phase linear 700 vs 400

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
square body cause I dint want a plastic 4x4
when all upgrades are done what is the true difference between a 700 and 400 power thd damppingfactor slew rate reserve power capacity if I understand it right the 400 has less output devices then the 700 I do not know how much of a difference that makes on paper and what you can actualy hear

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
when all upgrades are done what is the true difference between a 700 and 400 power thd damppingfactor slew rate reserve power capacity if I understand it right the 400 has less output devices then the 700 I do not know how much of a difference that makes on paper and what you can actualy hear
Output power, all else is identical because the electronics are identical. Just more output devices in the 700 and higher voltage power supply.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Not much(if any) difference in sound, just gain. A 700 has a ton of headroom. I have some custom built KClones and I can clip a 400 on em, not a 700 though. In fact I can simply destroy the K's with a 700.

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
I took a cheap pro audio speakers and reworked the I put a real xover in them took out the piezo horns and put in real horn tweeters removed the meh mids and 12 woofers for better one the mids and highs do not need more then 175w per cabinet but my dual voice coil 12 are not very efishent and use gobs of power my 1640 was not big enough for them and right now I am running a km991 and I am know I working it to its limits all tough I am set on a 700 would a 400 be anough for my needs

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
If you are like the rest of us....um NO! Remember , if you have large amounts of power on demand, and it's CLEAN power, your speaks can handle larger transients. Of course, the voice coils can only stand so much, and when pushing any speaker hard a cool down period is advised.

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
that all I need to I do not think a 400 will cut it for my needs all though I do not push my speakers hard very often I tend to listen with the preamp set between 7 and 9 oclock but I need as much reserve capacity as I can get cause some of the music I like is very bass heavy

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
I wish I could hear and demo one all ready every one is too far away I am getting my cash stash going also dose any one besides me use 8 gauge wire and I think it would be interesting to put a wopl on one of these

it can do any ohms it dose certified uncertified dynamic and burst it is used mostly to test car amps but it works great to test home amps as well

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
I wish I could hear and demo one all ready every one is too far away I am getting my cash stash going also dose any one besides me use 8 gauge wire and I think it would be interesting to put a wopl on one of these

it can do any ohms it dose certified uncertified dynamic and burst it is used mostly to test car amps but it works great to test home amps as well

You are 4 hours from me. It's worth the trip to audition a WOPL.... 8ga wire??? OVERKILL

Just sayin.....

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
You are 4 hours from me. It's worth the trip to audition a WOPL.... 8ga wire??? OVERKILL

Just sayin.....
wow I thought you were a more far a way then that now if I could get my stepdad to make some time to make 4 hour trip so I could hear it and then drive 4 hours back it would be no problem at if I could drive my self but given my problem that just is not going to and I could not ask some to waste a whole day to bring a blind man amp to listen to for about 30-45 minutes and then go back home that is just wrong to me now if I was going to buy it then maybe I do not see myself buying one till mid or late next year

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
How do you type and read this forum being blind? I'm not being a smart ass, I'm curious.
well I a considered leagely blind caused by optic atrophy I have this because my biological dad through me in the air and my forhead hit his chin my retnas almost detached from my brain this has left me physically and posibly mentally handycapt I read using the windows 7 magnafier and as for typing I hunt and peck

Last edited:

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
I forgot to say this had hapened wheen I was a year and half old give or take I have no memory of it and I have no memory of being able to see right

Last edited:

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
well I do have stick do not use it all the time but tend to go on my own as much as I can all though it is not all bad getting all the girls to hold doors open

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
I will jump in here and say a WOPL400 is a damn fine amp. There is several vids floating around of me burying the meters and it's insanely loud but I used Cerwin Vega speakers which are very efficient. A 700 is only 3dbs louder but as Lee said, has a ton of headroom. A 400 is no slouch in that department for most normal people. I can actually take a WOPL1000 right to 0dbs, it just takes some balls trusting your not going to fry your highs and mids, not worried about the woofs, they can take a lot of punishment. I use an EQ to control the high frequencies when I am firewalling

http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v514/maxwedge426/DSCF7335_zpskrsscsda.mp4