Derek92994's 700 Ser II White Oak conversion

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Why are pin three's of the Backplane Boards not connected to Pin three's of the Control Board?
It came from here Mark. The PL400 backplane needed this change to support full comp operation properly. This is a 700 but was wired this way.

Attachments

derek92994

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
Can I clean the side of the board with the components on it with 98% alcohol without hurting the components themselves?

derek92994

Tagline
D80 Zener Lifted

Same Results:

VR1:
C 20.2 Volts, Sometimes 7.6, Sometimes 7.6 Then 20.2 for a short time after power down.
A 0 Volts
R 2.5 Volts
VR2:
C 0 Volts
A -20.5 Volts
R -17.0 Volts

I Will now clean the side of the board with the components on it.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
D80 Zener Lifted

Same Results:

VR1:
C 20.2 Volts, Sometimes 7.6, Sometimes 7.6 Then 20.2 for a short time after power down.
A 0 Volts
R 2.5 Volts
VR2:
C 0 Volts
A -20.5 Volts
R -17.0 Volts

I Will now clean the side of the board with the components on it.
You have removed D80 as a potential culprit. Since it regulates properly some of the time and flakey the other times the focus now turns to:
Is R85 intact (not cracked, burned, etc.)?
Does R85 have a solid 100V on one side when you are getting the 7.6V output or is it also dropping?
Does the collector of Q1, the MJE15032 have a solid 100V on it?

If all those things check out, the focus narrows to a flakey VR1.

derek92994

Tagline
You have removed D80 as a potential culprit. Since it regulates properly some of the time and flakey the other times the focus now turns to:
Is R85 intact (not cracked, burned, etc.)?
Does R85 have a solid 100V on one side when you are getting the 7.6V output or is it also dropping?
Does the collector of Q1, the MJE15032 have a solid 100V on it?

If all those things check out, the focus narrows to a flakey VR1.
0.75 Volts on top end of R85, and for some strange reason 0 volts on the C Pin of VR1

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
The pico fuses are on the backplane. With your probing around could you have accidentally blown he positive rail pico fuse?

you are probing in a sensitive area

derek92994

Tagline
The pico fuses are on the backplane. With your probing around could you have accidentally blown he positive rail pico fuse?

you are probing in a sensitive area
I doubt it, I have a good eye and was very steady at the time. I noticed changes after resoldering the back of the board, mainly the left meter pegging, but now its both meters pegging and staying that way on power up. (Edit) "After" I cleaned the component side of the board thats when I noticed C Pin on VR1 was dead. I will re test the picos, ohms I think? And report back after breakfast.

Last edited:

derek92994

Tagline
Before I started filming, was testing the left hand side top left pico, without any power to the amp, and my ohm meter just kept going higher and higher (wtf?) very strange.

I have filmed the pico tests separately, and have shown as much as possible in terms of meter range/connections, power up/down etc. I'm an electronics novice so I have no idea wtf is going on with this beauty.