My Father's Continuing Saga........

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
I got these and used a nylon spacer with it. The standoffs screwed to the binding posts, and thus make contact with the board via the nuts on the top. It elevated them JUST perfectly. And it's nice and secure. Did a stress test by pushing the board around and was solid. If Don thinks that's a bad idea; I'll get the right length from him. He can chime in at any time. I'm open to doing what's right. :)

View attachment 47077
Those standoffs were likely intended for PC motherboards of yesteryear. I've got a pile of them and stacked 2 for each post to get a feel of how it would work. Any solution that works and is reliable, and not susceptible to vibration is fine. Earlier today I found some 4-40 x1/2" standoffs in a drawer. See the attached image. The ones I ordered are 5/8" long.

Attachments

Tagline
Born and Raised In The 700 Watt Club.
Alright fella's.........I tinned the Backplane leads; Installed the Driver board, and set the Bias. NO SMOKE!! Dim bulb test passed, smoke test passed, smell test passed, DMM readings passed (from what I read)....I'll let the caps settle down all night and tomorrow; Install the Old REV A light board back in. I have the ON-OFF-ON switch here for the Meter Adjustments. No clue if I'm going to use it in the end, But I want to play with it. But when USPS get's their act in gear, I CAN. For some reason; everyone's packages are stuck and missing but somehow miraculously there were 'No Apparent Issues with Election Mail-In Ballots' eh? Not a conspiracy theorist here but makes one think.......... :oops:

Anywho!.........I ran completely out of little white zip ties. (Went through at least 70 of them) acted as temporary holds while I did some work and then came off to be replaced by final button-up. So I'll have to go out tomorrow and get some more. I used Giant white ones for now. But that ol' OCD won't stand for that sooooo out to the store I go! I also will glue that cardboard protector above the Line Fuses back in tomorrow too. Today's progress pics...............

IMG_3900.JPG

IMG_3897.JPG
IMG_3898.JPG
IMG_3899.JPG
IMG_3901.JPG
IMG_3902.JPG

Tagline
Those standoffs were likely intended for PC motherboards of yesteryear. I've got a pile of them and stacked 2 for each post to get a feel of how it would work. Any solution that works and is reliable, and not susceptible to vibration is fine. Earlier today I found some 4-40 x1/2" standoffs in a drawer. See the attached image. The ones I ordered are 5/8" long.
Yeah I like that don. That's the appropriate stand-off. Mine's just doing well in a pinch. I may have ya send me the pair after all. I'd rather do it right the first time than 'make-do'. :thumbleft:

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
Yeah I like that don. That's the appropriate stand-off. Mine's just doing well in a pinch. I may have ya send me the pair after all. I'd rather do it right the first time than 'make-do'. :thumbleft:
6mm height is almost 1/4" and good to know that is just about the minimum to elevate the board above the backplane board capacitors.

George S.

Alright fella's.........I tinned the Backplane leads; Installed the Driver board, and set the Bias. NO SMOKE!! Dim bulb test passed, smoke test passed, smell test passed, DMM readings passed (from what I read)....I'll let the caps settle down all night and tomorrow; Install the Old REV A light board back in. I have the ON-OFF-ON switch here for the Meter Adjustments. No clue if I'm going to use it in the end, But I want to play with it. But when USPS get's their act in gear, I CAN. For some reason; everyone's packages are stuck and missing but somehow miraculously there were 'No Apparent Issues with Election Mail-In Ballots' eh? Not a conspiracy theorist here but makes one think.......... :oops:

Anywho!.........I ran completely out of little white zip ties. (Went through at least 70 of them) acted as temporary holds while I did some work and then came off to be replaced by final button-up. So I'll have to go out tomorrow and get some more. I used Giant white ones for now. But that ol' OCD won't stand for that sooooo out to the store I go! I also will glue that cardboard protector above the Line Fuses back in tomorrow too. Today's progress pics...............

View attachment 47086

View attachment 47088
View attachment 47089
View attachment 47091
View attachment 47092
View attachment 47093
Very nicely done. What a wonderful gift for your father.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Glad to see you moved the hold down plate to the outside hole which nests it against the chassis sidewall. Provides more meter clearance.

Tagline
Glad to see you moved the hold down plate to the outside hole which nests it against the chassis sidewall. Provides more meter clearance.
Yess-Sir! I read a lot about that pesky problematic meter bolt interferrence issue. (Twas in your notes also). Decided to put a stop to that issue before it starts! As far as Sound? We’ll find that out tomorrow. Final button up happens then. Or what do we call it here? The “Burn in Period”? ;)

Steve K

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Your pictures are very clear and full of info for future builders. I have a 400 I bought new in the ‘70s that is still original. Some day I would like to overhaul it. I also live in Saint Louis so it’s nice to know there are others locally who still appreciate vintage equipment.

George S.

Burn in = listening to some Shpongle at mach 10.
I just sat down to listen to it the first time, found it on YouTube, 1st track definitely working the amps a little, especially the subs. I like it. Going to listen to it all then go out in the garage and work on some log furniture.
Definitely good burn in music!!

George S.

Wow, wow, wow. God Particle tracks have more low frequency spectrum than any other tracks I've encountered. And it's all amazingly clean, even over YouTube. Nice. Watching the video on the big screen is pretty cool also.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Well George you need:

Shpongle------" Are You Shpongled"
" " -------" Tales of the Inexpressible"
-------" Nothing last, But Nothing is Lost"
-------" Corridor of Mirrors"
------- Museum of Consciosness"
Younger Brother--- "Last Days of gravity"
----" Vaccine"
All can be had from Twisted Records

George S.

Well George you need:

Shpongle------" Are You Shpongled"
" " -------" Tales of the Inexpressible"
-------" Nothing last, But Nothing is Lost"
-------" Corridor of Mirrors"
------- Museum of Consciosness"
Younger Brother--- "Last Days of gravity"
----" Vaccine"
All can be had from Twisted Records
Will do. Going to look for a flac download of Spongle discography. I have heard "Last Days of Gravity" once.

Last edited:

George S.

And if you are streaming off youtube you're missing half the bottom end...
Guess this means I need to build a bigger amp for the subs? Been thinking about it. I like Andrew the Angry Sailors 700 S1. Thinking rebuilding the back wall complementary would be fun. Maybe I'll find one local this summer. HAS TO BE CHEAP. Ebay is just WAY over priced. Later.