Resurrected a Customized WOPL 400

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Aw jeez Scott, I've got a 700 board in front of me here.

W want to check offset, one test lead on "out" and one on ground , whacha got, and what on rail voltage?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Yep, need to get those minus pico fuses changed out. What do you have for rail voltage?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Nevermind, Rev C..... Check the 1 ohm resistors towards the bottom of the backplane , a couple of them act as small fuses also...

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
This is exactly why I will never attempt one of these builds, I just don't have the patience. The amp would be flying across the yard by now :laughing6:

scottonnob

Journeyman
Tagline
---
I guess that's my point. Unless I find where the short occurred, it's just going to do the same thing after I replace the parts. Obviously, the whole unit needs to come apart in order to replace pieces on the backplane boards. So how do I diagnose the problem? Any ideas?

scottonnob

Journeyman
Tagline
---
This is exactly why I will never attempt one of these builds, I just don't have the patience. The amp would be flying across the yard by now :laughing6:
Well, this is just a fun project. I already have a Phase Linear system in use. This amplifier is for my own entertainment. I love projects, and I'm retired. So even when I start to get pissed, I just remind myself that I'm extremely lucky to have the time and resources to even attempt this build. I don't have any kids, no living relatives, house is paid for, girlfriend is fantastic. If I can get this one going, I have a 700 Series II I recently acquired for $0.00 I'm going to rebuild as well. The 700 is already performing like a champ, so there's no hurry. Also, I have a 3300 pre I want to rebuild. I'm just waiting for parts from Dennis. I've been waiting a long time on the parts, but that's okay. I think Dennis' life is a little nuts now. So I don't mind waiting a bit longer. He's come through a bunch of other times. It'll work out.