phase linear 700 vs 400

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
At this point it’s time to clean all the parts that will be reused. Transformer, chassis, heatsinks, meters with bezel and faceplate. That’s it. Everything else is brand new. The biggest problem was getting the tar off the faceplate. Tried everything (even Mr. Clean!) and it just would not come off. Finally tried vinegar and the faceplate was shining like new. Long story short, Charlotte cleaned up real nice.

Next step is to build and install all the parts designed by Joe. He is Gepetto on the forum. Also the DC protection board designed by Don. He is wattsabundant on the forum. There are a lot of build threads so I will not go through all the detail. Here is a link to a photo collage of one of my builds, not Charlotte though.

http://forums.phxaudiotape.com/showthread.php/6107-700-Series-II-Conversion

Last edited:

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
The only difference in my builds is no SOA protection, heavier gauge wiring than spec, and slightly higher amperage fuses to handle 2 ohm loads. Infinity 9Kappas are my main speakers and are really hard for amps to drive due to the low impedance. They have been called amp killers. Very few amps can handle 2 ohms.

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
For about a month after I completed her Charlotte drove the 9Kappas solo without issue. Fan on the heatsink, of course. After that Dorothy joined her in bi-amping the 9Kappas. Much easier on the amps when they share the load. After about a year of using the twins on the 9Kappas I stored them in my bedroom closet with a towel over them to prevent dust settling. There they stayed for over a year until about a month ago when I moved Charlotte to my home office setup. She’s been running perfectly.

20170315_172436778_iOS.jpg

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
So what you have with a WOPL is vintage Phase Linear on the outside but brand new White Oak amp on the inside. The inside looks like it just came out of the factory. No need for a tech to clean it up and “go through it” to make sure it’s working ok. It’s new and is better that the old 400 because Joe has applied decades of advancements in both parts and electronic design. The old 400 could never handle 2 ohms.
Sorry for the long post but I thought it the best way to demonstrate what makes a WOPL different and, to Ron’s (Northwinds) point, of not letting techs unfamiliar with them work on them. In particular, if he is the tech with the AD-1 analyzer make sure he knows that he is responsible for any damage caused in testing the amp. Unless FedEx dropped it from a pretty good height it will be in perfect working condition so no check out is necessary.

Hope you enjoy having a little history on your new amp. It will still be running fine 30 years from now. However, it WILL be a vintage amp by then.

Plan to spend some time unpacking it. It’s double boxed in a big way.

Last edited:

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
square body cause I dint want a plastic 4x4
it is great I am sorry to do this to you fred but from this point on she is going to be known as

I do not teally know any techs as for the ad-1 I just put a pic of one I just thought it could beinteresting to see what 400s and 700s can really do since it has four test modes some time down the road I would like to give lana some handles what one fir or do they have to be custom made I can not say thanks enough

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
it is great I am sorry to do this to you fred but from this point on she is going to be known as

I do not teally know any techs as for the ad-1 I just put a pic of one I just thought it could beinteresting to see what 400s and 700s can really do since it has four test modes some time down the road I would like to give lana some handles what one fir or do they have to be custom made I can not say thanks enough
Enjoy it in good health. Lana is a great name. Especially Lana with handles. There are folks on the forum here that know all about handles that would fit a 400.

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
I for got ask will this take banana plugs cause there is no way my wire is going to fit in the holes

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Go to Radio Shack, get some expandable banana plugs, that way the insertion lenght is not critical....

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
Spades will work great. Those are overpriced though. Guys, you got any suggestions for a more affordable solution?
I agree and am open to advice but I have to say they are the right size for my wire I 8 gauge is way overkill but can complain with only 3 ohms on a 10ft run

Fishoz

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Always learning!
When was the last time you were in a Radio Shack...they haven't had anything like that for 10 years. No matter...they gone now.