Mark goes at it again... just bought a PL700/II!

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Hey, guys... too long away from my friends, please forgive me.
Life has settled down a bit, don't even remember the last time I logged into Phoenix...

Well, anyway, just bought a PL700/II on eBay for $750. Probably paid too much, don't know, don't really care, but you just don't see these very often any more. Looks like I'll be knocking on Gepetto's door for some kits soon and contacting WattsAbundant for a DC protection circuit. The 400/II is still singing sweetly. Honestly, I WOPL'd the 400 as a practice run for a 700, looks like the opportunity presented itself at the right time.

There's also a D500 listed for $1800, BTW.

So, examining the pictures on eBay, I saw that all the transistors are MJ21196G except for the pre-drivers, which are RCAs. No transistor covers- maybe WhiteOak has some since they're making sparkly new cabinets now? Since the transistors are not the originals, I suspect there has been some service done to it. The amp is listed as "fully operational," but what that means any more is always a crap shoot.

I have a question, though- what's the difference between Normal | Direct coupling? (there's a switch...)

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Hey, guys... too long away from my friends, please forgive me.
Life has settled down a bit, don't even remember the last time I logged into Phoenix...

Well, anyway, just bought a PL700/II on eBay for $750. Probably paid too much, don't know, don't really care, but you just don't see these very often any more. Looks like I'll be knocking on Gepetto's door for some kits soon and contacting WattsAbundant for a DC protection circuit. The 400/II is still singing sweetly. Honestly, I WOPL'd the 400 as a practice run for a 700, looks like the opportunity presented itself at the right time.

There's also a D500 listed for $1800, BTW.

So, examining the pictures on eBay, I saw that all the transistors are MJ21196G except for the pre-drivers, which are RCAs. No transistor covers- maybe WhiteOak has some since they're making sparkly new cabinets now? Since the transistors are not the originals, I suspect there has been some service done to it. The amp is listed as "fully operational," but what that means any more is always a crap shoot.

I have a question, though- what's the difference between Normal | Direct coupling? (there's a switch...)
The normal mode inserts a series capacitor between the preamp and the amp to block any DC from the source. The direct mode shorts this cap out.

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
square body cause I dint want a plastic 4x4
glad that you got a 700 to wopl.
I hope you do videos for the build like you did with your 400.

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
About freaking time you showed your face again!!!

Hope all is well Mark...was really beginning to worry 'bout ya.

MarkWComer

Tagline
About freaking time you showed your face again!!!

Hope all is well Mark...was really beginning to worry 'bout ya.
Thanks! Didn’t mean to drop off like that, got wrapped up into so much other shit that I lost track of my life. My “normal†has been modified in too many ways.

I’m reasonably healthy, though- plan to be around for a while!

MarkWComer

Tagline
The normal mode inserts a series capacitor between the preamp and the amp to block any DC from the source. The direct mode shorts this cap out.
HA! So it has more to do with input than with any output function. Gotcha! Smart idea.

MarkWComer

Tagline
So...

$750...

Opinion: Do ya think I got skinned on this or not?

I haven’t seen a 700/II in cosmetically GOOD condition for a long while. It’s been listed for a few weeks, and the fact that it was there was eating me alive. I broke this morning- if I didn’t buy, I’d be pushing my steel toe boots up my ass for not buying.

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
Time to start wondering about someone else conspicuously absent for a few days. Anyone w/info?

Hope he’s just on an unannounced fishing trip....

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
So...

$750...

Opinion: Do ya think I got skinned on this or not?

I haven’t seen a 700/II in cosmetically GOOD condition for a long while. It’s been listed for a few weeks, and the fact that it was there was eating me alive. I broke this morning- if I didn’t buy, I’d be pushing my steel toe boots up my ass for not buying.
That is about the going rate these days for stock PL700s Mark. You can get a roached out one for high $400s but you have to redo all the cosmetics.

All the WOPLing has driven the price up to that level.

MarkWComer

Tagline
That is about the going rate these days for stock PL700s Mark. You can get a roached out one for high $400s but you have to redo all the cosmetics.

All the WOPLing has driven the price up to that level.
Thanks for that, good to know.

My butthole doesn’t hurt as bad as my checkbook!

The ones I’ve seen before this have had holes drilled in the faceplates for replacement switches, banged- up cases, or have otherwise looked like they’ve been dragged behind a truck. This one looked pretty nice.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I got a Yamaha CA-1000 that weighed over 50 pound packed, it's a doorstop now...

MarkWComer

Tagline
DBT/Variac startup passed, DC offset R:.006v, L:.008v.

Electrically, it checks fine. Didn’t check rail voltages, didn’t see the need.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Excellent offset.....hard to get in the single digits. Series ll ya say??
Yes, a Series II. Rail voltages for B+ and B- both measured around 101VDC, so power supply is good and strong.

Initial checkout video rendering now...

MarkWComer

Tagline
WOPL 2.01 video posted

Preliminary checkout video posted to YouTube.

As in past videos, these will be geared to those without previous electronic experience, so they may be a bit elementary for those on this forum. Runtime is 31 1/2 minutes.

All videos will allow comments, will gladly answer any questions.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2gzPkCa44dE

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Mark, I thought you were going to WOPL this amp??? Testing is kinda a moot point since a WOPL will gut it completely...