It's getting late...

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
And my cat showed up when I went out at 3 am to adjust the antenna! I got Spot some tuna and cat food and made sure they were well fed. Now I need to shut down and transfer the E: drive to a proper 3.5" space and use the 5.25" floppy cradle to mount a hard drive in the spare bay of the dual core case, using one of the 3.5" spots for the other IDE and still having room for 2-3 SATAs.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Anyone know this cat made famous by google maps?

puddy tat 2.JPG

Sounds like you have a handle on all the hardware. Did you try swapping the floppy drive out with another one? Could just be a bad drive.

Have some Dr. Pepper and sleep on it.

orange

Tagline
I think I found a deal on something smaller then a bread box but larger then a marble. :rabbit:
Cats...Spot showed up at 3 am when I went out to adjust the antenna so I gave it some food but the tabby is probably gone, we found one of them when my friend helped me clean out under the house :( It was most likely age as they all grew up down there and were immune to feline leukemia that took a few others, including their mothers.

The one by the bike is Spot and that is a pretty old photo as the table is uncovered and open before I had built a feeding shelter.

I've got my IDE drives in and the 200 GB is still there and I installed the primary master and slave cable select and in the unused 5.25" bay in an adapter, moved the floppy drive down and put the slave in the top spot with the cover in to hide it. I've got a different floppy drive in the Evo (or it'ssitting on the drive cageplugged in for testing and I gotta find where I put the 5.25" adaptor for that and I'm going back offline in a minute to work on all three and check out the GX-240 one more time before I arrange to sell it.

PS I hope it's mayo...

orange

Tagline
I think I'm almost done with computer fixing for the night...just going to get the older Dell GX-240 set up to go.

orange

Tagline
Thought I had found a spare standard LCD monitor today, so I could stay on the other computer to look for stuff while working on another but it turned out to be the same KDS USA 17" I had found before and I got it home, found that it wasn't the kind that had an internal power supply with a 3-prong cord but NO!

I'm not sure where it would take an adapter and I'm also not even sure KDS still sells in the US but for Pete's sake...

Oh SURE, I have a KVM switch, haven't found all the cables just yet to use it.

I'm back on the Evo and almost ready to load the dualcore AMD with 7...some noodling left to do then bingo.

orange

Tagline
It's no longer late!

Working on the memory and CPUs now.

Attachments

orange

Tagline
I'm swapping the AMD's memory into the Dell and Evo so I'll be off in a bit and then I'll have some news for you all.

orange

Tagline
Okay, NOW I've got a problem and am on borrowed time.

I'm on the Evo and I installed both of the PC3200 Corsair XMS 1 GB modules from the dual core, CMX1024-3200C2PT/XMSXMS3202 v1.6/CL2...

BEEP BEEEP

Won't start.

I took one out and put one of the PC3200/256 MB/2-3-2-5 in with it.

The 1 GB doesn't register, only the 256 it was running.

So not only will the Evo really not see more that 1 GB, I got a WGA notification for changing hardware too much and it of course failed for too many activations.

Now I have a little ubder 3 days to straighten that out, either find a way or NOT and go from there.

It looks like I will be using Windows 2003 Server as a workstation in a standalone manner.

Now before I go getting into this mess with the DELL I have to do some thinking and I have to get the dual core going on 7.

If I change the CPU on the Dell, I'll get this again. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR Frikkin GRR.

I'll be transferring whatever files I need to over to the external drive a bit.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
You should be able to pull the 2 or 1 gb back memory out of the EVO and boot it up with it's original memory and then it should activate again, if not you can call the automated microsoft number in the activation screen and they will give you an activation number. You can manually access this through start/system tools/ activation.

If you want to try the memory with the Dell, just disconnnect the hard drive before booting the computer. If it boots into the bios screen then you know the memory is working. I would try one stick first and if that gets you into bios then try two sticks. By doing this you won't have the Win XP activation flagged just because you are testing the memory out.

Oh one more thought, if you open up the USB drive there is a 250gb desktop 3.5' ide drive in there, you could use that for the Dual core, of course the downside is no more usb drive, although you could put any ide drive in the usb housing.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
I'll try that but I'm still copying and sorting the files from here AND the Dell on the external drive THEN running AVG.

Not taking chances. This drive is backup until I get DVDs made.

orange

Tagline
I got everything off the Evo I needed to before the drive melted down. DAYUM. Back to cassettes for a while.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
If you would have had the computer problems a year ago I would have had a bunch of memory and spare drives, but I sold pretty much all of them on ebay in the last year.

I parted out two amd/asus dual cores just like the one you have.

Unfortunately that is the way life goes. :evil4:

orange

Tagline
If you would have had the computer problems a year ago I would have had a bunch of memory and spare drives, but I sold pretty much all of them on ebay in the last year.

I parted out two amd/asus dual cores just like the one you have.

Unfortunately that is the way life goes. :evil4:
Still got another chassis where that came from. It'll live or die too, ya don't play ya can't win a buck.

orange

Tagline
The dualcore is about ready for a check. I'm just going over things last-minute...took time to do most of the dishes and I got one Scorpion8 made off the recorded one I found. Taking my time and working about the house. I've gotten more done by taking my time to do the other things too. We'll see what develops.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
As the robber told Fred Flinstone to count "nice and slow, see.."

Sometimes you get things done better when done nice and slow, see.. :rabbit:

orange

Tagline
Like DINNER (see What are you doing today)?

orange

Tagline
The computer shop is donating two computers after work today-both with Linux and they say 7 will run on them. Meanwhile I will get back to the dual core...I think I have drawn the current down on the GeForce's line and need to find a differ point to power the drive on primary IDE 1. Might as well ditch the CD-RW on secondary IDE 1 and put it there.