What cartridge are you using?

nadude98

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Speaking of cartridges, I've been playing around with different needles for my Shure V15VxMR. I had a JICO SAS in there until a couple weeks back when I accidentally trashed it in a horrible accident trying to hold too many things with too few hands.

So, I stuck my old N97xe stylus on there and at first it was really nice to hear that old less sparkly Shure sound without the JICO. But, it started to feel a bit bland so I thought I'd play around a bit since I had a SC35C body with its original stylus and an N35X stylus, which I had grabbed cheap with an eye toward using them on my Rek O Kut project. Both fit the V15VxMR mechanically. And, I've been reading people have measured and the SC35C apparently is electrically almost a dead ringer for the V15VxMR as well as the Shure Whitelabel. So, I popped on the 3-5 gram tracking original stylus on there and it didn't sound bad and was definitely not as veiled as the N97xe, but for my old Dual table, higher compliance was necessary. It was mistracking a bit and causing a bit of fuzziness; just not a good match. So, I threw on the N35X, which is the same conical stylus but has a higher compliance, tracking from 1-3 grams. Much better, nice balanced and solid sound. I actually kind of like a decent conical stylus for the low record wear, ease of set up, etc... And this one was impressing me with a good overall tonal balance. Still it didn't track quite as well as the N97xe stylus or the JICO though. Mostly it works out just fine, but my old house and rickety wooden floors mean footfalls can cause the combo to occasionally hop if you step on the wrong board.

Fortunately, I discovered that there is a Shure N44GX also sharing the same stylus and able to fit the same bodies but with still higher compliance, tracking at .75-1.5 grams. Have one on the way, and looking forward to hearing how this one sounds and tracks.
JICO makes some really nice replacements for the Shure's fer sure!

nobody

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Oh yeah, but I just happened to snap mine off and had some other needles that would fit. And then instead of spending like $180 for another JICO, I thought I'd spend less than a third of that to check out a different flavor for a while. Eventually I'll probably stick another JICO on there even if the N44gx does track well. The JICO does a nice job of adding sparkle without being overly bright and it tracks fantastically.

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Got a line on a ortofon 2M black cart/stylus brand new for 5 bones. Anybody seen a better deal? Been seeing them for $600-$799....

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You'll blow your ears out kid
I think they are very similar the stylus is different... what you thinking of the black, does it blow you away or just another cart?

I haven't...... I did not want to get stuck with it if I didn't like it so I went to the Black.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I think they are very similar the stylus is different... what you thinking of the black, does it blow you away or just another cart?
You know, after just having the Kenner Close N Play, it made a huge difference. No more nickel's taped to the tone arm....

No, seriously, it is an awesome cart. I've never owned a high end TT and I was amazed at the sound. I never tried it with a different cart so I don't have much to compare it to. I bought only new albums to play on it so it is really sweet to listen to. The Black is highly regarded but not too crazy expensive.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Around here the nickels are all in circulation, slugs and heavy washers will have to do.

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
The bronze would be about max top of my budget... like you I never had a higher end TT either I been looking at all makes of cartridges but can't make up my mind if I'm going to lay out that kind of money on one I had better get it right the first time as I may not have another shot at one in awhile

You know, after just having the Kenner Close N Play, it made a huge difference. No more nickel's taped to the tone arm....

No, seriously, it is an awesome cart. I've never owned a high end TT and I was amazed at the sound. I never tried it with a different cart so I don't have much to compare it to. I bought only new albums to play on it so it is really sweet to listen to. The Black is highly regarded but not too crazy expensive.

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
I have finally found THE cartridge.........for me, at least. They are an obscure brand that I had never heard of, back in the day anyway. I am running one of these on my Thorens TD-124 with an SME 3009 (non-improved) and nothing I own compares to this cartridge. I do know that the compliance can be an issue depending on your particular tonearm. I'm just saying that you should buy one while they are available, as they are no longer in production. I don't know how this seller ended up with all these cartridges, but all I can say is WOW...

They blow every cartridge I own away..

The model that is still available on the Bay is the Acutex 410. It is the elliptical stylus version of the cartridge. AWESOME....

Just do a search for Acutex 410, and it should bring up the seller in Italy. Usually takes about two weeks to arrive. You can buy either one or two...and I would recommend just going ahead and buying two....or four.... $61.31 for two, or 43.80 for one. Shipping is $13.48... and I think he can ship up to 4 cartridges for that amount of shipping.

I was turned on to this cartridge by a guy I met in Florida who rebuilds vintage turntables. I was looking for a deal on a Stanton 681EEE at the time..(Pickering XV-15) I'd love to hear if anyone else is a fan of the Acutex after a test spin..

Attachments

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I think I have a Pickering XV-15, but it's dead as a doornail.

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I think I have a Pickering XV-15, but it's dead as a doornail.
I bought one of these new in the late 70's it's still going strong has been mounted in every table I have owned till now, new table has an mc cart have replaced the stylus a couple times the xv-15 has been a nice cart over all the years

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
I was just saying that I was looking for a Pickering when he told me about these. I stopped buying or even looking for the BEST cartridge after buying one of these (Acutex). They are THAT good.

Sorry if I was unclear Orange....

derek92994

Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
For my main rig, the Thorens TD 160 Super/SME 3009 Series 2 Improved Tone Arm, I ran the Audio Technica AT440MLa for a fair while, but have recently changed that to the Ortofon OM series with a 20 type stylus (nude elliptical). I believe the Ortofon is a better match for the tone arm and preamp than the AT440MLa. The Cambridge Audio 651p preamp is known to be bright, and having the 440 running through that required an adjustment of loading using parallel resistive loading. Many records still sounded over bright on that combo. I do give the 440 high praise especially for its flawless tracking, and good bass response, but it is time to try something different. A channel imbalance was also evident with this cart, switching back to the Ortofon corrected this. A higher output was also achieved.

Previously when I ran the OM series cart on this rig, the 10 type stylus was used, and struggled with inner groove tracking on some Lps, (it was setup and aligned correctly). The 20 type stylus tracks much better, and I will consider upgrading to a Super OM cart and 30 type stylus in the future.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Not sure if I posted since my granddaughter destroyed my Soundsmith Carmen but now I am using a Ortofon MC20 Super II w/ a level 2 retip. Damn fine cart, almost as good as the way more expensive Carmen and the Benz M2 I was running previously