It's getting late...

derek92994

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
And finally for now, Malwarebytes has a new version 4.0.4 so go to malwarebytes.com and downlowd the free 14-day premium trial for real time protection then it reverts to the Free version
Yes, you lose realtime protection when it goes to free version. Only manual scans will reveal malware. I paid for it (and avast pro) and have never had a virus.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Even the free version of MBAM tends to block some sites, there is a tracking list of malicious site it refers to, and AVG Free also halts viruses realtime (Avast and AVG are co-owned)

And other than it not liking my Nvidia card (I can use the onboard if need be), Installation has moved on to updatines and will restart a few times and I haven't had a video problem yet.

DSC00078.JPG

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
I'm using it now but for some reason my email is not being accepted as my Microsoft account, the password is the correct one for it but MEH.

orange

Tagline
I did these things yesterday into this morning:

Samantha and Endora are now both Win 10, Samantha needs 1909. Like mother, like daughter (except a mortal owns both :D

Wylla (HP Pavilion m7690y) tried to convert twice and halted at the logo with no rotating balls. It froze there and I shut it off to let it revert. Wylla is 32-bit.

Oddly enough, Phoebe (Dell Vostro 410) is ALSO 32-bit but upgraded without a hitch, and IT'S A BIT OLDER...

Alison (HP Pavilion P7-1111) would freeze clicking on the setup file from the USB thumb drive I loaded both 32 and 64 bit Win 10 on...

so I went to bed at 5:30 - 6 AM and came back 1/2 hour ago, tried something different.

I ran setup as administrator. BAM! It's now installed and updating on Alison. I will try that on Wylla.

The good news is that I think all five W10 machines are already up to 1909 and just need a couple updates.

Shooting for number 6 now!

One other nice if small thing...Instead of having to wait a minute for the desktop slideshow to change images things switch the same as they did in Win 7...I have a BAZILLION images, so it's really fun to watch.

Hmmm...Is the Malicious Software Removal Tool working or not? It shows up in the queue but I never see if it ran. It was completely failing in Win 7 due to a bad piece of code.

I'm trying to run the Update Tool as an administrator on the remaining Pavilion Wylla so we'll see what happens.

orange

Tagline
No go, and this is the error message and link from the window if you click on Troubleshoot:

Wylla she or Wylla she not well not (7).JPG Wylla she or Wylla she not well not (9).JPG

What does it mean? I thought maybe the boot order was set wrong but it does this from the download as well as the thumb drive. It isn;t a corrupt file because I just made two installations from it.

orange

Tagline
I took Wylla to the computer shop and they got it converted to 10 successfully, cost me $75 but for a 400 GB hard drive with a tonne of free space it was worth it. I'm going to pick it up Friday.

The Hauppage WinTV 150 tuner card that came with the original XP Media Center PC installation was the reason that the video was orange and green so after removing that driver it was correct and I removed the card altogether before sending it off.

It may be smaller LOOKING but it weighs a LOT and I had to avoid knocking over a monitor and four of the 5.1 speakers for my Sansui by lifting it over...my back didn't adore that.

Homer's Odyssey is over now, at least where upgrading was concerned.

orange

Tagline
I spent a couple nights updating and fixing stuff and I'm about caught up now. There were a fre monthly cumulative updates to Windows 10 and Linux Mint released 19.3 'Tricia' over the holidaze.

I replaced the optical drive in this Dell and now I can burn CDs again. I can make mixes to record to cassette and then dub now.

DSC00569.JPG

Now I can fix other stuff and sleep again. Yay.

orange

Tagline
A tip for users of vintage audio cards...If the current Windows has forsaken your audio card (in this case Creatie Sound Blaster Audigy 2 series)...in other words 1903-up you MAY be able to reinstall the driver from the Creative site. In this instance the newest driver was SBAX_PCDRV_LB_2_18_0017 for Windows 7, which was dropped from active support but still available and worked for me. I have an Audigy 2 and a 2ZS that is in this machine (Phoebe).

Oddly enough, Windows 10 will use just about any stupid video card but it's picky about supporting older audio, and gamers love Creative as I could see from the TWELVE PAGE TOPIC on Microsoft Answers...