Rocking the free upgrade to Windows 10

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
GRRRRRR, Stupid MS idiots. I clean up my win 7 installation and reinstall win 10, stil la few errors but install works around them. Get to the desktop and everything seems to be working fine. Changed a few things all is well. Rebooted the sytem for some updates and of course no mouse or keyboard upon reboot. Hook up ps2 kb and navigate painfully to device manager and of course no usb drivers installed. I cannot find a ps2 mouse to navigate to try to install the drivers.

I am doubting that this install will ever work with win 10. I am pretty sure I'll have to resort to a clean win 10 install. MS must have installed temp usb drivers or the old ones were working on the first reboot.

Typing this on my win 8.1 install. I'll have to shelve the win 10 upgrade till next weekend weh nI have more time.

Last edited:

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
What is this computer? And just reboot...did your 7 installation drop things occasionally too?

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
No, win 7 worked fine. I now have win 10 working. Microshaft blocked the network and usb drivers because they were known to have win 10 issues.

I had to hook up a ps2 to usb adaptor for the mouse and burn some win 10 drivers on a disc and install them. Win 10 still didn't like network driver and Asus blamed it on MS. I simply uninstalled network driver and let MS pick one it liked. so far so good. Waiting for the next issue..:toothy5:

Computer is Asus Mobo with AMD 8 core processor, 16 gb of ram and dual boot win 8.1 and now win 10.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
See? If a bozo like me can wring it out, I knew you could.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Yeah I knew I could get it installed, but I just didn't want to take the time. The computer has working drivers for Win 7, you would think Win 10 could figure out if they work or not and if not get the correct drivers from the Asus website so I am not left with a computer with zero access.

Oh well, the next install attempt will be on a backup computer. I may just do a clean install and try to avoid the headaches.

Some who upgrade may be out of luck as their mobo manufacturers may be out of business or may not have any suitable Win 10 drivers.

orange

Tagline
You can find a lot of them somewhere, look them up...there is stuff out there for early K6 even.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Avoid the noid.

Go into Device Manager and run the update drivers function,
allowing Windows to search online. The repository of drivers
at Microsoft's disposal is huge now and it will do a good job
assigning the right drivers on older machines with much success.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Avoid the noid.

Go into Device Manager and run the update drivers function,
allowing Windows to search online. The repository of drivers
at Microsoft's disposal is huge now and it will do a good job
assigning the right drivers on older machines with much success.
Yeah I tried that without luck on the drivers that I needed. Win 10 blocked the devices from working and told me I needed to contact the vendor. Asus had a driver utility for win 10 that will update install compatible drivers, worked with everything except for the network card. When it updated the network card I couldn't connect, so I uninstall the Asus driver and went to the windows driver update and the windows one worked.

The Windows driver update told me it couldn't find a better driver, but in the device properties it gave a code 48 saying that this driver has known win 10 issues and to contact the vendor for the device driver.

I still have one driver to work out, but it is for usb card reader, not a big deal at this point.

The number two lesson is make sure you have working drivers installed be fore rebooting the first time.

It is all in a day's work.

Last edited:

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Asus is one of the best with regard driver/utility support. Surprised to hear that their tool didn't work smoothly.
Sounds like a newer mobo. Which one is it?

Yeah I tried that without luck on the drivers that I needed. Win 10 blocked the devices from working and told me I needed to contact the vendor. Asus had a driver utility for win 10 that will update install compatible drivers, worked with everything except for the network card. When it updated the network card I couldn't connect, so I uninstall the Asus driver and went to the windows driver update and the windows one worked.

The Windows driver update told me it couldn't find a better driver, but in the device properties it gave a code 48 saying that this driver has known win 10 issues and to contact the vendor for the device driver.

I still have one driver to work out, but it is for usb card reader, not a big deal at this point.

The number two lesson is make sure you have working drivers installed be fore rebooting the first time.

It is all in a day's work.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
The board is an Asus Sabertoooth 990FX.

Asus has a utility called "Drivers for Life" which looks like it was hastily put together with spelling errors and syntax errors. It scans your installed board drivers and recommends backing up certain ones. I think they use Backup instead of Update? :wink: Anyway by selecting backup it looks to be installing new drivers.

The Drivers for life found issues with a handful of usb drivers, usb 3.0 drivers, lan drivers, and video drivers. It was tough navigating without a mouse since none of the usb ports worked at all. The board has one PS2 Port but of course I tossed all PS2 mouse or sent them to Orange. I finally found a PS2 to usb converter in my parts bin and was able to at least get a working mouse.

The drivers it want to install for the Realtek network card don't work in Win 10, but the drivers Windows installs do work.

I still need to go through and make sure the other devices such as sound work too, just didn't have time last night.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
That's a nice mobo.

About that utility,
you mean 'DriveTheLife '... right?

The board is an Asus Sabertoooth 990FX.

Asus has a utility called "Drivers for Life" which looks like it was hastily put together with spelling errors and syntax errors. It scans your installed board drivers and recommends backing up certain ones. I think they use Backup instead of Update? :wink: Anyway by selecting backup it looks to be installing new drivers.

The Drivers for life found issues with a handful of usb drivers, usb 3.0 drivers, lan drivers, and video drivers. It was tough navigating without a mouse since none of the usb ports worked at all. The board has one PS2 Port but of course I tossed all PS2 mouse or sent them to Orange. I finally found a PS2 to usb converter in my parts bin and was able to at least get a working mouse.

The drivers it want to install for the Realtek network card don't work in Win 10, but the drivers Windows installs do work.

I still need to go through and make sure the other devices such as sound work too, just didn't have time last night.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
That's a nice mobo.

About that utility,
you mean 'DriveTheLife '... right?
Yeah that's probably it. Not in front of the computer right now. :toothy5: I don't think my version had the update button though, it was labeled Backup or something stupid like that.

Screen Shot 2015-08-10 at 1.23.05 PM.jpg

Although you can use it to back up your current drivers too, so maybe that is why it had a backup button.

Last edited:

BlazeES

Tagline
---
I thought that might be the program were talking about.
That's third-party freeware, not an Asus program, but it does get high marks on cnet.

Yeah that's probably it. Not in front of the computer right now. :toothy5: I don't think my version had the update button though, it was labeled Backup or something stupid like that.

View attachment 21478

Although you can use it to back up your current drivers too, so maybe that is why it had a backup button.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
I usually used Driver Booster2 by Iobit, but thought I'd give that one a try.

Driver Booster seems to work greet on all my other computers, I use if for all drivers except graphics drivers that I get from Nvidia or AMD. I don't update the graphics drivers every time they bring a new one out though. I don't game so if the driver is stable I only update a few times a year at most.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
There's a program called 'Classic Shell' for giving back the real Start Menu.
It's free, stable as all get-up and you can customize it to look like XP, Vista, 7, etc etc.
The Win X start menu isn't what they hinted it would be.
Install Classic Shell and feel right at home ...

:happy2:
Yep been using classic shell in my win 8.1 rigs. Just installed on 10. On the top of the start menu there is a bar to start the win 10 menu too. Pretty slick having both of them at your fingertips.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
After you clone recover, I'd run the full suite of DISM commands to see if your libraries have that typical fouled up thing going on.
The upgrade should go smoothly if your 7 or 8.1 library stores and registry are solid.
Yeah I did that before the second update attempt. No problems found. I think my original win 10 dl was fouled up as I probably shut the computer off four or five time during the DL. I simply burned the iso to a dvd for the second install.

So far everything is working fine and yes the os seems pretty peppy.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Now if the installation makes it for 29 more days 25 gb of ssd space will be freed up once win 7 gets dumped. Not sure if the user has any control over that though?