phase linear 700 vs 400

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
square body cause I dint want a plastic 4x4
I was trying to get my friend to buy a wopl since there is a listing for a 400 that has dcp board driver board and cap kit in allready the down side is it is only a 4 finer and it is my understanding that a 4 finer can not except the backpain board so it could never be full comp

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
also fred I was looking at the 700ii build you and the twin 400s why did you not opt for the phoenix conectors for the driver board or were they not an option yet

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I was trying to get my friend to buy a wopl since there is a listing for a 400 that has dcp board driver board and cap kit in allready the down side is it is only a 4 finer and it is my understanding that a 4 finer can not except the backpain board so it could never be full comp
Not true...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
also fred I was looking at the 700ii build you and the twin 400s why did you not opt for the phoenix conectors for the driver board or were they not an option yet
They have always been an option, soldering is what we do....

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
thank you but I was looking for more info and history like why did some have 4 when I my mind that is clearly not enough so they switch to 8 at some point when they should have had 8 from the get go I hope I am not being a scatter-brain and not causing a cluster-!@#$

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
My first Full Comp WOPL400 was a 4 fin, I had no problems with heating either with it, different story when it was just a Quasi Comp though. I have a dual fan setup that Jer made me and have them in reserve if I should ever need them

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
thanks so the people at phase linear saw that the heatsinks were not working very well and quasi comp runs hoter then full comp and then they reallized that 4 fins was not going to cut it and then they switched to 8 like the 700s

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
thanks so the people at phase linear saw that the heatsinks were not working very well and quasi comp runs hoter then full comp and then they reallized that 4 fins was not going to cut it and then they switched to 8 like the 700s
That is essentially it although PL went to 8 finners long before full comp. Ed could give more detail. I did not do phoenix connectors on the control board because 1) never intended to switch boards and 2) there is no substitute for a good solder connection.

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
That is essentially it although PL went to 8 finners long before full comp. Ed could give more detail. I did not do phoenix connectors on the control board because 1) never intended to switch boards and 2) there is no substitute for a good solder connection.
ok thanks also what color leds did you opt for seeing as there are 4 option

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
thanks I have seen the ebay listing for the led board and it shoowed the clear blue and the clear white the white looks good the blue was ugly to me when it come to leds I tend to like the warm white one the defused blue peaked my interest but I do know if I would like it or not clear white is fine though

Last edited:

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
thanks I have seen the ebay listing for the led board and it shoowed the clear blue and the clear white the white looks good the blue was ugly to me when it come to leds I tend to like the warm white one the defused blue peaked my interest but I do know if I would like it or not clear white is fine though
Here is the standard selection note that goes out when someone orders...

To possiblyhelp you out in this selection process, in order of popularity
1. ClearBLUE (most popular)
2. ClearWHITE
3. WarmWHITE
4. DiffusedBLUE (least popular)

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
Here is the standard selection note that goes out when someone orders...

To possiblyhelp you out in this selection process, in order of popularity
1.ClearBLUE (most popular)
2.ClearWHITE
3.WarmWHITE
4.DiffusedBLUE (least popular)
ok what one of the blues is on the ebay listing that is the one that I did not like sorry I hope this dose not sound rude what is you have done for these amp is a great enginering feat and I think you could not have pick a better amp for your products I could be getting the 2 mixed up can you tell me what one it is here is link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Phase-Linea...hash=item1a26eb0d18:m:m8afLdeSXNjWXGjUNcfni6w

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
ok what one of the blues is on the ebay listing that is the one that I did not like sorry I hope this dose not sound rude what is you have done for these amp is a great enginering feat and I think you could not have pick a better amp for your products I could be getting the 2 mixed up can you tell me what one it is here is link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Phase-Linea...hash=item1a26eb0d18:m:m8afLdeSXNjWXGjUNcfni6w
It is a personal preference item K5. As you can see most like the clear blue the best. I personally like Clear White or Warm White and all my amps are built with those.

The main picture is clear blue. It is hard for a camera to render the color balance properly.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
It is extremely hard if not impossible for a photograph to accurately depict what the subtle differences are in those choices between colors. I've tried and they just don't look the same in a pic...