Rocking the free upgrade to Windows 10

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I thought I might have a solution to use my 7800 GTX with Windows 10 but it turned out to be a program that wanted to managed my drivers, they wanted $9.99 for an offer if you tried to uninstall from the program (which doesn't work that way) and I had to uninstall from Control Panel in the end. Lesson learned to read better.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
I noticed something nice yesterday, which may have something to do with a recent update.

When you click on the Windows icon bring up the Start Menu or shut down the process has been changed to simply the Power icon or the menu icon (three lines). If you click on the lines the Start Menu appears and if you click on the Power icon the menu for shutdown options comes up.

A nice, clean change.
That's the much touted "return to the start menu of old" behavior many people wanted.
And yes, it is very clean.

orange

Tagline
Finally got Edge and Cortana to work. Now I can forget about them.
Of absolutely little if not any use or concern to me, I forgot about them from the start. Concentrate on your regular desktop search and using your online engines to better effect. Siri is no big deal to me either, although it finally responded and helped a guy pinned under his car to call 911. After 20 years the world needs to learn how to use their computers as more than a gadget.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
I don't use Cortana, Edge or Internet explorer for anything other than Win updates. My prefered browser is Firefox, followed by Chrome and Opera.

I just want them to work so I could try them once and once was enough.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
The insider feedback & improvement process is still going strong even after the official release of 10.
It will insure that a whole host of improvements and added features will be injected into the update stream
during the 1-year "free upgrade" period.

One improvement that is sure to excite those with older rigs with limited hardware resources
is a better memory manager. I'm personally excited to see what this brings as the older machines
I've updated are already twice as fast as they had been with Win 7.

http://www.techspot.com/news/61807-microsoft-releases-first-windows-10-insider-preview-build.html

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Here's an important tool for taking control of your Win 10 machine and most of the 'back door' junk that comes with the new platform.
It's called ShutUp10 from a company called O & O. I've been using some of their other products for years.
They are a reputable outfit. This utility is free.

The cool thing about this program is that it doesn't "install".
Just download it, extract it to a folder and run it stand-alone.
Go down the list of options and follow the directions to enable/disable what you want.
This is a settings modifier.
It gives you explanations as to what does what and if you need more info before deciding, Google it.

http://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=NL2262-weblink&utm_campaign=oonewsletter2262

Last edited:

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Another utility for assisting in the decision and control process is ...

Should I Remove It ?

Use this one to review, evaluate and ultimately remove installations.I've been recommending this program for a few years.
It's awesome and it is also free.

http://www.shouldiremoveit.com/

Last edited:

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
You can use MS powershell to remove just about any win install app except for Cortana and Edge.

I may need to do a clean install one of these days as some of the win 10 apps do not work properly such as photo and the app store. They were working at one time but not anymore. Luckily i still have photo viewer from win 7 and I like that much better then the new phote app. I don't ever see using the win app store though. If I open one of them it opens and then closes very quickly. I have tried a bunch of fixes but I think a clean install would probably be the best in the long run as my win 7 install was getting long in the tooth before I upgraded it.

I use Iobit uninstaller myself and have been using it for years. It works well for me.

orange

Tagline
I'm just over 1/2 way through the 10 download to the USB memory stick you sent me, Web.

I hope the problems you have don't surface on mine...did you use the same stick as I have?

orange

Tagline
Yes, I did find the audio files you left on it and transferred them.

orange

Tagline
I tried to save the ISO to DVD but sonbitch! Not enough space?

I'll try an put it on the Stick too, but I'm not sure I can put two versions on it without some folder making.

BlazeES

Tagline
---

I'll try an put it on the Stick too, but I'm not sure I can put two versions on it without some folder making.
DVD's are 4.7 GB so either of the two ISO's should fit just fine.

Win X iso's.jpg

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation

Save the iso file to your desktop then burn the iso t oa disc with burning software that can extract the disc image and make the disc bootable. Make a separate disc for the 64 bit and 32 bit variety.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Windows 7 & 10 will let you burn an ISO file to optical disk without the need for any third-party software.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
The Media Creator even waited for me to move all the 10 Pro files into a folder I named WIN 10 PRO and dadgummit moving is copying so I had to delete those files to for space.