It's getting late...

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
okay...

I went through the rigmarole and got it straightened out and now I'm getting rid of Chrome and figuring it out/installing updates and such but I really want 7 on this computer, not Vista and if IE really becomes a PITA I'll switch to Firefox before I ever go to 10.

orange

Tagline
This is Vista (what was on Callie)

Actually, updating 7 is a lot easier than Vista.

orange

Tagline
Thank you for the half dozen CR 2032 cells, Web, I've been getting them installed in the needy computers as I have them up.

orange

Tagline
I hope to have the AMD dual core going again with a different video card and Linux later on, it's almost done with one drive.

orange

Tagline
And now I think I have all but two motherboard connections from the front panel hooked in.

orange

Tagline
Callie, the Vista Gateway, got that iPod port thing removed and a floppy drive installed in it's place...

and I found all the music, especially the CHRISTMAS tunes

The AMD dual core still isn't finding the two SATA drives...do I need to jumper them?

The Dell Dimension just beeps and no video.

Now I'm going to bed. I've fired up every computer except the MSI K9 board.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
No jumpers on sata drives. You have to go into the bios and enable the sata ports. I dont recal if your board has four sata ports or eight? If it has eight ports then you have four nforce ports and four silicon ports. You will need to look for the advanced tab and enable the Nvidia or silicon image ports, which ever one you are planning on using. Or you can just enable all of them.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
Four. I SHOULD THINK the SATA is enabled, I looked.

I know why I have no video on the Dell...I need to temporarily remove the card and set it up in BIOS, then install...

Anyway, I have an additional 500 GB drive in Callie that has most of my backup files, Delia's, and media files. That's where I should be getting most of my addresses and the label templates.

I'm still trying to find a good motherboard diagram for Callie (Gateway GM5684E) that shows where everything is but all I get are little pictures from the Gateway site showing the connectors and I have to light and magnify the darn board to see. I have a pair of lighted loupe goggles tho. I still don't quite see where the front panel RCA jacks on the 20? pin small white connector go. Audio AND video. And I have four removable drive listings that don't exist and need to come off.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
If the data ports are enabled, then you may have bad data cables, drives or motherboard. Start from square oNE and check data and power cables, and also that drives are enabled in bios. If you reset the bios intentionally or by accident I believe the default setting is disabled.

orange

Tagline
I'll reset it but I don't see the problem.

Now my Win 10 WMP is not going to be jolly about ripping my Christmas tunes to edit for the CD. Scalawag...it's probably a Carly Fiorina virus :hal

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
I think I have to copy to the desktop and go from there, but I'm running Valerie right now.

I'll keep working in the bathroom on the others.

I'll get a stool to sit on though. Okay I see where there's a tasteless joke to fire back but MEH.

orange

Tagline
Finally figured out all my media files on the 500 GB HD (Monica) were set to read only...now I have about 30,000 of nearly 70,000 files registered in the Windows Media Player Library on Callie.

Now that's over 250 GB of files...I'm gonna have Big Phun sorting through the duplicates I KNOW I have.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
I also figured out that the multi-card reader built in to the computer at the top is seen as four USB devices and each device is assigned a DRIVE LETTER? Well, there are two USB ports in addition to the four card slots. I'm going to try and streamline the process and change I:Monica to D: before I reboot.

I tried taking a screenshot of the System listing but it ended up really small using paint and saving it to post here (I didn't change the size either). I'll try again with part of the page...

Callies stats.jpg

Last edited:

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
That is pretty mmkuch the omnly way I have seen card readers hooked up is either through a usb connector or if internal hooked up to a usb header on the motherboard.