New to me PL400

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
I certainly meant no offense. So what is max power on these? I notice that is not noted on the back unless the flash glare hides it

Tagline
---
Just so you guys know, I take no offense. I love these speakers and am happy to have them. The power rating is 150w, and will probably never put that much power to them without Brian Johnson'ing myself. They are really efficient. The refoam went horrible and glad I'm had a backup driver (see post) . It don't bother me that these speaks have no respect because of the name. You guy don't know what you're missing.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
They certainly impressive lookin....never heard a pair myself, but then again I haven't heard a lot of speakers...

Tagline
---
They certainly impressive lookin....never heard a pair myself, but then again I haven't heard a lot of speakers...
They look impressive for a 16 yr old shopping for speakers in the early 80's at JC Penny. That's why they never sold and I have One of the few sets left. These are keepers.

Northwinds

Tagline
I remember CTS used to make square magnet speakers, I wonder if these are CTS which would make sense as they used to make speakers for a few brands but mainly instrument amplifiers. I would not mind hearing a pair of these

Tagline
---
From the little bit I've gathered, the drivers were made by United speaker which produced drivers for Mcintosh. Not my usual kind of music, but if you want to test your speakers, crank this up and stand back! So far my 8228's have refrained themselves from shitting their pants. My low to high tester song. Can't wait to take the next step with this amp. I think the 901's are really going to make me happy.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Uee_mcxvrw

Northwinds

Tagline
Dude, no disrespect but that is the worst video I have ever seen!!! Even that original MTV Fish Heads video was better LMAO!!! Ewwwww... gotta go wash my eyes and ears ROTFLMAO!!!!!

Try some Shpongle, that will rattle your cage :toothy5:

Tagline
---
Dude, no disrespect but that is the worst video I have ever seen!!! Even that original MTV Fish Heads video was better LMAO!!! Ewwwww... gotta go wash my eyes and ears ROTFLMAO!!!!!

Try some Shpongle, that will rattle your cage :toothy5:
Haha. Yup, video sucks, song sucks; but the tone generator that comes out of that video....Do you feel like you've been punched in the nuts by a Hiphop midget?

Tagline
---
Ok. I'm having an issue here. I got the C-1 today and...this thing has no balls now. I feel like I've been punched in the nuts by a hiphop midget. ( Threw that in there for you Northwinds). I have to turn the volume to 3 o'clock to get any kick out of it. Really sweet and clear sounding, but not used to having to turn the volume past noon on my shitty kenwood pre. Does the carver just not have the output? How am I going to lip sync my excuse when the wife notices the new piece of gear that won't even drown out her questions?

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Ok. I'm having an issue here. I got the C-1 today and...this thing has no balls now. I feel like I've been punched in the nuts by a hiphop midget. ( Threw that in there for you Northwinds). I have to turn the volume to 3 o'clock to get any kick out of it. Really sweet and clear sounding, but not used to having to turn the volume past noon on my shitty kenwood pre. Does the carver just not have the output? How am I going to lip sync my excuse when the wife notices the new piece of gear that won't even drown out her questions?
You sure you do not have a -20dB attenuator switch flipped somewhere on that pre?

Steve K

Journeyman
Tagline
---
If you look in the service manual for the C1 all the way at the end there is a procedure for changing the attenuation by changing a resistor. Take a look and see if that is correct.

Tagline
---
If you look in the service manual for the C1 all the way at the end there is a procedure for changing the attenuation by changing a resistor. Take a look and see if that is correct.
I looked at the SM and found a couple of threads about exactly what you are referring to. I hooked up preout 2... Not a damn difference. I popped the hood and everything seems to be in order. No signs of any mods whatsoever. Tried different inputs and sources. Same all across the board. I pegged the volume on this thing and it sounded clear and loud, but never had to do that before. The meters on the 400 barely hit -7. I'll recap and try again. As far as the PL, I got the supply caps and rectifier, but not sure where the snubber caps get installed.