New to me PL400

Tagline
---
WOW. You guys do this for fun? :tongue4: What a pain in the shitter that was. I had to break out the dremel to get the coating off the solid trans wires and rectifier tabs to get them to take solder. So far, this has been the hardest part of this refurb. Hooked her up to the DBT for 20 minutes and no fire, smoke, lava pouring out off the desk onto my brand new work boots. I'm not used to this electronics game. I turn metal into chips; but this has been a satisfying challenge. Bias and DC are good plugged straight in. Gonna go see if this thing turns my speakers into charcoal and dust. Wish me luck......

Tagline
---
Holy Hell in a Half Stack! It's a good thing it's not Sunday yet, or I might have burst into flames. I decided to play something period correct and Children of the Grave just sucker punched me into Oblivion. Thank you for the help so far... I've put this thing in the red and there's no turning back.

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Holy Hell in a Half Stack! It's a good thing it's not Sunday yet, or I might have burst into flames. I decided to play something period correct and Children of the Grave just sucker punched me into Oblivion. Thank you for the help so far... I've put this thing in the red and there's no turning back.
:thumbleft::thumbleft::thumbleft::thumbleft::occasion5: You're screwed for life now bro!! Don't give yourself a :blackeye: when your knee jerks up during special musical moments!!

Tagline
---
Well, I really put the MCS to the test and they held their own. They are rated @ 150w and I redlined the amp without blowing anything or bottoming out the woofers. Nothing but super clean and punchy power. Time to hook em back up to the Onkyo since I only have 1 complete set of drivers and parts are impossible to find. I am impressed. I also noticed that after the cap change, the meter lights no longer dimmed to the beat. I'm guessing the extra capacitance gave me more headroom. The c-1 low volume is still a mystery though. It seems to be working fine now and sounds great. I'm sure a recap is in order. My 901's are staring me down right now, begging to be put to the test. I have a good area in the garage that works good for 901's with their finicky placement. When the weather warms a bit, that's where they will reside for the summer since I spend all my free time in the garage and back yard with the kids. I can't wait to WO this thing, but will have to wait until funds allow. What is the difference between quasi and full comp?

Tagline
---
It's been a little bit since I've had any updates to post. I have the 400 beating on my 901's in the garage. This amp definitely cranks out the volume with authority. Well, last night ( and yes there was alcohol involved) I got just a little carried away with the volume knob. At one point I had the meters pegged. When I turned it back down I realized that I killed the right side meter. It's now stuck at the -3 mark. I'm assuming that it is probably toasted and not repairable. Is there even a slight chance of finding a replacement, and is it not advisable to peg these things for the possibility of ruining them? The amp itself seemed like it was in no danger of running out of gas yet. I cant wait to get the funds to WOPL this thing.

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I would check for binding on the front plate and then internally in the meter, dead flies, spiders, pill bugs, etc.....

Tagline
---
I went back to the garage and the needle was sitting in the far left position again. Powered it up and it is working somewhat. Thats the one that was lazy to begin with and it seems a bit slower now than it was before. I will check for interference inside. Is there something I can do to a circuit to speed this one up to match the other one? Someone has messed with the light board and added a plug to it in the past.

Last edited:

fitz43

Veteran and General Yakker
I went back to the garage and the needle was sitting in the far left position again. Powered it up and it is working somewhat. Thats the one that was lazy to begin with and it seems a bit slower now than it was before. I will check for interference inside. Is there something I can do to a circuit to speed this one up to match the other one? Someone has messed with the light board and added a plug to it in the past.
What kind of plug? Take a picture when you open it up.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Spring for a new WO light board. On the 400 light board there are selectable settings for sensitivity. One for the factory response and then one for a more rapid response.