Rocking the free upgrade to Windows 10

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Installed quick,
nothing borked (as in all my software - some old, some new - still works)
seems to have turbo charged my system a whole bunch
and best of all ...

it was free. :happy2:
Did it take more than 30 minutes for it to finish shutting down after installing...still stuck in the Win 7 shutdown screen?

orange

Tagline
After an hour I went to the Microsoft Community site and following a couple reads took the chance and shut it down hard.

It's going again. There will be some settings for that I'll need to update APPARENTLY.

MVC-028S.JPG

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
PS I seem to be doing much better if I preview the post post before posting it or go advanced after I finish editing.

orange

Tagline
I'm there. Stay tuned.
MVC-037S.JPG

orange

Tagline
I got it going okay and I found a way to open in the IE SHELL (it's just like the 'DOS' in XP) and remove the EDGE icon from the taskbar. You can always open EDGE from the Start Menu but unless you re-pin it to the taskbar it goes away when you close the windows in it.

The CALCULATOR app is ugly, stark white with black letters but it can be expanded to full screen or stretched to a custom size and shape like a conventional window. If you do resize it a side window will appear with History and memory to switch between... gather you can recall previous operations and plug them in. Mousing over a key briongs up a grey box over itlike a button, except for =(equals) which turns the chosen color that you picked for a background color? (in my case a blue shade). You have several type of calculators from STANDANDS and SCIENTIFIC...I can't make a screen shot to send to this computer and I need to charge the camera but it's almost all you might want for decent engineering purposes.

orange

Tagline
Oh JOY! I just installed the USB floppy in Windows 10!

Now if I can just find another one 7 license cheap to install on the Gateway with Vista, and then maybe the dual core that's been sitting around awaiting a rebuild after Web gave it to me and the hard drive went plop.

This has gone much better than I ever thought it would!

MVC-021S.JPG MVC-074S.JPG MVC-075S.JPG Okay, I haven't gotten it to rotate and save in Photo Viewer yet.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
I NEED TO ASK JERRY SOMETHING THOUGH...

I have a problem on this vBulletin site only, to my knowledge so far...

I keep losing the server now and then and have to either refresh or close and open the site again. That might not be the only problem and some old troubles have popped up again. Please get back to me?

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Did it take more than 30 minutes for it to finish shutting down after installing...still stuck in the Win 7 shutdown screen?
I've upgraded 7 machines so far.
The older the system - and small RAM and slower HDD's are probably the biggest bottlenecks - the slower the installation.
The install package has to comb through your registry to make sure everything is accounted for before the last boot iteration.
My Win 7 machines (x2) took the longest time.

My main home computer that is blown out faster than Steve McQueens best ride, upgraded in break-neck speed.
I thought for sure something would be messed up because it just seemed too fast for an upgrade.
Everything went smooth to my surprise ... and now this machine cold-boots in 10 seconds.

Needless to say, I like Windows 10.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Hey, just something worth mentioning.

Windows 10 has a bunch of settings that are on by default that you might want to turn off.
The Cortana thing "learns" your habits and it will then push that sh ! t into the cloud and - LOL - to the NSA ;-).

I recommend disabling those learning functions as well as any personalized ad targeting.

As Rand Paul says, "it's non of their damn business!"

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
I already need to fix the win 10. I changed some screen setting and it told me I need to log off, couldn't find the log off so I rebooted. Now stuck on bckground with win clock and calender. I don't see any options to log in.

Back to the drawing board I guess.:x

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Well after f-ing around with it for half an hour trying all sorts of win repair and recovery options nothing worked but the restore to previous build. I went to win 10 and back in 10 to 15 minutes either direction.

I'll have to dl win 10 upgrade in one piece and try again.

Tony where are you getting your upgrade installs?

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
I still have not done our 3 computers, waiting to see how everyone else manages. I definitely want some of the features turned off though. Don't need my shit on some cloud

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Yeah, not sure when I want to try again? I made a thumbdrive and dvd for install. Now I'll just pick one of my other computers as a guniea pig. I have three desktops and one laprtop so one of them is going to get fully backed up and it will be the guniea pig so to speak. My main rig is a win 7/ win 8.1 dual boot so the win 7 didn't work out right maybe I'll try upgrading the win 8.1 drive.

I think I can do a clean install too. I'll have to ponder it for awhile.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Grab the right one ... 32 or 64 bit. And don't eff around with the USB option, it's borked. Download the ISO file and burn the DVD.

If you're asked to log-off, they call it "Sign Out" now and you get to it by right clicking on the Start Menu icon ... bottom left corner.

Something else that helps some installs is this:

Uninstall any dedicate graphics card drivers while you're still in your current version of Windows.
Then use the standard Windows graphics drivers built-in to whatever version you currently are using.
After you get to the point of letting Win X do all the Windows Update downloads and associated reboots,
then download & install the Windows X drivers for you graphics card/chip. If your card is old and doesn't
have those ... using the latest available. Win 7 or 8.1 drivers shouldn't be an issue in most cases.

Graphics drivers seem to be the one Achilles heal to a smooth upgrade for older rigs.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
Well after f-ing around with it for half an hour trying all sorts of win repair and recovery options nothing worked but the restore to previous build. I went to win 10 and back in 10 to 15 minutes either direction.

I'll have to dl win 10 upgrade in one piece and try again.

Logging off is found in the POWER menu (new name for START).

You can still find Windows Update and check for updates, especially for other MS programs, and you CAN turn the updating off to an extent (as in NOTIFY ME).

And yes, Tony, I have the Media Creator app to DL and save Windows once I have 7 where I want it.

Now, I resent you a chain of email conversations related to the two builder's/refurbishing? discs you sent PRIOR to me buying my licensed 7 disc, from APRIL 2014...yes it's been that long.

Last edited:

BlazeES

Tagline
---
One more tip. If you guys are like me, you like having stuff in certain places and when new versions of Windows come out, the
rearrangement thing can be daunting. So here's the tip: Right clicking on the Start Menu icon gives you ALL the familiar quick
access buttons to stuff you probably use a lot like me; e.g. control panel, computer management, programs and applications.
You can also search "My Stuff" with magnifying glass and then pin your commonly used buttons either to the Start Menu tiles and/or
the task bar ... which is what I do for my favorite tools.

Good luck with your reinstall John! :happy2:

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Yep, that is where I downloaded my thumbdrive installs. The first upgrade went without a hitch and I used it for several hours, when I updated the icon sizes on the task bar it asked me to log off, so I shut down and rebootet on reboot it would look like it was loading normally and then end up with a desktop image with the network taskbar icon, but no desktop icons and no mouse pointer.

I eneded up using F8 to get the built in recovery console, but alas I did not yet have any restore points. I tried the fixboot option and it couln't complete that either I tried just about everything and as a last resort tried the roll back to last build, which hung up too, but a hard reset got it going and I am back to win 7 for now.

I may either retry on this computer later on or try a clean install if the retry doesn't work. In the mean time I'll practice on a few back computers.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Logging off is found in the POWER menu (new name for START).
It's still officially called the Start Menu.

And if you want Windows Updates and settings, another convenient way, hit the Notifications button in the bottom right corner ...
near the task bar time. Through that path you get the other "new" way of configuring and updating your system in replacement
of what was previously called the "Charms" bar.

Last edited: