What cartridge are you using?

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Took a bit to dial the Benz Glider M2 in, VTF 1.8gr, antiskate at 0.4, loaded at MC 10 seems to sound the best. This is a very good sounding cart also, not as open and airy as the Carmen but for critical listening, this is a damn fine cart w/ no harsh highs (when dialed in to the T), solid mid range and solid bass. Very quiet cart!!!

Again playing the 200gr Magical Mystery Tour to keep the review honest

Northwinds

Tagline
Further adding this is a very transparent sounding cart, almost like a Krell amp, analytical/sterile but with a warmness that makes it seem not so analytical/sterile

Northwinds

Tagline
Messed with it a bit more and it's opening up. I changed to MC 100 loading

EDIT: now I have it MC 30 load, seems happy. Very finicky cart to set up and little changes make all the difference. I prefer the Carmen no hands down so far though

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I used two refilled cartridges yesterday but they both quit. I got 21 address labels and one CD insert and then they farted. Please get back to me, Lee.

The old cartridge refill guy called me a minute ago and thinks he can solve that problem with cheaper than new.
rebel elf.jpg

Officially hijacked by Rebel Elf...back to your regularly scheduled phonographs.​

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I'm very curious about any tech item
I have just found a Stanton CS 100 cart in my father's house ,
but the stylus must be replaced .
Is a LPgear stylus a good spare part ?
Or are there any other solutions ?
Thank you in advance
Marco

nobody

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Last couple years I've gone back and forth between a few, Shure V15xMR with JICO has been my main combo and the one that I've had one there the last few months happily. Also went with a Denon DL-110, which I also like but just doesn't track nearly as well with the tables I've used it on and a Stanton 680 with a variety of styli, most recently a compatible Pickering Stereohedron. The Stanton does seem quite compatible with the old Dual turntable, but the Shure/JICO still tracks better. I've consistently been impressed with Shure carts, and now I came across this article praising the $35 Shure SC35C:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/gramophone-dreams-3-shure-sc35c

So, just placed an order and should have this to try out in a couple days. Can't say I expect to like it more than the Shure/JICO combo, but sounds like it might be a nice change of pace cartridge, especially for the many old and less than pristine records I play often. And if it sounds close to as good as the praise in that article, I can't say I may not be tempted to just stick with it at that price and with replaceable styli under 20 bucks.

Anyone else check this one out before? Sounds like that model has been around for a really long time.

Northwinds

Tagline
Right now I am running a Benz M2 mounted on a Denon head shell. Finally got it adjusted right, sounds near as good as the Soundsmith Carmen, maybe a tad brighter

Nick Danger

Thank you in advance
Marco
I have ordered from LP Gear in the past and found their service to be a bit slow but no issues with the actual purchases.

derek92994

Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
Thank you in advance
Marco
Do not ever buy an lpgear generic stylus. They are terrible, they ripped me off and did not respond to my emails.

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
The only e-bay stylus vendor I've dealt with has been Carole's Needles aka Stereo Needles Lady. Got some for Shure M91ED's and a V15 III all of which were fine - and all supposedly made by Jico. I also bought a 78 RPM stylus from her for a Stanton 500 variant plus an elliptical for a 681EE. The 78 stylus was OK but the one for the 681EE was substandard compared to an OEM. It was made in Japan but by whom, she could not say. It's not horrible just not as good. To be fair, I knew that generic Stanton styli were a much bigger crap shoot than Shure's so I took a chance. It was not hugely expensive and I will be using it from time to time.

She communicates well, ships promptly, has reasonable prices and doesn't BS about her products. If she doesn't know the answer, she'll say so.

Northwinds

Tagline
Flip a coin time. Either the Ortofon MC20 Super II or the Denon DL301 will be used today to give the Benz a rest

Northwinds

Tagline
Well just tried the Denon, not really liking it but I have never been a fan of any of their carts. Seems a bit muddy? I know they are noted for flat response but there is a certain lack of clarity and detail. Maybe I am just spoiled by the other carts because this cart definitely has a following. This one has a level 2 retip

Last edited:

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I'm very curious about any tech item
Thank you for the answers , guys .
Now I will study all the solutions .
Ciao
Marco

nobody

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Got the Shure SC35C and have listened to it a bit. The stiff suspension on the heavy tracking cart may need some settling in, but initial impressions are interesting, some pros and cons. ON the negative side, I feel like I'm getting a bit of a hollow/shouty sound in the vocals. I'm kind of hoping this bit fades as the stylus loosens up a bit. Because otherwise there's a lot t like about this cart. It has a great tonality and is dead silent in the groove. It really shines making ragged records sound better. I've got several 60s Jamaican records that are in fairly rough shape, and this cart is making them sound better than they ever have. It's got good dynamics, tracks well at a whopping 5 grams, and does a number on surface noise while still not sounding rolled off up top. Anyway, I like it enough for playing rough records that it's a keeper for that alone. If it loosens up and that bit of distortion fades, I'll be really happy. I may try the lighter tracking stylus eventually, but want to give the stock cart time to settle and see where it goes before I start switching it up.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
2M Bronze

Just scored a Ortofon 2M Bronze. I'll try it on the SL-1200 and the RP6. I know a lot of you are not fans but got a good deal so I'll try it. Whichever it sound the best on gets to keep it and I'll continue my search for another.

Now I just need to figure out where my TT's are.. Lets see, the RP6 is in zona... Hmmmmm