My Father's Continuing Saga........

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Younger Brother Is Simon Posford and Prometheous, Shpongle is Simon Posford and Raja Ram...

Tagline
Born and Raised In The 700 Watt Club.
Finished buttoning up the innards. Got the zip ties I needed and cleaned up the amp. Put it back together and Ran a Simple Work-Bench Listening test to a Load. Works great. Sounds great. No explosions. Not even one mistake on power-ups. I have a fist full of printed paperwork from Joe and the team here to thank for that. This week at some point I need to get it connected to my Big PL700B Bi-Amped System so I can Properly control this thing in a proper listening environment with proper speakers and a pre-amp. Sadly; It's back to work and I ran out of time. So I will post on my outcome on that some time later this week. But for now all I have to say is WOW!

What an amazing thing it is to realize someone engineered something so amazing! Lee.............you're right. FULLY COMP!! I will NEVER go back.

Todays final finish-up pics below:
IMG_3908.JPG
IMG_3911.JPG
IMG_3914.JPG
IMG_3915.JPG
IMG_3925.JPG

Tagline
Glad to see you moved the hold down plate to the outside hole which nests it against the chassis sidewall. Provides more meter clearance.
Yeah Joe. Even with proper tolerances given, it still comes together awwwefully close! They sure didn't give ya much room to work? The negative meter lug barely clears and that busbar with the new caps sits pretty close to the positive stud. But, it WORKS.

IMG_3918.JPG

IMG_3919.JPG

Last edited:
Tagline
Your pictures are very clear and full of info for future builders. I have a 400 I bought new in the ‘70s that is still original. Some day I would like to overhaul it. I also live in Saint Louis so it’s nice to know there are others locally who still appreciate vintage equipment.
You can't beat that beautiful face of a Phase Linear. Nothing today even looks HALF as good. And in this day and age you think something WOULD? But let's agree here that after Joe's stuff get's in it; there's not much "Vintage" about it excepts it's looks.

Basically think of any '69 muscle car you can and imagine TODAYS horsepower and refinement in it! That's what White Oak has done here. And dare I say it; once you hear it.....you can't UN-hear it............

Last edited:

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
A full WOPL is a thing of beauty. Joe is not only a engineer but a true artist. His creations are beautiful to look at and ponder, like a great painting.

Tagline
I just reordered some more Bridge Rectifiers. I said earlier in my post I used a 30A in the PL400 Build. But according to this here Mouser bag I got in 2013; It says they are 50Amp. Well....I guess it does it's job. I also ordered the snubbers that Perry says he likes to use. This go: I got the two parts in bulk since they will actually be used in the PL700B's at some future date. Gotta start being like Lee and have a hundred of everything....................

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
Even with proper tolerances given, it still comes together awwwefully close!
For the close ones, I slide some of those large nylon washers between the faceplate and the chassis ears. It moves the faceplate out just enough to make me think there will be no collisions between metal parts of different voltage potentials...

Tagline
For the close ones, I slide some of those large nylon washers between the faceplate and the chassis ears. It moves the faceplate out just enough to make me think there will be no collisions between metal parts of different voltage potentials...
I don't know if I'd like that 'GAP' per se'. Perhaps; should the market ever warrant it; Joe may make available a new chassis for the 400 that's a tad deeper; to compensate for the better components. I doubt it, since the 700B is the better choice there and a hot ticket item, but you never know? Some people LIKE to crank their WOPL400's to mach-10. So I could see a better power cord, etc. in it's future/ (shoulder shrug).......

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I don't know if I'd like that 'GAP' per se'. Perhaps; should the market ever warrant it; Joe may make available a new chassis for the 400 that's a tad deeper; to compensate for the better components. I doubt it, since the 700B is the better choice there and a hot ticket item, but you never know? Some people LIKE to crank their WOPL400's to mach-10. So I could see a better power cord, etc. in it's future/ (shoulder shrug).......
It has been fully designed, just not fabricated. Your clearances are fine based on your photos.

Tagline
FINAL LISTENING TEST:

I got the time to hook up the amp Finally to a REAL system for a final listening test. I had to move the wife's work-out equipment around to get to the back of the 360lb. speakers. It went on the Bi-Amped High end while a PL700B drove the lows on one of my sets of speakers. That's it. That's all the realization I needed to kneel before Joe and say...............

Not Worthy.PNG

My Father is going to LOVE this thing! The Saga will be Concluded when we see what HE thinks..................

Final Set-up
CD Source= OPPO BDP-105

Pre-Amp=Rotel RC-1550

Amp=White Oaked Phase Linear 400 on the High End

Amp=Phase Linear 700B on the Low End

Speakers=Custom Made Bozak Concert Grands

IMG_3972.JPG
IMG_3971.JPG
IMG_3977.JPG
IMG_3982.JPG

Last edited:
Tagline
Yeah, youtubes upload time sucks in HD. On top of that; I wasn’t willing to risk anything beyond Mach-9 for longer than that. Literally just got new neighbors. And I don’t know if they like to party..........YET.