Mark goes at it again... just bought a PL700/II!

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Stray thought..

Die- cut kapton insulator sheet between the backplanes and chassis.

Yes, I know there’s no excuse for sloppy assembly work, but clearance is tight in that area. Prevent a spark gap?

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Stray thought..

Die- cut kapton insulator sheet between the backplanes and chassis.

Yes, I know there’s no excuse for sloppy assembly work, but clearance is tight in that area. Prevent a spark gap?
It’s your amp so I can’t tell you what to do with it. Better to use the ruler test outlined in the instructions. Prevents parasitic pickup if you get leads too close to chassis. If you use insulator, I have seen too long leads plus insulator work initially but fail years or month later when the leads pierce through

MarkWComer

Tagline
It’s your amp so I can’t tell you what to do with it. Better to use the ruler test outlined in the instructions. Prevents parasitic pickup if you get leads too close to chassis. If you use insulator, I have seen too long leads plus insulator work initially but fail years or month later when the leads pierce through
As I said, no excuse for sloppy assembly work!
Just a stray thought, looking for opinions.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Progress report. Actually I'm a bit farther along than this, video editing took a little time, and it's been too freakin' hot to wield a soldering iron. From July 3rd:

Wheel-right

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Man, Ya shoulda been here yesterday
Mark, I just want to say thank you for all the great videos you've created to help everyone. Me being a newbie I'm very grateful for you showing what can be accomplished and for you spending so much time producing them.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Mark, I just want to say thank you for all the great videos you've created to help everyone. Me being a newbie I'm very grateful for you showing what can be accomplished and for you spending so much time producing them.
And that’s the whole point! I also hope that some 13 year old geek gets trapped by them and starts a career in electronics, learns enough to shut down Skynet and keep the Terminator in its own time.

Hacking on the rectifier and input jacks today.

MarkWComer

Tagline
A question about the input jacks/sensitivity control/control board connection.
I want to clarify this before proceeding with the next video...

So.. kosher or no?

Last edited:

Wheel-right

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Man, Ya shoulda been here yesterday
And that’s the whole point! I also hope that some 13 year old geek gets trapped by them and starts a career in electronics, learns enough to shut down Skynet and keep the Terminator in its own time.

Hacking on the rectifier and input jacks today.
But it works even on a 63 year old like me to, just got done installing a Watts Abundant DCP relay and a new set of power caps from White Oak and they both worked first time and now the 400 Series One sounds way better with the 2000 Series Two. Next up a new a White Oak control board...

mlucitt

A question about the input jacks/sensitivity control/control board connection.
I want to clarify this before proceeding with the next video...

So.. kosher or no?
Mark, your idea is sound. Just be aware that PL used some very high quality wire in their single coaxial cable. The wires you have selected are probably the lowest quality wire that China is able to source for the American market. Radio Shack used to be a good source of short cable spools repurposed from larger runs of high quality Belden wire.

I'm not saying it won't work perfectly, just be aware the size and quality of those RCA cable wires will not compare favorably with PL wiring.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Mark, your idea is sound. Just be aware that PL used some very high quality wire in their single coaxial cable. The wires you have selected are probably the lowest quality wire that China is able to source for the American market. Radio Shack used to be a good source of short cable spools repurposed from larger runs of high quality Belden wire.

I'm not saying it won't work perfectly, just be aware the size and quality of those RCA cable wires will not compare favorably with PL wiring.
Yes- I bought some higher quality cables for this.