Rocking the free upgrade to Windows 10

BlazeES

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Installed quick,
nothing borked (as in all my software - some old, some new - still works)
seems to have turbo charged my system a whole bunch
and best of all ...

it was free. :happy2:

NavLinear

Installed quick,
nothing borked (as in all my software - some old, some new - still works)
seems to have turbo charged my system a whole bunch
and best of all ...

it was free. :happy2:
I was waiting for a guinea pig :ugeek: that has a good understanding of computer systems to give their views on the upgrade to Win10. The same upgrade has been offered to me but I've waited to pull the trigger based on some www reviews. Thanks for the input!

BlazeES

Tagline
---
I was waiting for a guinea pig :ugeek: that has a good understanding of computer systems to give their views on the upgrade to Win10. The same upgrade has been offered to me but I've waited to pull the trigger based on some www reviews. Thanks for the input!
I'll update this thread as I dive deeper into this upgrade.

Updating my notebook next ...

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I've got it reserved for this Pavilion, would prefer to get a copy of 7 installed instead of the Vista on the dual core Gateway.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
I have selected to DL it but MS must be using a first reserved first serve system because if keeps telling me it will let me know it is my turn.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Mine uis ready to go as I was reserved early, just worried about change and there is a few things others are saying you have to do like making sure your wifi settings are changed so others can't use it, start menu shit etc... I will wait and see what others say

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Just found out that Internet Explorer is still intact, just hidden from plain view.
It's easy to search it and pin it back on the task bar.

They are pushing this new browser called 'Edge'. It's only useful in tablet mode from what I can tell.
Doesn't matter much to me as IE 11 is still there and all my previous bookmarks and such were retained.

One other thing worth noting,
you can do the full install of Win X and try it out.
If you don't like it and/or you have some critical programs that no longer work,
you can easily one-click go back to where you were before. Painlessly.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Mine uis ready to go as I was reserved early, just worried about change and there is a few things others are saying you have to do like making sure your wifi settings are changed so others can't use it, start menu shit etc... I will wait and see what others say
There's a program called 'Classic Shell' for giving back the real Start Menu.
It's free, stable as all get-up and you can customize it to look like XP, Vista, 7, etc etc.
The Win X start menu isn't what they hinted it would be.
Install Classic Shell and feel right at home ...

:happy2:

BlazeES

Tagline
---
I have selected to DL it but MS must be using a first reserved first serve system because if keeps telling me it will let me know it is my turn.
You can Google Windows 10 recovery download and get right to a Microsoft webpage that gives you the option to
download what is called a recovery media creator. That small program doesn't only do that but it also gives you
the ability to install - in place - as an upgrade to the machine it is running on. I also used it to create a USB
thumb drive to make an install package for my other machines.

You can skirt the "reservation" thing all together ...

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Yeah I found other ways to get 10, but I only run my computers from 7pm till 10pm weekdays so I probably miss the window of opportunity during the week. Besides I want to make a clone of my win 7/8 drives before I let MS screw with them. I just don't trust MS to completely be able to undo/revert anything properly. :toothy5:

orange

Tagline
Let's put it tis way...

I have THREE working computers at the moment, and one that is an XP box a friend is supposed to be buying that is ready to go and not capable of going past 7.

I have three monitors, two that are semi-flaky (not enough Crisco man) and I can get one back up okay for now by turning it off again a few times as it sits there are blinks for a fraction of a second during startup, yet the on screen display says Monitor going to sleep without any problems. I suspect something drifting out of spec there and it's on Valerie, the other Micron that is still up at the moment. It's an HP vf15 small standard aspect, the third is an Envision 15"? standard aspect.

So that leaves me with a Gateway using Vista/IE 9 and a dual core Pentium 2.60 GHz that I'd love to use a 64 bit builder's disc for 7 on but for the licensing costing me 150 dollars at the computer shop.

Now, I can troubleshoot monitor problems and video card troubles to a point...and I can reset IE and build back up with some thought but I've got my best computer sitting here waiting to be hogtied by a download that could be handled by a DVD in under an hour regarding the installation, and be done within the day for updating (especially with 7), and I could do that with 4 computers at once.

FREE is not really free if it takes so much time. You're still talking about the same thing no matter which download option you take. Not everyone has the kind of speed that would make this DL comparable to a DVD install. It would seem like 14.4 kbps to some of us. And I haven't really heard a lot about any Blu-Ray ROM discs, which would seem to make for a lot easier and faster loading, IF you could place separate data streams on each layer and multiplex the read.

There are more twists and turns, misinformation and DISinformation out there than it seems to be worth at some times. No wonder it just confuses and vexes so many. No doubt it feels like being taken by a unethical mechanic or a quack to some of them. A computer is a box to them, like a car.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Let's put it tis way...

I have THREE working computers at the moment, and one that is an XP box a friend is supposed to be buying that is ready to go and not capable of going past 7.

I have three monitors, two that are semi-flaky (not enough Crisco man) and I can get one back up okay for now by turning it off again a few times as it sits there are blinks for a fraction of a second during startup, yet the on screen display says Monitor going to sleep without any problems. I suspect something drifting out of spec there and it's on Valerie, the other Micron that is still up at the moment. It's an HP vf15 small standard aspect, the third is an Envision 15"? standard aspect.

So that leaves me with a Gateway using Vista/IE 9 and a dual core Pentium 2.60 GHz that I'd love to use a 64 bit builder's disc for 7 on but for the licensing costing me 150 dollars at the computer shop.

Now, I can troubleshoot monitor problems and video card troubles to a point...and I can reset IE and build back up with some thought but I've got my best computer sitting here waiting to be hogtied by a download that could be handled by a DVD in under an hour regarding the installation, and be done within the day for updating (especially with 7), and I could do that with 4 computers at once.

FREE is not really free if it takes so much time. You're still talking about the same thing no matter which download option you take. Not everyone has the kind of speed that would make this DL comparable to a DVD install. It would seem like 14.4 kbps to some of us. And I haven't really heard a lot about any Blu-Ray ROM discs, which would seem to make for a lot easier and faster loading, IF you could place separate data streams on each layer and multiplex the read.

There are more twists and turns, misinformation and DISinformation out there than it seems to be worth at some times. No wonder it just confuses and vexes so many. No doubt it feels like being taken by a unethical mechanic or a quack to some of them. A computer is a box to them, like a car.
If you don't already have a machine with 7 or 8.1 ... then yes .. it's not free for you.
Hopefully you'll score a semi-working rig in the next 12 months with one of these two OSes.

orange

Tagline
I only have TWO running that have UEFI that I know of (maybe the tower Web built too but it was XP and that huge drive farted). The Micron twins, Delia and Valerie are not capable due to hardware requirements. They both have conventional Phoenix BIOS.

orange

Tagline
Now you can see why I'm not all that enthusiastic to dive in the pool.

orange

Tagline
I got the Get Windows 10 icon on the Micron (Valerie) but it complains about my Geforce 6200. Not sure I have one that works with 10 and the main suggestion is to install the driver before them installation at this point based on NVidia posters. But not the 6200 and not even the 7800GTX I gather.

No guarantee that it will install and the computer is from 2003. Maybe Microsoft is dumb.

orange

Tagline
Okay, I've gotten the confirmation it's ready and I'm about to potentially screw a good computer over. Not this one, the Pavilion.

We'll see you on the other side, Alison, I hope.

orange

Tagline
Okay, I've gotten the confirmation it's ready and I'm about to potentially screw a good computer over. Not this one, the Pavilion.

Until I get Alison her new OS crap ain't gonna happen on this one at the same time maybe, or else vB is whiny.

orange

Tagline
Now I'm confused...wouldn't the Get Windows 10 icon NOT appear if this computer weren't even capable of running it?

The video card fails the test but...

25% complete, much faster than I thought it would be...

orange

Tagline
Getting nasty trying to insert images again...looks like about 65% through the preparation for installation.