pioneer sx1080 help...

gene french

Veteran and General Yakker
guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
i have disassembled mon 1 and mon 2 switches and both are cleaned with eraser....both pin out perfectly...
i reinstalled mon 2 and got a buzz up to the common pad on 4...as stated above...
i reinstalled mon 1 and in the up position (default) i lose pin 23 and beyond...lost 4 and beyond...
however when switched down....it all comes back and even to the pads of missing duplicate switch...
i can distinctly hear both channels humming...when touching appropriate pads...

Tagline
---
ok, mon 1 in default position loses pin 23+.
mon in not default position works.

that says a problem before that contact.

check the resistance from pin 23 to ground, both the pin 2 ground on the corner, as well as the b & e grounds. see diagram in post #107.

we are checking that grid of cross talk ground traces around the switch connections. maybe when soldered there's a whisker astray, to ground.

when mon 1 switched down it's using those extra cables. pull them temporarily and it should go silent.
you did notice the update I was off by 1 pad level on the mon 1 switch. I counted the pads that are used for two hidden jumpers.
you will see the doubled ovals overlapping.

gene french

Tagline
this is what happened....
i cleaned physically all 3 switches, tape 1 tape 2 duplicate...
reinstalled them...had trouble with the duplicate switch with the broken pin...my connections kept breaking...
must have removed and replaced it 3 or 4 times....
finally i cut a piece of wire...soldered to the leg stub...enlarged the hole in the board just a bit...for the wire to pass...
reinstalled the switch...ran the wire direct to the destination pad...powered it up...
and noticed a different sound....and it hummed everywhere i touched....
i switched from aux to fm...and had right channel....
i cant believe....
it had to be that broken leg on the switch....how did that leg break...i have never removed it...
wow...

gene french

Tagline
i am so grateful to mr. mark the fixit guy and the rest of you guys that contributed!!!
how did this stop am radio from making noise???
unbelievable....so happy no one gave up on me..
my troubles started in late october...i recapped in november...was downhill after that...until now...
this is a great forum...with classy and intellegent members...thanks f
i need to disassemble 2 more switches...and clean...

Attachments

Tagline
---
the AM has a muting transistor on the function selector / equalizer assembly. Q5 a 2sc945 with an electrolytic cap c22 10uf/16v.
looks like to soften the switching on of AM sound.
dead cap possible & recap caught it? it needed good AM selector contacts to energize it. so - multiple strikes against it.

the switch? factory bent leads to hold the switches in before soldering. even careful disassembly can break them. somebody else got caught, put it back in, maybe hoped that it was tall enough to catch solder and make a connection...

that's how i learned about extending the switch leads with 30 gauge wire securely affixed to the pin so heat of soldering doesn't disconnect them.
if i could have spot welded it, i would have.

gene french

Tagline
you guys are fantastic!!!!
finished cleaning the rest of the switches...had to add another wire to another....but its all good...
rebundled the wires ... slowly reassembled checking after every screw!!!
lol...listening to john lee hooker!!!

Attachments

gene french

Tagline
Shoot, I almost hope something else tears up (not really) so I can watch another thread like this one. Enjoyed it and I am happy you got er fixed!
i appreciate your interest and participation...
this is what forums are all about...
bet you wont find this comradery in other forums...