New build for shop system

AngrySailor

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---not quite right
Straits of mackinac, Michigan. We’ve only made a few miles since this morning.

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
So I ordered some new capacitors to beef up the passive crossovers in the three way cabinets. I don’t have the board in front of me at this time but did get the list of capacitor values used.
Original caps:
26uf 100v
40uf 100v
4uf 250v
12uf 250v
I ordered closest I could get in non polar film caps which was
27uf
39uf
3.9uf
12uf (exact match)
All these caps are 630v

After plugging these values into some calculations I came up with the inductor values and the attached schematic. If anyone sees any errors please jump in as I haven’t ordered inductors yet! (The 4uf on the tweeter will actually be 3.9uf) for all that maters... I wrote it down wrong.

Attachments

Last edited:

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Just realized I overlooked something I shouldn’t have... Just to avoid confusion, these crossovers in previous posts are for the shop system, I planned to use the same crossovers (as I have spares), for the house speakers. Here’s the problem. With these cabinets I have two 8 ohm woofers... I can alter the woofer circuit component values to maintain the crossover frequency if wired parallel for 4 ohm. But now I have 4 ohm woofers and 8 ohm mid/tweeters... what would be best way to equalize the impedance? Or should I go back to the drawing board?

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
I think..., after changing the crossover component values in the woofer section, the only issue would be response? The two woofers wired parallel for 4 ohm would be louder than the mid/tweeter... depending how by how much, this may not be a problem as the mids and tweeters are very sensitive, I am usually dialing midrange down with tone controls and bringing bass up. I am wondering if something like an L-pad attenuation circuit would work, but the resistors would have to be pretty high wattage... Not really and ideal situation, but its stuff i have that I'd like to make use of...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Changing the ohmage of your drivers is going to change your inductors also. Have you figured that out?

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Yes, the caps and inductors for the low frequency section would both have to be changed. 1.8mH and 56uf is what I came up with. The other option, as I have two spare sets of these crossovers, might be to use one with a single woofer/mid/tweeter, then use only the low frequency section of the other as a low pass filter on the other 15" woofer, then wire in parallel. Basically a three way cab paralleled to to a low passed woofer. change no values as each crossover would be seeing the expected 8 ohm.

The loudness issue, would be the added 3dB caused by a second driver and also would the amp not see 4 ohm load at those frequencies and 8 ohm in the higher frequencies. I know that speaker impedance in not linear and changes with frequency, just trying to get my head around this...

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
The EPA will love this... That is the lubricator for the entire engine, it's a total loss system. It oils the mains, rods and cylinders (everything else by hand with oil can), the crankcase doesn't have a sump like a regular engine. The oil is used once through the engine then flows to the final rear drive gears to lube them. Procedure in the manual is to drain the spent oil from the rear drive gears on the ground once a week, flush with kerosene, then drain that on the ground...
It makes for better crop production...

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Ordered caps and inductors to repair the other crossover board and convert the low pass section to accept the 4 ohm load.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
The EPA will love this... That is the lubricator for the entire engine, it's a total loss system. It oils the mains, rods and cylinders (everything else by hand with oil can), the crankcase doesn't have a sump like a regular engine. The oil is used once through the engine then flows to the final rear drive gears to lube them. Procedure in the manual is to drain the spent oil from the rear drive gears on the ground once a week, flush with kerosene, then drain that on the ground...
Sounds a lot like the Land-Rover lubrication system / corrosion protection plan... "when it stops leaking, it's out of oil."

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Sounds a lot like the Land-Rover lubrication system / corrosion protection plan... "when it stops leaking, it's out of oil."
Detroit Diesel too. They came by their nick names honestly... “DripTroit” or “Green leaker”!

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
These bad boys arrived today. These are for the shop three ways and as close to the original values I could get. Looks like I’ll have to make some stand offs to relocate them as they’re huge compared to the originals...

Attachments

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Huge and speakers are two terms like I like to hear together.
Well stay tuned into March because huge is what’s about to happen! Four new cabinets for the shop @ 20 cubic feet each, for a total of 8x18” subs. Also been thinking of what the heck to do in the house with the existing speakers from the shop which are moving inside. I’m no interior designer, but here’s a quick doodle of what I’m thinking for layout. Plan is to build a nice wood cabinet to house the vintage gear and storage for tapes and records... the couch will have its back to the living room window which was the only option to not block the window completely with stuff or have to walk around speakers to access the master bedroom... Mrs. AngrySailor is pretty accommodating, but that could change real quick if she stubbed her toes on a speaker...

6 subs filled the back of a long box pickup...

Attachments

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
They are for Fordson model F tractors produced from the late teens to late 1920’s. I think I have 7 tractors of that model? The tanks and several tractors in varying condition came from my uncles estate. I bought all things Fordson F related.

Attachments

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Was looking on crapazon last night at TV’s. I don’t watch much TV but will probably get another for the living room. Found an RCA LED 4K 75” for about $600 maple syrups... Seems 4K is cheaper than 1080 now but the next cheapest in a 75” (LG and Samsung) jumpsup to $12-1400. I really don’t need one that big but if it’s a decent TV for $600... makes a fella wonder though why so cheap.... anyone use any modern RCA models?

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
All three of mine are 1983 and older Sony Trinitrons, 19, 17 and 9".