New to me PL400

Tagline
---
Spring for a new WO light board. On the 400 light board there are selectable settings for sensitivity. One for the factory response and then one for a more rapid response.
Damn the hypnosis here. I couldn't control myself and requested an invoice for the light board in clear Blue from Joe. I did take a closer look at the meters without opening her up again and found that the one in question is binding up. It looks like the meter scale is bowed outward in the middle like it wasn't installed properly. I'll get a better look when I install the new light board in a few days. On another note, I can't believe how loud and clear the 901's are and this amp had plenty of power left even with the needles pegged out. Does this thing really have this kind of headroom?

Tagline
---
Any support on the portion closest to the pcb?
Nope. When the new board shows up I think I'm going to try to reuse it though and take advantage of the wire tie strain relief holes. I was wondering if anyone can tell me how far the PL handles stand off from the amp face to the bottom side of the handle. I have some 3/8 stainless at work and think I'll bend up a couple. Eventually I'll make a new .09 stainless face on our laser. That'll probably be the finishing touch to this beast after I can WOPL it. Thank you guys for not getting bored with this thread yet and kicking me off the porch.

Tagline
---
Why would we do that?? Everybody brings something different to the table...
I know you guys here have probably seen this whole process a hundred times and is my may of saying thanks for all the help. I'm just glad this site exists so these beasts can continue to crack plaster and piss off neighbors for generations to come. Hopefully this thread might help someone as clueless as me in their quest to resurrect the beast.

Tagline
---
Thanks again. The measurements on the handle would be much appreciated. Doesn't even have to be exact. Just ballpark. I found some pics online of them and the ferrules that sit under the handle and onto the face. I can make them pretty easy on my cnc lathe at work.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
From the faceplate to the bottom edge of the handle on Aldo's Ser II 400 here it is exactly 1"....

Tagline
---
From the faceplate to the bottom edge of the handle on Aldo's Ser II 400 here it is exactly 1"....
Perfect! I can wing it from there. Of course I know the spacing, and the part underneath I can build close enough you might not notice from pics. I know it's not common on ser I, but I love the look and it would match my Carver preamp.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Perry was trying to source some ferrules, you should PM him. After the setup , a few additional shouldn't be that bad....

Tagline
---
Perry was trying to source some ferrules, you should PM him. After the setup , a few additional shouldn't be that bad....
I do this kind of work every day and save my programs on a thumb drive. Once I set it up a few extra are a few minutes. I do this stuff on lunch or after work. Not trying to be the ignorant new guy , but which member is Perry?

Tagline
---
I should get the light kit in the mail tomorrow and hope to have time to pull the meters apart and fix the lazy eye in the process. I ordered AGC size fuse holders and 12v fans. I am really enjoying this project and hate to keep pulling it out of service. I Pm'd Perry about the handle ferrules and hope to get some off the clock machine time soon at work. Has anyone tried to powdercoat the meter bezels? Im wondering if I clean them down, if they can take the heat without warping?

Tagline
---
contact TMZ2 on this board. I think he said he powder coated bezels an aluminum color.
Thank you. I have access to powdercoat at work also. They look to be cast aluminum and I have no experience in that department. I'd hate to ruin them since I've gone this far without roasting anything as of yet. I think for winging it as I go, I've done pretty good so far. At least my ears agree....

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
We have plenty of spares of those, don't be afraid to do a little experimenting....I would like a pair in silver too....

Tagline
---
We have plenty of spares of those, don't be afraid to do a little experimenting....I would like a pair in silver too....
I guess when I pull them out, I will have them roasted in black chrome and see how it turns out. You guys are just egging me on now.:wink: Oh, and if it works, I will gladly get some done for you.