phase linear 700 vs 400

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
The faceplate is easily scratched. Use any tools on the back rather than front.

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
square body cause I dint want a plastic 4x4
K-5, the amp should be there tomorrow or the next day. Before powering it up, if you comfortable doing it, take off the faceplate and make sure the four (two on either side of each meter) hold down screw clamps are still in place. If the come loose they can cause major problems. I don't glue them down cause I'm always moving stuff around. Also, I don't use a metal retaining bracket on the bulk capacitors on the left side of the photo because it interferes with the bridge rectifier wiring. Also looks much better :D. Instead I hot glue the capacitors down. Make sure they are still solidly held.

Finally and most importantly, there are hideously dangerous voltages in the amp. Button it up before you power it up. Also, be kind to your ears. I expect they are even more important to you than most of us!

Noise induced hearing loss:

http://dangerousdecibels.org/education/information-center/noise-induced-hearing-loss/
well next week I am going to see a good friend of mine I will have him open it and insect it is it ok if need be to spay it out with compressed air

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
square body cause I dint want a plastic 4x4
Sorry if I'm sounding too fatherly. One of my kids is your age.
not a problem at all

I am looking forward to playing first at my friends and then at my home the only thing that I think could be bad is since I live in single wide trailer my room is quite small

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
well next week I am going to see a good friend of mine I will have him open it and insect it is it ok if need be to spay it out with compressed air
No dust. Guaranteed. Looks just like Dorothy. Be sure to forward my instructions and warnings.

Last edited:

Fishoz

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Always learning!
not a problem at all

I am looking forward to playing first at my friends and then at my home the only thing that I think could be bad is since I live in single wide trailer my room is quite small

You're not going to have a problem. Read up on near field listening. Find you're sweet spot and you will be in heaven. Might take some trial and error on placement, toe in you're speaks a bit if necessary.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Couldn't hear you....
Me either!!!

On a side note, just dug 3 vehicles out (our Pathfinder, the rental and Makala's Ford F150, shoveled 100lb per shovel full snow full of water, snowblower died so Jake and I went at it

I feel like an old motherfucker right now, stupid winded, feels like my heart is going to blow through my chest

This is the weirdest storm I have seen in years, foot of snow and then it rained on it for a couple hours, still raining on the shit

Northwinds

Tagline
K-5, DO NOT LET SOMEONE WHO KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT THESE AMPS TOUCH FRED'S AMP

Unloosen the nuts ON THE BACKSIDE OF THE PLATE

Carefully lower the plate forward so you do not pull the light board wires out

You will see if the meters are loose, if so, get on the board or call one of us. If they are not, bolt the faceplate back up and tighten from the back using a box wrench to hold the bolt on the front

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Me either!!!

On a side note, just dug 3 vehicles out (our Pathfinder, the rental and Makala's Ford F150, shoveled 100lb per shovel full snow full of water, snowblower died so Jake and I went at it

I feel like an old motherfucker right now, stupid winded, feels like my heart is going to blow through my chest

This is the weirdest storm I have seen in years, foot of snow and then it rained on it for a couple hours, still raining on the shit
We have Three stooges weather...No Moe Snow!

no moe (1).jpg no moe (3).jpg no moe (4).jpg

And to answer you be CAREFUL, you and all of us are old Mofos. You could be the poster child, but please don't die before you run the risk of going blind? :blob4:

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I jest, but two of the biggest killers of men are heart attacks shoveling snow....

and FLY FISHING

(I.E. falling out of the boat with an open fly) :toothy5:

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Me either!!!

Still snow up here in the great white north...

Northwinds

Tagline
Looks like Maine is getting crushed. I have not heard from our member up in Maine roccus???

Northwinds

Tagline
It's all good bro, I am half blind also (cataracts and Fuchs Corneal Dystrophy) and the only reason I don't have many typo's is that I learned to type in high school without looking at the keyboard LOL

We should spay all our insects anyway, especially mosquitos :iconbiggrin:

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
K-5

Charlotte shows delivered and signed for by Lisa Brake.

A little background on Charlotte. I bought her off eBay in early 2014 for parts or not working. The seller said he tried to power her up but she started sparking and smoking and then blew a fuse. When she arrived I found auto fuses in the AGX fuse holders. You’d be surprised how often stupid stuff like that happens. She also was covered in cigarette tar outside and smelled terrible. Opened her up and the inside was a mess. Dirty, burned, and also smelling of cigarette smoke. Otherwise she was in pretty good cosmetic condition, other than a scratch at the top of the faceplate. OK, some work to do. We start a WOPL conversion of an amp in this bad a condition with a “bare metal†rebuild. See photo of Charlotte after I gutted her.

DSC_0000.jpg