Rocking the free upgrade to Windows 10

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I never looked there before, always Amazon. A friend bought a counterfeit 7 or 8, don't know which anymore and don't know if he got it to work either. Since he left town over a year ago and doesn't have that computer anymore either I don't know any more but I think he finally had to get a genuine copy.

I have no idea what to look for in that respect and no money to waste.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Well buy from a reputable dealer if you are worried about it being genuine. Windows 7 Home Premium or home is often sold in 3 packs called Family packs which sell for less then if you purchase three single versions.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Now if the installation makes it for 29 more days 25 gb of ssd space will be freed up once win 7 gets dumped. Not sure if the user has any control over that though?

Disk Cleanup

will remove the Windows.old recovery if you don't want to wait.
Simply tick that box in the items to clean main list, after running through the secondary, "clean up system files" step.
Create a system recovery image prior to doing so if you think you ever want to go back ... even though I doubt you will.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation

Disk Cleanup

will remove the Windows.old recovery if you don't want to wait.
Simply tick that box in the items to clean main list, after running through the secondary, "clean up system files" step.
Create a system recovery image prior to doing so if you think you ever want to go back ... even though I doubt you will.

Yeah I already did that. I was wondering if you can hang on to the win 7 for longer then the 30 days. I probably won't need to but some people may be upset if it just disappears. :toothy5:

I always keep my boot drive clean. Every month or so I get rid of all the riff raff that has built up and if I want to keep something it gets moved to another drive. My boot drive swelled up to 96gb after the win 10 upgrade. I whittled it back down to 75gb and when win 7 is dumped it will be back down to 50gb or so. I have a 500gb SSD drive so not really problem, but I like to keep it lean.

I am leaning to installing an aero them of some sort, just have to figure out what i want. I hate that for win 8, 8.1 and 1o it looks like MS dug in the win 3.0 box for the icons and color screen borders. It looks unfinished to me. I have plenty of computer power to run some nice looks.

Last edited:

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Yep been using classic shell in my win 8.1 rigs. Just installed on 10. On the top of the start menu there is a bar to start the win 10 menu too. Pretty slick having both of them at your fingertips.
I like having both too.
I have the Windows Key programmed to open the new Win 10 Start Menu for quick access to tiled apps.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Yeah I already did that. I was wondering if you can hang on to the win 7 for longer then the 30 days. I probably won't need to but some people may be upset if it just disappears. :toothy5:
I imagine there is a registry key with a timer value that can be edited.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
I imagine there is a registry key with a timer value that can be edited.
Probably. Not worried about it myself. If it works for 30 days there is no going back. If I wanted to go back to win 7 I have a fresh install clone drive in my spare drives. I keep a cloned drive of all my computers to facilitate quick recovery should the os drive suddenly stop working.

orange

Tagline
Well buy from a reputable dealer if you are worried about it being genuine. Windows 7 Home Premium or home is often sold in 3 packs called Family packs which sell for less then if you purchase three single versions.
I can just run out on my bike and do that (when I can pedal a century)...One shop here, have no idea where else.

Since I had no idea before, and I didn't even expect to be where I'm at now, I didn't go out looking. Now, It's REALLY Late.

I found some Chinese dude on You Tube telling me how to hack the UAC, but I would think that's gonna be F%(#ed.

orange

Tagline
I'll get an email out to you, I saw some things that might be more legit but I still don't know for sure yet.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
I can just run out on my bike and do that (when I can pedal a century)...One shop here, have no idea where else.

Since I had no idea before, and I didn't even expect to be where I'm at now, I didn't go out looking. Now, It's REALLY Late.

I found some Chinese dude on You Tube telling me how to hack the UAC, but I would think that's gonna be F%(#ed.
I was talking about buying from Newegg or Amazon, although no guarantees from Amazon unless they are actually selling the item.

I wouldn't worry about it just yet as so far you still have one year to upgrade to 10 for free. I wonder if 10 will figure out your microns have the same coa number.

The family packs are like this one. If you keep an eye open sellers do sell them for less.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-W...FAMILY-PACK-/261997957340?hash=item3d004b90dc

Last edited:

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
See, all this shit you guys are having is why I have waited. I am not computer savvy and can't do all that shit like finding special drivers and whatever. This computer is about 6 months old, would that mean anything good if I did try this install

Intel Pentium G3220 3.00GHz
Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB (I think we have a 80 GB hard drive)
64-bit, x64 based processor
No pen or touch input for this display
Realtech High Definition Audio card

orange

Tagline
Sounds like my Hewlett Packard, alright and I'm there.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
See, all this shit you guys are having is why I have waited. I am not computer savvy and can't do all that shit like finding special drivers and whatever.
You're gonna base your impression/opinion/decision on what you've read here?

L M A :laughing8:

"all this sh!t..." ?

Northwinds

Tagline
You're gonna base your impression/opinion/decision on what you've read here?

L M A :laughing8:

"all this sh!t..." ?
Not just here Blazeman, every board I belong to there is people having problems, not all mind you. I just don't want to be one of them. I need this computer and can't have it down chasing fixes. Caution is not a bad thing eh?

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Not just here Blazeman, every board I belong to there is people having problems, not all mind you. I just don't want to be one of them. I need this computer and can't have it down chasing fixes. Caution is not a bad thing eh?
I understand the hesitation, the precaution to avoid down-time,
but trust me - this update roll-out is going smoother than most other Windows transitions/service pack roll-outs in modern history.
Don't get wrapped around the axel of complaints on the interwebs. Sure, you can find
bawwwing chuckleheads complaining about most everything these days. But you can prep
for the install and make is damn easy to jump back to square one if you don't like and/or sh!t ain't working right.

Give it a few months, and watch how things progress. Then go for it.
There will be big updates in the coming months that will only improve
the installation process.

I'd even help you go through the process over the phone if you'd want.

Northwinds

Tagline
Ok, we have a year to decide so when bugs are fixed, it would be cool to walk through an install over the phone. Thanks Brother!

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Any time North.

Hey man, I live and breath this stuff.
It's the "other" hobby and a livelihood.

Ok, we have a year to decide so when bugs are fixed, it would be cool to walk through an install over the phone. Thanks Brother!

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation

Wait a few months till the early adoptor work out the bugs. Smart idea. I only know about pc/computers becasue I have been working on them for nearly 35 years. if you tinkered with them that long you wouldn't be afraid to upgrade them too. Once the major service update comes out shortly the upgrade will get much much easier. In Beta testing there is no way MS is going to fix al lthe bugs becasue they will not encounter nearly as many platfomr and install configurations.

Anyway don't fear soon enough you will be working on the latest os platfrom. The ones I fear are the Win XP and Win 7 die hards who want to stick their heads in the sand and never move on.

BMWR75

Journeyman
Tagline
---
I've upgraded a Windows 8.1 and 7 PC. So far the only problem is using Apple iCloud in Outlook got broken in the 8.1 PC. Have not tried to fix that yet, but otherwise I'm liking 10 just fine.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Anyway don't fear soon enough you will be working on the latest os platfrom. The ones I fear are the Win XP and Win 7 die hards who want to stick their heads in the sand and never move on.
Yeah, the sand breathing chuckleheads. There's a ton of them. :laughing8:

In defense of MS though, they've been using what's called the "Insider Program" this time around.
5 million guinea pigs have been feeding back into the development process since last year. That's WAY
different than anything they've done before and truly helped things get sorted out before the official release.
So in essence, they've seen a lot of different platforms tested that would have otherwise gone unnoticed.
These same insiders have also help direct the wishlist of features and improvements in the design.

I have systems as old as 2007 that have been upgraded without a hitch.
That's some old and seemingly tired sh ! t rejuvenated by Win 10.