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---not quite right
Oops! AngrySailor, thanks for sharing your hands-on experience! I got faked by the photo. Q: Isn't it illegal to sell a meter that can't be properly zeroized? :0)

Anyway, the troubleshooting prior to that should be valid...

Trust, but verify --

3D
The meter you pictured is the later 400/1 meter and is zero adjustable. I’ve never worked on an old
Meter but I’m 99% sure it’s been stated many times they are not adjustable as the later series one meters are.

Tagline
Hey Carl182,

Check this out -- here's a web page where they are discussing different ways to zeroize a meter, and at the bottom of the page they showed a meter where there was no adjustment on the front (due to physical inaccessibility) ...so they put the zeroize adjustment on the back of the meter.

https://thermalrelief.com/twta001/

NOTE: I couldn't find anything Honeywell-specific. At any rate, since the printed face actually gives you the 'physical zero' marking, maybe the adjustment in on the reverse side so that the tech can get to it? (If it was a 2022 meter I wouldn't be surprised if they made a meter w/no adjustment, but back in the '70s any *real* meter always had a zero adjustment...I know I've adjusted countless meters in my travels. (Necessary or not, I can't help myself. :0)

Let us know what you find -- remember I'm here to learn vicariously through your adventures! :0)

Cheers -

3D

Tagline