Update on my phono preamp:

wynpalmer

New Around These Parts
And it makes a difference. My phono input now plays much closer to the line inputs now.
The Pyxi is designed to have a peak output of 4dBv for a 250uv (MC) or 2.5mv (MM) input +12dB, which is a typical recording maximum, and +6dBv for +14dB which, in my experience is the max I've ever had from an LP, resulting in 6dBv out. 6dBv is the usual line input level.

e30m3mon

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
As of yesterday I joined the "Pyxi Club" ! Previously I had tried the Mani2 preamp but found the output of the Mani to be way too low. The Pyxi's 65dB output has made a significant improvement in listening volume, even with the super-low output Ortofon MC10. The overall sound stage, imaging, sound depth and EQ curve ( go ahead and insert your favorite audiophile term here) - let's just call it listening pleasure - are over the top superior, in my opinion. YMMV but like Bob, I am enjoying vinyl again! Wow....just an amazing experience in listening. Glad I had invested in vinyl years ago.

I would welcome advice on setting the switches on the back, as the instructions suggest the R&C loading info can be found in the cartridge documentation. I unfortunately don't have any of that info, nor do I have experience in what to expect with respect to setting which switch(es).

For example, most of my intentions with this preamp will be for use with MC cartridges (Ortofon MC10, Signet MK111Ea, and the SAE 1000E) in my current collection. Do both the resistance and capacitance switches play a role with MC or or are the switches specifically for use with MC or MM types?

I may have to adapt a relay switching input scheme like Glen is working on, to select turntables/cartridges, as buying a second Pyxi will be Pricey!

Attachments

wynpalmer

New Around These Parts
Copy of Pyxi Operating Manaul (rev2).docx (sotaturntables.com)
The caps make no difference for MC- except for the HF resonance, so it's best to have them as low as possible. If I were you I'd probably switch 1 and 2 on and call it a day, or perhaps 2 only. I can't find a set of specs for all of the cartridges you mention.

EdIt: The SAE is apparently MM. I recommend that you leave all of the switches off to start with, then switch 3 and/or 4 to see if there is a preferred cap loading.

Last edited:

e30m3mon

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---

e30m3mon

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
I'm thinking about building a shelving system for the 4 turntables that I seem to have accumulated over the years and recently repaired to be used in the rotation once again. I'm considering to build a cabinet to house the turntables, but then there will be an issue of having to separate the turntables from the Carver C1 preamp and PL rack...possibly as much as 15 feet. The phono preamps (Pyxi and a few MM preamps I collected) will be located close to the turntables but then connecting these preamp outputs to the Carver will be the challenge.

Has anybody else worked through something like this and come up with a switching solution to select any one of the turntable preamp outputs to their main preamp? Would the cable (possibly as long as 15') need to have special characteristics to minimize noise, loss, etc?

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
Longer runs are best served as balanced line. Otherwise, switching at line level v cartridge level is preferred.

Worst situation would be switching cartridge level into one preamp over 15’. That would be a mess!

e30m3mon

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Correct - I would certainly switch at line level / post phono preamp, and then send to the C1. I like the idea of using a balanced line for the long-ish run. Thanks Jim

e30m3mon

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Don't know if there's any official (or even unofficial) break-in period for a Pyxi but this thing keeps sounding better as I listen. Wonderful, can't say enough good about it.
Have to agree, Bob ... the advice I received from the tech talked to when I ordered mine was to keep it powered on all the time as SS components will settle out when warmed up. Guess that makes sense.

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
buying a second Pyxi will be Pricey!
wouldn't it be the same as the first one?
I've read that it is a fine sounding unit and with the limited adjustability priced for people and not those that gotta spend more than their friends on their gear. Nice.

The MC-10 is a demanding amplification VLOMC at 70µV output, well below the standard LOMC of 2-4mV (200-400µV). I've had an MC-20 since new and run into gain issues but have a variable 50-70dB gain phono amp that works just fine with it and my other more usual LOMC cartridges.