Update on my phono preamp:

Bob Boyer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
I'd be very interested in your observations as that was essentially the reason that I got involved in this "development" in the first place.
Hopefully you like what you hear. However, like all designs there are trade offs and imperfections, and understanding what users experience is invaluable for future improvements.
Thanks Wyn. Yours and Jim's involvement is what tipped the scales; honestly, I was also looking at a couple of Ron Sutherland's lower priced offerings and just decided that given that Jim doesn't waste time on stuff that's marginal, this product should be great. The box isn't out on display anyway so I'd rather put all the money into the internals. My loading options won't be quite what they were on the Phonomena but I'm hoping the Denon 304 is reasonably flexible in that regard. The settings I'm using right now are 1k input loading and 60 db gain; the cartridge specs are .18mV output voltage and over 100 ohms load impedance. Should work fine.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
So, under the heading of "living my life", I need some help interpreting the values in my operation manual for the SOTO Pyxi. (Wyn - please consider this operational note 1 from me.)

I get the 47k setting for "RES" (I assume that stands for "resistance" and it's the standard 47k ohms resistance for MM cartridges) but can't find any reference online for "R", which is the suffix for what I assume to be the lower resistance values of 470R, 220R, and 150R. For the "CAP" Loading settings, I'm assuming CAP refers to capacitance, but don't understand the "P" suffix on the four settings of 47P, 147P, 267P, and 367P.

I'm trying to get as close a match as possible to the DL-304 Denon, which, as I mentioned above, specifies values of .18 mV output voltage, 40 ohms electrical impedance, and "Over 100 ohms" of load impedance in its manual. Many thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light on this for me.

Edit: I should have said that the Pyxi showed up today - one day early - and I'm dying to try it out. :)

IMG_3286.jpg

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
Took my best shot. Switches 1, 2, and 3 turned on. Listening to Suzie Q from the Acoustic Sounds remaster of Creedence Clearwater Revival's eponymous album, which I can compare to a 24/192 file recorded from the Denon cartridge and Phonomena II preamp some years ago. I know that's not exactly the most scientific way to run a comparison but first impressions are very favorable to amazed. The Pyxi is easily the equal of the Phonomena II. Spatial rendering of the mix is laid out better; tonally, bass is a bit stronger with a bit more "slam", and John Fogarty's voice just a bit more front and center. Overall maybe bit more lush? Verifying the spatial rendering with a copy of Poco's Crazy Eyes album and yes, the banjo placement to the far right in the mix is exactly where it should be and just a bit more forward. Wonderful rendition, better than the Phonomena II, which I'm again "listening" to via my computer files.

While all of this is important, the Pyxi comes into its own on up-close, personal recordings. Just sat back and listened all the way through Waylon Jenning's last recording, Goin' Down Rockin', Nothing but Waylon and an old Martin acoustic in Robby Turner's studio in Hermitage, TN. and all I'm doing is listening. Can't say any more than that.

This is an excellent preamp at triple the price, maybe more. Thanks for hooking me up with it, guys.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
Bottom line: it doesn’t suck.

You want intimate recording? See if you can get Norah Jones come away with me. That’s scary good for all this audiophile foo foo.
It goes beyond not sucking, Jim. It's good. Real good. Unless you're playing with five-figure or more turntable setups, I don't see why you'd want anything more and maybe not then.

Update: talked with the SOTA folks yesterday and after the storm passed this morning, I've been playing with the switch settings. Unloaded the cartridge a bit - only have 470 ohms on it now and it's singing. Triangles and cymbals on Santana's Singing Winds, Crying Beasts are really outstanding and bass didn't suffer any. The opening bass note and drum sequence on Crazy Eyes is right there and strings - in this case the banjo - are rendered perfectly with the proper amount of bite on the pluck and they tail off perfectly.

I'm playing records again.

Edit to add a final thought: I'm not sure I'm hearing any more than before, but I'm hearing it better, if that makes any sense. Very impressed.

Last edited:

wynpalmer

New Around These Parts
So, under the heading of "living my life", I need some help interpreting the values in my operation manual for the SOTO Pyxi. (Wyn - please consider this operational note 1 from me.)

I get the 47k setting for "RES" (I assume that stands for "resistance" and it's the standard 47k ohms resistance for MM cartridges) but can't find any reference online for "R", which is the suffix for what I assume to be the lower resistance values of 470R, 220R, and 150R. For the "CAP" Loading settings, I'm assuming CAP refers to capacitance, but don't understand the "P" suffix on the four settings of 47P, 147P, 267P, and 367P.

I'm trying to get as close a match as possible to the DL-304 Denon, which, as I mentioned above, specifies values of .18 mV output voltage, 40 ohms electrical impedance, and "Over 100 ohms" of load impedance in its manual. Many thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light on this for me.

Edit: I should have said that the Pyxi showed up today - one day early - and I'm dying to try it out. :)

View attachment 75079
The cap is in pF. Realy only important for MM cartridges. The RES is ohms.

e30m3mon

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Novice question here ... I have an old Ortofon MC10 cartridge going into a Mani-2 with I&O gain set to "H" for 60db gain. The C1's volume control needs to be at about 3 O'clock for my listening preference - and not much gain left after that. Does the Pyxi give higher output than 60db?

wynpalmer

New Around These Parts
Novice question here ... I have an old Ortofon MC10 cartridge going into a Mani-2 with I&O gain set to "H" for 60db gain. The C1's volume control needs to be at about 3 O'clock for my listening preference - and not much gain left after that. Does the Pyxi give higher output than 60db?
The Pyxi is c. 65dB.

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
I guess we better get started on this build Al. lets Get! some parts ordered

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
I’m getting started this week on gathering parts

im using a bit bigger foot print to build a dual preampsetup for MM cartridge and the ability to add the complimentary MC board to each.

Also adding headphone amp inside so using an old PL face plate and will form a chassis in steel.

here is the preliminary design

FCF29C21-F687-4A73-A28C-B8E4C35ACFA2.jpeg