Rocking the free upgrade to Windows 10

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Some times MS is too smart or not smart enough? Its got to make you wonder. When you install or upgrade to win 10 in the pre-install environment when they are checking your hardware, they should figure out if you have a phone tablet. laptop or desktop and how much computering power you have. If you are installing on a desktop or laptop without a touch screen then skip the metro crap and put in a classic menu system and give you some nice themes.

If on the other hand they detect a phone or tablet or touch screen them give you the metro interface and less graphics/themes.

Did they think that everyone is going to use a touch screen even on a desktop? My monitor is four feet away my arms are not that long.

BlazeES

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Your install defaulted to Tablet Mode ?

Some times MS is too smart or not smart enough? Its got to make you wonder. When you install or upgrade to win 10 in the pre-install environment when they are checking your hardware, they should figure out if you have a phone tablet. laptop or desktop and how much computering power you have. If you are installing on a desktop or laptop without a touch screen then skip the metro crap and put in a classic menu system and give you some nice themes.

If on the other hand they detect a phone or tablet or touch screen them give you the metro interface and less graphics/themes.

Did they think that everyone is going to use a touch screen even on a desktop? My monitor is four feet away my arms are not that long.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I believe that was a gripe about 10 being an all in one OS supposedly.

Tablets are 25 cents for back to school, I seem to recall.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
I believe that was a gripe about 10 being an all in one OS supposedly.

Tablets are 25 cents for back to school, I seem to recall.
Bingo! If they wanted an all in one OS then it should recognize your equipment and install visuals suited for your desktop environment (ie Mouse and keyboard & Extended menu graphics) like win 7. If it detects a phone or tablet with a touch screen then certainly give you those low graphic desktops and ugly square menu suitable for finger swiping.

Win 8.1 and 10 menu and desktop graphics look like they found them in a win 3.1 cabinet.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
I have noticed just lately (and only on Yahoo news) that I get a script action error box that pops up offering options to continue or dismiss all. This is with Windows 8.1. How can I stop this from happening? What could the issue be?

EDIT: It just happened again and I copied the text from the box

SecurityError: Error #2060: Security sandbox violation: ExternalInterface caller http://cdn.vsrv.tlvmedia.com/player/vpw_ima8.swf?v=914356 cannot access http://l.yimg.com/rq/darla/2-8-9/html/r-sf.html.
at flash.external::ExternalInterface$/_initJS()
at flash.external::ExternalInterface$/addCallback()
at com.tlvmedia.player::VPAIDPlayerProxy/registerExternalInterfaceCallbacks()
at com.tlvmedia.player::VPAIDPlayerProxy()

Last edited:

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Continuum. I'd go read about it.

Bingo! If they wanted an all in one OS then it should recognize your equipment and install visuals suited for your desktop environment (ie Mouse and keyboard & Extended menu graphics) like win 7. If it detects a phone or tablet with a touch screen then certainly give you those low graphic desktops and ugly square menu suitable for finger swiping.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
I have noticed just lately (and only on Yahoo news) that I get a script action error box that pops up offering options to continue or dismiss all. This is with Windows 8.1. How can I stop this from happening? What could the issue be?

EDIT: It just happened again and I copied the text from the box

SecurityError: Error #2060: Security sandbox violation: ExternalInterface caller http://cdn.vsrv.tlvmedia.com/player/vpw_ima8.swf?v=914356 cannot access http://l.yimg.com/rq/darla/2-8-9/html/r-sf.html.
at flash.external::ExternalInterface$/_initJS()
at flash.external::ExternalInterface$/addCallback()
at com.tlvmedia.player::VPAIDPlayerProxy/registerExternalInterfaceCallbacks()
at com.tlvmedia.player::VPAIDPlayerProxy()

Do you have the latest version of adobe flash player installed?

orange

Tagline
Probably not LOL. What do I have to do?
Is the error present for Yahoo's videos or is it related to an advertisement?

yimg is a Yahoo server address for images, and it sounds like the cdn.tlvmedia thing is possibly malware. If you are getting errors about their fiules not opening this is probably good but you need to deal with the source.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
That wasn't the point ... :laughing8:

I understand the MS one OS fits all and it is taylored to the equipment it is installed on, that wasn't my point. I have hundreds of millions of under utilized cpu cycles and ooodles of unused memory. I want some window dressing not menus, desktop and anything visual that was designed by preschoolers for some under powered phone.

I know the world is gravitating towards mobile devices but no me. There are still shitloads of desktops out there that can handle more intense graphics. Ever since win 7 the user interfaces have been dumbed down, nay that is a response to their marketing, and I be out of the norm, but I want more. Just like games evovled from pac man to where they are today I want my os to reflect some of that.

Maybe they need a small questionnaire when you install the software that figures out your tastes and then tries to accommodate them. :toothy5:

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Your questionnaire was filled out by millions of development Insiders. ;-)

... ever played with Windowblinds or Stardock stuff ?

I understand the MS one OS fits all and it is taylored to the equipment it is installed on, that wasn't my point. I have hundreds of millions of under utilized cpu cycles and ooodles of unused memory. I want some window dressing not menus, desktop and anything visual that was designed by preschoolers for some under powered phone.

I know the world is gravitating towards mobile devices but no me. There are still shitloads of desktops out there that can handle more intense graphics. Ever since win 7 the user interfaces have been dumbed down, nay that is a response to their marketing, and I be out of the norm, but I want more. Just like games evovled from pac man to where they are today I want my os to reflect some of that.

Maybe they need a small questionnaire when you install the software that figures out your tastes and then tries to accommodate them. :toothy5:

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
You run antimalware software or at least clear the temp files once in a while?

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Your questionnaire was filled out by millions of development Insiders. ;-)

... ever played with Windowblinds or Stardock stuff ?
As I said I will dress it up some, But I would think they would build that functionality in the os. Same thing as releasing the software only to have millions download a third party app to create a comfortable familiar menu system. :wink:

orange

Tagline
Got like my second? update notification and had the chance to see how it works when an update fails.

The big update went smoothly, the failed update was for Adobe Flash (but from Microsoft...see any patterns emerging)?

Went back and kept at it, it downloaded okay and now you have yet another testimony as how how much nicer 10 seems to be.

I hope that helped to fix the page loading error that gives you a false 404 "page cannot be found, check to see that your URL "------" is spelled correctly etc. that seems to be associated with the upgrade.

We'll see as I use it today and tomorrow.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
I have ran through all the updates, no problem. I don't recall how many probably 6 or 7 updates?

Might be wise to keep a machine on win 7 or 8 so you get five or eight years of support. I think MS will define the life of your device to perhaps 2 to 4 years after which you may need to upgrade again or pay for updates. I don't think MS has figured it out yet.

orange

Tagline
I don't think they'll have a chance. They'll get digital ulcers.