It's getting late...

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I've never seen it set up with DRIVE LETTERS though. BIZZ. ARE.

Well, that was a short experiment and I think I broke it's cajones proving what a piece of crap Vista and IE9 are.

This computer needs a Windows 7 enema, as Jack Nicholson's Joker would say

orange

Tagline
Oh NO, that is the one I want 7 on first. Right now it's the only one ready.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
While it might be possible to load win 7 or win 10 on that machine my guess is the performance will be woefully inadequate. :toothy5:

I wouldn't waste my time, that machine is ready for the recycling heap.

orange

Tagline
The AMD you gave me was a 2.2 GHz. The only thing wrong with this Gateway is that it needs it's full 2 GB of DDR2 and a real OS/browser. IE 9 was horrendous and Vista was a resource hog IIRC. Windows 10's IE is a little bit better than IE 11 in Windows 7 but it still doesn't get along with vBulletin 4.2.1x and Yahoo (their fault mostly) very well.

Are you aware that bikeforums.net DOWNGRADED to vB 4.1.12 recently? Yesfans.com is still using 4.2.1 and I don't know which version The C.A.B.E. uses now, the version number and vBulletin references are gone and it just says c.2015 The Classic and Antique Bicycle Exchange, but the URL still has vbulletin in it.

If I pull the DDR2 RAM from that Gateway I could have the MSI K9 up and check it out.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Well if you bump the ram up to 2gb it will probably work. As far as browsers go, not sure why you stick with IE, any of the alternates I use have no problems with any forums at all. Firefox and Chrome are your friends. :toothy5:

orange

Tagline
Linux/FF will work much better with at least 1.5 GB, know I this!

orange

Tagline
Chrome is for car bumpers and grilles.

As I've told you before, I used Netscape in the beginning until my ISP at the time (and they didn't understand this very well in the late 90s or I guess it was overwhelming the support staff at the young internet division of the mutual telephone exchange) insisted we all either choose Netscape 6 (AOHell Mozilla) or IE (I could get up to 5.5) and the AOHell Netscape basically stunk compared to the 4.78 I was using. I don't like falling off a bicycle at all, much less more than once and 5x IE wasn't as horrendous as 3 and 4 by far so being a Windows user from 3.11 I just took Exit MS.

And Edge is whack. They had better stick to IE, which I think was their plan to start with. Edge is the Vista of browsers, or more correctly put the IE 9. But Jer needs to look at the current vB build we have here and compare it to Bike Forums downgrade. BF is part of Internet Brands and I understand that has some connection to Google.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
Here you are...I found that both the MSI K9VGM-V MB and the Vista Gateway take 2x 1GB Memory DDR2-667 (PC2-5300) 128x64 CL5 1.8v 240 Pin DIMMs. Tony had offered me some of this memory a while back although I don't know what size off hand I can find four of them on eBay if I understood the auction correctly, could figure if that was for a set of four (4x 1Gb) or I/4, but if that was just one I could get single and pair cheaper.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
These are the only DDR2 dims I have found in my stash thus far. They are super zoomie 5-5-5's.
They will down-clock to slower speed with improved latencies btw.
Don't know about that Gateway box, but that standard MSI mobo will accept up to 800's in dual channel mode.

20150828_113711.jpg

There are a ton of these OCZ dual channel kits on eBoy, used, for less than $20 with free shipping - at various speeds and as 2 x 1GB dimm kits.

Looking in a few other places now ...

Here you are...I found that both the MSI K9VGM-V MB and the Vista Gateway take 2x 1GB Memory DDR2-667 (PC2-5300) 128x64 CL5 1.8v 240 Pin DIMMs. Tony had offered me some of this memory a while back although I don't know what size off hand I can find four of them on eBay if I understood the auction correctly, could figure if that was for a set of four (4x 1Gb) or I/4, but if that was just one I could get single and pair cheaper.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
Sweet Mother of Pearl! Yes, both will run 800 MHz. A friend here also brought me two more 512 MB PC2-5300Us so I can at least try out the MSI...I found my thermal paste and am working on getting the heatsink and a fan on top.

I have a pair of 1 GB DDR PC3200 from that brand...DANDY!

He also left a Dell Dimension E310 and an old school B110.

It looks like the B110 might have a single core 3.06 GHz 64GJY Prescott with Hyperthreading. Or that's what the service code brings up. Crucial brings up this 1GB DDR PC3200 Unbuffered NON-ECC 2.6V 128Meg x 64 and it can take 2 for 2GB.

It's basically the Dimension 2400.

Now the E310 (aka 3100)...will take 2x 2GB....even a kid can do it...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UIXKvShrpI is proof.

Processor code is GG870 (PROCESSOR, 80547, PENTIUM 4 PRESCOTT DT, Pentium 4 Prescott DT, 2.8GHZ, 1 MEGB, 533FSB, LGA, G1). The base hard drive is 80 GB I think it

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/dimension-3100/manuals

Last edited:

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
I looked and the only DDR2 I have is two sticks of 512mb PC5300. Unfortunately I totally divested myself of DDR memory, but DDR and DDR2 are very inexpensive on ebay.

orange

Tagline
These are the only DDR2 dims I have found in my stash thus far. They are super zoomie 5-5-5's.
They will down-clock to slower speed with improved latencies btw.
Don't know about that Gateway box, but that standard MSI mobo will accept up to 800's in dual channel mode.

View attachment 21727

There are a ton of these OCZ dual channel kits on eBoy, used, for less than $20 with free shipping - at various speeds and as 2 x 1GB dimm kits.

Looking in a few other places now ...
I looked and the only DDR2 I have is two sticks of 512mb PC5300. Unfortunately I totally divested myself of DDR memory, but DDR and DDR2 are very inexpensive on ebay.
Thing is right now I haven't got it yet, gotta finish and sell some speakers and stuff. Right now I'm using that 16GB USB memory stick to see if I can save 10 Home and Pro and get some groove on.

orange

Tagline
Word is that people think all the WHITE SPACES in the Window frame SUCK and they want the colors back.

Microsoft is working on this I have heard.

After 20 years who would have guessed the ability to mix a spectrum of two colors across the top (and use your favorite fonts too I'd bet) would be the favorite feature Windows users desire?

I guess that this only proves that Edge has tanked and people are telling them quit wasting your time, make IE work. Folks just don't seem to like Edge a lot.

Edge is a shaving gel anyway.

orange

Tagline
LOOKEE HERE! Got me an ICY DOCK and 1 TB TOTAL with C: and E:

ICY DOCK IS BETTE.jpg Screenshot 2.jpg

orange

Tagline
I've only got two USB 2.0 connections on the MB so only one side will work if I want the card reader AND the firewire port with the right side USB ports to work.

HERE...SD card from the Canon

IMG_0045.jpg

orange

Tagline
Back to Deiia, haven't been able to use System Restore twice and I only have three restore points and some Windows Updates listed.

Tried one in June and one for March and each time brought errors.

I can't seem to get the IMG routine to work so attachment(s).

Attachments

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
IMG_0005.jpg And this is about what I will get from now on...this won't work.

orange

Tagline
AHA!! It's finally running CHKDSK!

Nope, something about update 3 or... then a STOP screen...

Now trying startup repair...if that doesn't work I have to reload Windows.

AND NO.

orange

Tagline
Now I'm just giving up and trying to reload Windows...That's what is happening now.