New build for shop system

AngrySailor

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---not quite right
Best I've ever seen.
Transformer supported, padded and boxed up. One component per box, the PL pieces and the Prisma TT. he also put a pile of record albums in with.

Went to the carpentry shop but the crew is otherwise occupied! I’m gearing up tools and a sacrificial work table to cut the 4x8 sheets on. Looks like first cut will be tomorrow.

Attachments

BlueCrab

Journeyman
The original cap you showed, which was orange, was an NP - non polarized - cap. Those big black ones are polarized (I think, since they are rated for 400 vdc and have a + sign at one end. Are you sure they will be ok in a crossover network?

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
The original cap you showed, which was orange, was an NP - non polarized - cap. Those big black ones are polarized (I think, since they are rated for 400 vdc and have a + sign at one end. Are you sure they will be ok in a crossover network?
They are supposed to be non polar film caps from an audio parts supplier, (Solen electronique). I never noticed the + sign there... I have one board installed and it sounds the same as the other side. I ordered higher voltage as I was having failures.

BlueCrab

Journeyman
My reading of the specs looks like they are good to 250vac, so you're okay. Not your standard electrolytic. If I'm lucky, I learn something new everyday.

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Pre amp seems to work perfectly. It seems like I have to turn the volume up quite a lot to drive the amp though. Almost as if I couldn’t drive the amp to clipping at max volume on the Pre amp. Didn’t try to push it too hard as these speakers just can’t handle it.

Attachments

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Checking out that Solen site- they have some neat full range speakers that might be a good upgrade for my Panasonic boom box...