Update on my phono preamp:

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
I'm not sure how much farther their prices CAN go up.

I have very little from them, because I can get Mitutoyo gages for significantly less, and of equal quality. Here at work, the much cheaper SPI brand is plentiful...

mlucitt

I'm not sure how much farther their prices CAN go up.
I went to the Starrett factory in Athol, MA and took a tour of the place. It is a turn of the century national treasure.
If you want to see the Athol that is in MA, you have to drive 80 miles East out of Boston, but watch out because there are a lot of Athol's there too.
Couldn't resist.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Perry is back. Got a roof yet?

should hear more Monday or Tuesday. They paid for 10 shingles which doesn't sound like much but it shows they acknowledge there is damage. Now my roofer will hit them with "I can't find a match to these faded shingles" so........ we are working it. I've been pulling drywall and insulation from inside the garage and replacing it with fresh stuff. Had a few spots that needed replacing so it is all gonna get done. Did I mention I hate fuckin with insulation??? I do.......

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
should hear more Monday or Tuesday. They paid for 10 shingles which doesn't sound like much but it shows they acknowledge there is damage. Now my roofer will hit them with "I can't find a match to these faded shingles" so........ we are working it. I've been pulling drywall and insulation from inside the garage and replacing it with fresh stuff. Had a few spots that needed replacing so it is all gonna get done. Did I mention I hate fuckin with insulation??? I do.......
especially in humid summertime

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I bet it’s not rock wool. That shit made me welt up when I tore the corner off my house to repair it. I looked like Fat Bastard with twice the profanity.

Make sure you spring for fire code Sheetrock adjacent to the living space. Not a bad idea all around but… money.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Sorry to bring us back on topic, but, Wyn has reviewed the pre production samples and it looks like the less expensive version will be available ASAP- around $200-$300!!! That is a lot of phono pre for the money. You literally can’t DIY that for the same money.

The flagship should be under two grand and still an amazing bargain.

I have a good idea who the vendor will be but I will not speculate because, I may be wrong, but also because I was asked not to broadcast anything until it is officially released.

Bottom line: fir very little money you will soon be able to get a world-class phono preamp.

The cheap one uses a Wal wart, so there will be opportunities to improve that, including a battery pack (what I’d do) because draw is low. The cheaper one’s specs are still world class. And it supports MM and MC with adjustable loading, extra 10dB gain switchable and the same improved elliptic filter of the V3 diy version (I’m a bit jealous of that actually).

mlucitt

Are you looking for something in particular or a certain price range ?
I wish I could say "Price is no object." But these days everything is dear.
I would like something I could pass on to my heirs (long-lived) and something with a decent tonearm. Belt-drive is fine (because - vintage, as opposed to direct drive, I don't care for idler wheels), semi-auto would be a nice feature, but manual is OK too.
I prefer Made in USA, but Made in the UK is acceptable.
Turntables used to be cheap... Any turntable today, with the above credentials, less than $500 would be tolerable. Most of the ones I see on ebay are around $1000, and they need work. Possibly people cashing in on the turntable craze, is flipping a turntable a thing?

krellmk

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Are you satisfied with the life you're living
Sorry to bring us back on topic, but, Wyn has reviewed the pre production samples and it looks like the less expensive version will be available ASAP- around $200-$300!!! That is a lot of phono pre for the money. You literally can’t DIY that for the same money.

The flagship should be under two grand and still an amazing bargain.

I have a good idea who the vendor will be but I will not speculate because, I may be wrong, but also because I was asked not to broadcast anything until it is officially released.

Bottom line: fir very little money you will soon be able to get a world-class phono preamp.

The cheap one uses a Wal wart, so there will be opportunities to improve that, including a battery pack (what I’d do) because draw is low. The cheaper one’s specs are still world class. And it supports MM and MC with adjustable loading, extra 10dB gain switchable and the same improved elliptic filter of the V3 diy version (I’m a bit jealous of that actually).

Jim did you look at this

https://hagerman-audio-labs.myshopify.com/collections/phono-preamps/products/bugle2