Update on my phono preamp:

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
So, the designed has been working with a big OEM to bring it to market (maybe)

Some changes were made, features reconfigured but overall, the same design from the same designer- built to a price point.

Anyway…

“ The "competition" includes a Pass X-25 and a Doshi V3.0 used with MC. They go for c. $10k and if I've got this right, $28k respectively, and the listeners at first thought the Doshi and the ex-DIY design were equivalent, then after some futzing around with cables and line conditioners, that the ex-DIY was best.
I take all of this with a grain of salt. All it means is that there is a general equivalence between the DIY design and the best commercial phono stages out there.
The most interesting thing is that the opamp based design completely lacks the false brightness that is usually assigned to those designs and was considered to be the "smoothest" and most "musical" of the three.
Who would have thought it ...”

It’s a good preamp. Once I hear who will market it, I’ll pass it along. Hopefully it’s less than ten grand…

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Seems they’re worth building…

Some of the parts are difficult to get, so if you want to build it, start collecting parts!

Gibsonian

Chief Journeyman
How does one get these boards and schematics for a diy? I would be interested. One guy does nearly exclusively opamp designs is well regarded and sells em for big bucks (Sutherland)

J!m

Tagline
BOT
There’s a long thread on AK about this.

Wyn was supplying boards, but the prices got too high and he doesn’t any longer. Might be findable on Osh park but I’m not certain of that… schematics etc are in the thread.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
There's another related thread on the development of the circuit, but the relevant links are in the build thread.

A lot of reading but worth it. You'll se me build up mine in there too...

mlucitt

The Micro Seiki MR-411 is nice. Hey, I'm not picky I would not mind having an Empire 598 or a Thorens TD-124 either.
A nice vintage belt-drive semi-automatic turntable is what I need, nothing too fancy. And if it needs work, even better...
Bonus if it is made in the USA.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I kind of like the K-34 H but I don't need a beast. Did Rek-O-Kut ever build a turntable with a anti-skate tonearm?
No, you don't really want the Rek tone arm unless you are a radio station. You want the turntable, preferably with the Papst motor.

And everybody needs a beast...

mlucitt

Time for a story...
When I was a young pup and I wanted a turntable, I went to Pacific Stereo (RIP) and bought the Pioneer PL-112D. It was a low-end, manual, belt-drive, no frills machine for $99. Just for fun, I took it the the Brier Sound - Stereo Clinic (a monthly marketing strategy of the local "audiophile" store).
My little turntable with a Shure V-15 Type IV outperformed (wow & flutter, tracking at 1/2 gram, noise, and speed stability) the competition including B&O, Garrard, Dual, Kenwood, and many others thanks to some careful setup and tinkering.
The technician actually laughed at me and said my cartridge cost five times as much as the deck. My response was, "Doesn't yours?"

I would really like a Made in USA version of the PL-112D. The AR Turntable is close but those vintage turntables all have the 1950's look to me.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Yeah with Reks you usually add your own arm (and plinth). You can mount something like a Jelco st250 or a Rega rb300. Or just get a Technics sl-12xx or similar
Can’t go wrong with the Technic SL1200 series. I have 2 of them, one with AT440 and one with Shure V15xMR Fine tables but I like the heft of the Rek