Update on my phono preamp:

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
I don't know anything about that board, but the specs are not up to even the "cheap" version slated to be released soon...

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Another update: procrastinators rejoice!

The "cheap" version will be available soon and will retail at $250.00. The higher end one will be $2500.00 but it has a delayed release due to parts shortages. Even the "expensive" one is not quite up to the performance of the latest DIY version with parallel op amps, but you don't have to build it either...

J!m

Tagline
BOT
LATEST UPDATE: The "commercial" Wyn Palmer phono preamplifiers are being made available by SOTA.

SOTA Pyxis and Acrux phono preamplifiers. Prices remain as above as far as I'm aware. I'm heading to their web site now...

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Jim‘s thread has got me into building a couple of these preamps. Got four boards and will see what pieces I have in-house them make an order over the holidays. Jim’s build is a plateau I’ll try to reach . Great build ther Jim. These are same layout but different Color’s if you are building both a mc and mm Pre 64BD9840-29FD-400E-8820-7F9240F0F626.jpeg C95BBAC6-0DC6-402F-B2A3-795DA5AEB8AB.jpeg

Last edited:

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I had bought boards early on and didn't get to them for a year. Meanwhile, the design got updated (like above) with the parallel input op amps, which drives down the noise and distortion even further.

So, my MM board is the older design, and my MC board is the newer dual-op amp design. Both cartridges can be supported on the newer board, with some minor component changes. The MM is less sensitive to this added noise, as the gain is not as high. But why not, if you're building a new one...

Note these DIY versions have performance beyond the "expensive" version from Sota, which is based on these designs, but use a linear power supply, rather than the switching supply and dedicated filter board. The break-off boards above are the filter and adapter boards to pre-mount the SMD's and run them on stand-off pins (how I did it). You can also SM them direct t the main board if you are better than me at setting them...

You need to buy my Parks Puffin! Toslink out into a good DAC and that's as good as it gets. I've had many phono preamp's, and some pretty good tube ones also... which reminds me I have a lightly used PJL phono preamp also. I actually have two of them but I'm going to keep one and sell the other. This is the seller I found on eBay, he also made a tube preamp for me.

https://pjlelectronics.com/

The Puffin is the way to go... don't be afraid of the digital side, because it comes out the other side analog from the DAC. Pretty impressive phono preamp with a ton of adjustability... you can tune any cartridge anywhere anytime lol.

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
I see no benefit of converting to digital then back to analog in my setup. I looking forward to my build. I have reviewed Jim’s build and will add my twist to it. No tubes in a pre for me as well

wynpalmer

New Around These Parts
Hi. I thought that it was probably about time that I contributed to this thread in view of the sterling work that J!m has done.
The SoTA Pyxi roll out has been kind of slow, mostly due to, of all things, mechanical issues, so there's a substantial waiting list.
However, if anyone has any questions about the original DIY projects or the SoTA commercial units, I'd be happy to answer.

wynpalmer

New Around These Parts
I went to the Starrett factory in Athol, MA and took a tour of the place. It is a turn of the century national treasure.
If you want to see the Athol that is in MA, you have to drive 80 miles East out of Boston, but watch out because there are a lot of Athol's there too.
Couldn't resist.
Yeah lots of Masshols in Athol. Lots of old Mills in that section of MA. I lived in that way of the world for 25 years.

wynpalmer

New Around These Parts
Just pulled the trigger on a Wyn Palmer Pyxi from SOTA. My Phonomena decided it didn't want to play anymore so I thought I'd take the opportunity to try this one out. Will update when it gets here and I get it installed.
I'd be very interested in your observations as that was essentially the reason that I got involved in this "development" in the first place.
Hopefully you like what you hear. However, like all designs there are trade offs and imperfections, and understanding what users experience is invaluable for future improvements.

Vintage 700b

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Fabricator
Just pulled the trigger on a Wyn Palmer Pyxi from SOTA. My Phonomena decided it didn't want to play anymore so I thought I'd take the opportunity to try this one out. Will update when it gets here and I get it installed.
Hello Bob,
Hope your days are getting better. I will be very interested in your opinion on the Pyxi.
Delavan is a short drive for me, and they offer tours, I should check them out. SOTA has always been a great company.
Long live vinyl !!!!

Hexis22

Chief Journeyman
Hello Bob,
Hope your days are getting better. I will be very interested in your opinion on the Pyxi.
Delavan is a short drive for me, and they offer tours, I should check them out. SOTA has always been a great company.
Long live vinyl !!!!
Let me know if you plan to visit SOTA, I’d love to take the tour. I used to drive right by there on the way to Blackhawk farms raceway.