New to me PL400

Tagline
---
Since I'm going to replace the driver board eventually with the WO I'm trying to get everything else in order first and enjoy this in the process.. Are the supply caps next on my list? Should I replace the BR at the same time?

Tagline
---
Sorry about all my quick questions. I'm really trying to divide my time and most of it going towards learning my new machine at work right now. The hands on "professional" training has taught me how to produce parts properly like a snail and time for naps in between. I produce good parts at maximum speed. Sucks training yourself, but benefits in the long run.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Sorry about all my quick questions. I'm really trying to divide my time and most of it going towards learning my new machine at work right now. The hands on "professional" training has taught me how to produce parts properly like a snail and time for naps in between. I produce good parts at maximum speed. Sucks training yourself, but benefits in the long run.
905-KBPC5006T

Tagline
---
I ordered my caps and rectifier from Joe. Probably get to install them net weekend or so. Oh, and don't tell the wife :blackeye:, but I just purchased a Carver C1 pre to further my addiction. Any opinions on how it'll mate with the 400? Was this a good choice? My play money is gone for the moment. Might be time to sell some junk.

Attachments

Tagline
---
I'm sure I'll recap it when it comes. Just wondering if they are decent sounding. Seems to be mixed reviews and opinions all over the web. Definitely looks like a solid unit.

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
I use a Carver C1 also, it shares duties with the Perreaux SA3 and Kenwood Basic C2. The C1 is a very good preamp and a great match for an Phase Linear amp, even by todays standards. I am sure you will enjoy it

Tagline
---
Thanks Northwinds. I just couldn't help myself. Was completely an impulse buy. I was going to ask opinions here about preamps to mate, but just kind of grabbed it. It has to be better than the Kenwood kc-207 I'm using now.

Tagline
---
Got her cranking Lamb of God( yup, I'm a metal head) through my MCS speakers right now. These things go pretty low, mids are real, and the highs sizzle in a good way. Underestimated to say the least. Gotta go get the spiedies off the grill and enjoy a beer. Oblivion321...

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
MCS speakers? I would have blown them already LMAO!!! I think your leaving a lot of amp unused

Tagline
---
MCS speakers? I would have blown them already LMAO!!! I think your leaving a lot of amp unused
Nope. The 8228 are are beasts. I have a rebuild thread on AK .(http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/mcs-683-8228.647262/ ) Massive drivers. Mcintosh used them also. A rare breed and so far have been up to the task, and then some. That is exactly why I like these speakers. They are so underestimated, and so hard to find. Glad you think it's funny, but my house is rattling and I can't sit in the same room for long when cranked up. Enjoy your CV's and I'll enjoy my MCS.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
DUDE!!! Those magnets are HUGE!! How did the refoam go, I did not read through the whole thread, just curious...