Mark goes at it again... just bought a PL700/II!

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
If the jack is mounted vertically, then you are on your own and the IEC may visit you unannounced and confiscate all your electronic equipment.
Just great... another bureaucratic agency to take a bite outta my ass cheeks...
I do not recommend connecting the 3rd ground wire Mark. The PL amp was not designed to have a 3rd wire chassis ground so I keep it that way.
Will adhere to the standard!
Thanks for your understanding my curmudgeoness.
I’m adding yours to mine!

Bradrock

Tagline
---I run with Scissors
In the near future PL700's will be sold like most all other electronics on Ebay..............................
NO POWER CORD INCLUDED.

MarkWComer

Tagline
OYBEN! New chassis, new issues!
New chassis hardware (fuse holders, input jacks, etc.) sure add a lot of work and thought to this! I have to recreate a bunch of stuff! I’m confident I’ll get it all, but there’s an awful lot of things that connect to the AC legs of the rectifier, not much room for all the connections. A terminal strip would help a lot here, no place to put it...

mlucitt

Mark, I put a 3-position terminal strip on the transformer side wall for the reason you just indicated, AC voltage attachment points. I got mine from Radio Shack, but hard to find them now. I would send you one if I had it. Lee might have one if you send him a bottle of rum.

MarkWComer

Tagline
While gutting the old chassis I broke an emitter resistor on the old point-to-point octopus. Wirewound! Was that common for those original backwalls?

MarkWComer

Tagline
Mark, I put a 3-position terminal strip on the transformer side wall for the reason you just indicated, AC voltage attachment points. I got mine from Radio Shack, but hard to find them now. I would send you one if I had it. Lee might have one if you send him a bottle of rum.
Yes- hard to find a Radio Shack, let alone the terminal strip!
Ebay, ships from Hong Kong...

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
While gutting the old chassis I broke an emitter resistor on the old point-to-point octopus. Wirewound! Was that common for those original backwalls?
If you mean were wirewounds common? If that is the question, most if not all PL amps had WW emitter resistors on the back wall. Probably what they had available at the time but not a great choice for stability reasons.

MarkWComer

Tagline
If you mean were wirewounds common? If that is the question, most if not all PL amps had WW emitter resistors on the back wall. Probably what they had available at the time but not a great choice for stability reasons.
Yes- inductive little suckers that they is. Correct- that’s what I meant. I didn’t expect them to be WW.
Mark your 700 S2 did not have a terminal strip mounted on the chassis left wall?
Yes, there is. Right- I can use that. The one for 120/220 xformer config and the original VU meters were connected there. Damn... poor little stubby rectifier legs...

MarkWComer

Tagline
Three wires coming from the xformer, orange, yellow, and gray. The gray one is capped off. Orange connected to a dark green wire at the terminal strip that went to the VU meter, yellow connected to its own lug on the strip and connected to a light green wire on another lug by a single strand of wire which also went to the VU display. I can’t figure this out, the original schematic is vague.

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
Three wires coming from the xformer, orange, yellow, and gray. The gray one is capped off. Orange connected to a dark green wire at the terminal strip that went to the VU meter, yellow connected to its own lug on the strip and connected to a light green wire on another lug by a single strand of wire which also went to the VU display. I can’t figure this out, the original schematic is vague.
Mark,

The gray wire is a center tap between the orange and yellow wires. The orange and yellow are approximately 12 volts for driving the series 2 LED VU meter displays. If you were to use either the orange with the gray or the yellow with the gray you would have 6 volts which would not be enough to drive a series 2 display but would work for a series 1 700 or 700B when using the original 6 volt incandescent bulbs.

Ed

MarkWComer

Tagline
Perhaps a good (and time consuming) project for me to do in the future would be to redraw these old schematics in a vector program. I’ve done a couple for old Califone phonographs in the past. The scanned manuals break everything into dots, should have been scanned as 1-bit, not 8-bit grayscale. I see that this would only serve as historical reference, but there’s still some value in that.

I suspect that vague schematics account for increased sales of Ouija boards...

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
The PL700 S2 schematic I have does not show that center tap Mark, but it is there. Maybe there is a version in existence showing it.

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
My schematics don't show it either.

I would hesitate to copy the existing schematics over. There are many errors in them. There were also many different versions of pc boards particularly with the 400 series 1 and 700B. There were a couple versions of PL36 pc boards along with the PRO700 version PL36. I don't think there was a schematic of the low distortion mod 700 series 2 which is similar to the 300 series 2 which I discussed on another of my postings. The Phase Linear service manuals only provide a few examples. I have an extensive library of schematics and parts lists that were not shown in the service manuals.

Phase Linear began using dual primary transformers at the end of the 700B production run. I don't recall whether or not they had a similar arrangement as the 700 series 2 as far as orange, yellow and gray wire are concerned on the secondary side of the transformer. Off the top of my head I would say probably not.

Ed

MarkWComer

Tagline
The PL700 S2 schematic I have does not show that center tap Mark, but it is there. Maybe there is a version in existence showing it.
My schematics don't show it either.

I would hesitate to copy the existing schematics over. There are many errors in them. There were also many different versions of pc boards particularly with the 400 series 1 and 700B. There were a couple versions of PL36 pc boards along with the PRO700 version PL36. I don't think there was a schematic of the low distortion mod 700 series 2 which is similar to the 300 series 2 which I discussed on another of my postings. The Phase Linear service manuals only provide a few examples. I have an extensive library of schematics and parts lists that were not shown in the service manuals.

Phase Linear began using dual primary transformers at the end of the 700B production run. I don't recall whether or not they had a similar arrangement as the 700 series 2 as far as orange, yellow and gray wire are concerned on the secondary side of the transformer. Off the top of my head I would say probably not.

Ed
Yeah, fruitless pursuit. Abandoned the idea, all that’s going to be relevant now are the WO specs. Only one black lead from the secondary winding on this one, rebuild guide says “typically two.” Yes, variations abound.

Going over the raw video for the next section, editing will be a task! (But I wish I had these editing tools when I was using Super8!) Next section is about gutting the old stuff out, then the internal wiring and power, then putting the circuitry in place. Both aspects- the amp rebuild and the video- QUITE comprehensive!

MarkWComer

Tagline
Is there an easy way to get thermal grease off of anodized aluminum?
Trying not to ruin the input/output legend from the rightmost heatsink ear.
Whoever slathered this stuff on was in a fit of mania!

Nevermind... got it... denatured alcohol.

Last edited: