It's getting late...

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
for Windows 7 here.

I needed to get at least one. I've been told by the computer shop that I can download it free but it costs 160-170 to buy the key. At this point it would be cheaper to get a real copy of Home Premium on Amazon...but that opportunity it running out as they sell out before I can get to them and I have no money until the 1st and 3rd.

Yes I know I can load a card...still, it won't help if they're gone and I have to do this at least twice. I wanted to get one done in January and it hasn't panned out yet. I had too many things to get done first.

It's not like my stuff will get scabies and die the day after but it's not much help.

I'll look at what Microsoft wants.

There Ain't anything I can probably do about that, gonna need the real disc. Good grief-8 SUCKS.

NO, I'm NOT going to EVER get an ALT OS or browser. Netscape 6.0 was the end of that and after 36 years on computers I could care less for those. YMMV.

Last edited:

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
I was looking for a Win 7 computer for you but kind of lost my motivation after seeing how long the last computer lasted.

Keep your eyes open as MS and everyone esle will soon put Win 7 on sale as XP is phased out.

orange

Tagline
It's not on their website anymore for DL...and Amazon INSISTS that once the ones they have are gone they are GONE.

Your computer works but for video AFAIK. I just put it aside because I've had a lot of other things to do (and sell, donate, give away, toss)...the Evo is still there and works with an OS and I still have the Server disc...the quadcore is sitting at my left as I type.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
Going to call Joel at the secondhand store (the computer section guru) or go to Payette and see the computer repair shop for some advice. I don't see any Win 7 drivers on the ASUS site although I understand 32-bit should work okay. Now to check out the Evo and I could stand to recal what CPU was in it. I'll start it up and try BIOS in the morning.

It's 3 am.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Amazon can't get more Win 7 stock from MS, but there will still be tons of retailers that have stock and will continue to for years. I am not sure about Asus drivers for win 7. If you install the 32 bit Win 7 the XP drivers will most likely work just fine.

Last edited:

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
I think Steven is on a tight budget, so Win 7 Home would be fine. W7 Home Premium can be found online for $60 to $70 in the downloadable form.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
WHERE? I'm not even sure after visiting Microsoft if I can even get a KEY. Didn't see any downloads THERE.

And I'm to the point where I'm working to finish cleaning up in tiome for Monday's housing inspection to live here another year (which I'll pass otherwise), thengs are never selling fast enough and they're not expensive and I didn't get as much as I wanted for the Dell amplified speakers because he was going to worm out of it and I took half to keep it gone...I had to send Larry N of TH something this month for the Revox and I'm sore and tired at the end of the day and try to sleep most nights instead of days. Yes, it will be done, or shuffled into a shed temporarily but the guy in NJ with the repro knob caps keeps coming back to me at mid-month when I'm broke and forgetting I dfon't have Paypal and that SA-800 large cap that he was offering the ones you asked about them first before eBay comes out to $9.50 + 2.00 shipping, I have the replacement volume control, I'm trying to swap out the SX-D7000s control and where did I set the box? I have another SX I promised to Freddy1 on TH as a gift and owe him $98 excluding shipping as he is planning tocome this way when picking up some stuff (if you wanted some of those radio reels from Innovative Audio the guy he's getting 600 from bought most of them so here's your advance notice to get ahold of me or him and help Fred clear some out)...

I'm a lot busier than the average autistic person...and on less an $750 a month normally. I apparently like getting knee-deep and coming out with my boots still on. And I have that chip on my shoulder of catching up for the last 30 years to do what I always thought about...hmm, I AM a mess.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Save up $70 to get a win 7 license, then go buy a visa card pre loaded wit hthe $70 and buy in from an online retailer. I am not sure the retailers are legit though, probably best to buy from known retailer or ebay. You could probably buy on ebay with a money order too.

http://www.orglicence.com/microsoft-windows-7-professional-1-pc-license-and-media-32-64bit/

http://www.digisoftstore.com/Windows-7-Home-Premium-SP1-32-Bit--Download-_p_268.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-W...perating_Systems_Software&hash=item20dc506196

It probably would be best to wait till you have newer hardware to install win 7 though as the Asus drivers for vista might work, but no guarantees

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
Ummm, new hardware...I'm going to Dizz Knee Land. Not going to starve and live on a corner for that one...the quadcore is the newest I've ever had and anything used in this town is out of reach even at $150. Idoubt most of that stuff at that place is actually newer than the AMD. I got along fine with a 1.5 gb HP MATX until You Tube's requirements outstripped it.

It took 25 years (from 1992) to get to XP. The day I got a copy of 2000 Pro and got off of 98SE was a pretty good one.

I used to have a 3.1L SFI Pontiac Grand Prix seven years ago. Mom was always good to me when I needed a car badly. Retrograde is the in thing.

Not my fault they didn't sh!tcan that 10I0T Ballmer ten years ago when they should have...letting some gal named Suze run all over them with some crap shell thing.

My DVD burner is a Sony DRU-710A that is a pain in the butt to try and get to get to work...we're not even AT the burning stage, even if I had $70. For $100 I could at least get the physical disc.

Last edited:

Fairchild

Tagline
It's Beer Season!
I think Steven is on a tight budget, so Win 7 Home would be fine. W7 Home Premium can be found online for $60 to $70 in the downloadable form.
I look at Pro for the reason of the future, it will run 64 bits for more ram and can run XP programs, I hate having to by new programs because an os will no longer support a program, I bought a copy of Business Office years ago and don't want to buy another, with the disk you get the key also, Home can probably be found for less.

Jim

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
I doubt he would get any use out of any extra features Pro has over home. If he installs Home 64bit he can use up to 16 gb of memory which is plenty for now. I am thinking of the hardware he has and I don't know if any of it can handle a 64bit OS? It would be foolish to spend $100 he doesn't have for an OS he cannot use.

Steven you can probably pickup a newer HP Pavilion computer with Win 7 Home premium with a quad core, 1 TB HD and 4 to 6 gb of memory for $200 or so. That is only $100 more then the OS alone. Sure you wont get a install disc, but I have Win 7 Home Premium OEM install discs I can copy or you can even download Win 7 Home Premium ISO and burn to a DVD for your own install disc.

IMO your best option at this point is to keep your anti-virus up to date and keep on using Win XP.

orange

Tagline
John, can you please find the manual for that 7800 video card and or tell me for certain WHERE the other (three pin) Molex connector is supposed to go to?

If it's supposed to go to the connector on the A8NSLI board itself the biggest problem I have is that the 7800s Molex is MALE and the board connection is ALSO male.

No jokes...the extension to get from A to B has to be FEMALE to FEMALE. If the board is providing something to that other connection fine, otherwwise the TWO PIN Moles is going to one of the Antec PS two pin connectors marked FAN ONLY. Neither my helper nor I can figure out what that's about and he is an accomplished computer guy that gets the systems at the Bargain Center thrift in town and a local auction prior to that...Look at the pictures. The 3 pin connector is at least an inch short of comfortably connecting...and it's still MALE TO MALE. An alternative?

If some board designers had just left an AGP slot somewhere I'd stick a stupid Diamond on it for a while but you shouldn't have to be an RPG Scientist to put a damned video card in right or something...no, I'm not mad at you but I have no idea anymore what the coital session is up with the blamed thing. No biggie but where the Hell are the manuals for these things on the site or did they even make it?

Feel free to chip in, anybody, Jerry.

At least I can find everything. No sense in having a door fan with nothing but wires. You had those wires on the fan controller as I seem to remember so I really dont know.

Attachments

Last edited:

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Steven they are used parts I don't have owners manuals, Google the part number and find the manuals online . Remember Google is your friend. The motherboard and graphics card both connect to the power supply, there is no cable that connects the motherboard to the graphics card. The graphics card gets some of it's power from the motherboard through the slot it is plugged into and it gets the balance from the power supply through the 6 pin connector on the end of it.

The motherboard needs a four pin molex from your power supply connected to it just like the first image below. Take an old school male four pin molex from the PSU and plug it into motherboard.

The graphics card needs the Y adaptor I had installed in the computer when I send it to you just like the second image. Take two four pin male molexes from the PSU connect to y adaptor then connect other end of Y adaptor to the graphics card. The reason you are using this y cable is because the power supply I sent you does not have a 6 pin graphics molex on it. Newer power suplies do have thes type of connectors though.

The graphics card needs all three of these to be plugged in to work.

4 pin molex.JPG

Graphics connector.JPG

Last edited:

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Steven, your board looks like the one below. In addition to supplying power to the graphics card via two four pin inline molexes to 6 pin vga connector you need to hook three power cables from the power supply to the motherboard as shown circled in red in the image below. Your power supply has a connector for each of these connectors. These are a 20/24 pin mobo cable, a four pin innline molex and a four pin square supplemental cpu power cable.

The only thing that needs to be plugged in to a three pin connector on the motherboard is the fan on the cpu. The three pin connectors on the mobo are to plug in case/cpu fans.

A8N-SLI.jpg

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
BINGO!

As you can see we have a computer, now I have to resolve the other SATA drive that seems to have had the cable come loose or something and we have the DUAL CORE (AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+) going again.

And YES, the GeForce 7800GT is the video card!

Attachments

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Either the cmos battery went dead or somoen reset the bios? From your boot screen I can see you have a cmos checksum error and defaults are loaded. That board has both nvida sata Raid and silicone raid plust the ide channels. You may need to go into the bios and switch on the nivide sata channels that you are using for the drives. Either that or the boot 750gb drive power cable and or data cables are not fully connected.

Or it might be wise to disconnect the 200 gb drive from the motherboard an just have the 750gb drive connected to make sure it is working. The os is on the 750 gb drive and the 200gb drive is totally empty.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
Memory jogged...it was the SATA cable...it won't stay on that drive. I tried using some electrical tape to hold tin in place but it was loose again. How to keep it on is the question to solve.

One end is cracked. I removed the smaller drive but I cannot get the 750 to register no matter whether I've connected what I gather is the SATA power connection or not. If I remove that one no drives show.

I see an NVRAID setting but do not know how to set that properly, much less they are set for AUTO which I'd think was nominal.

Attachments

Last edited: