It's getting late...

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I bought them with your help and you sent them to me, no?

I also have the builder versions in 32 and 64 bit you sent that either way would need a license later.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
I sent you one coa/license, the second disc is just a copy of the first one in case you lose it. Yes you can install any of the discs/versions on as many computers as you want, but you only have a single product code/coa to activate one of them. The other installs will time out in 30 days unless you enter a valid COA.

I'd only enter the coa on the computer that you want 7 on most, unless you are planning on purchasing another coa/license within 30 days.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
That's fairly easy at the moment. I only have three I can do right now. I'm hoping the 64 bit version will work on the other MPC later when I have enough memory and the Dell will be retired from online use without any OS changes for service as an AV jukebox.

Home Premium discs first.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
The discs and license are meant to be sold together. So to puchase another license/product code costs as much as a disc and a code, and since there is a big rush from XP users to upgrade no one is going to have a fire sale on Win 7.

You can try the 64 bit on any of your computers, if it doesn't install properly or at all then you know the computer is not 64 bit capable. I am betting if the comp is not 64 bit the install will probably tell you so.

orange

Tagline
Well, this post is on linux. I have no idea about security and kinda wonder if i can load Windows 7 on the 120 GB drive is I make it the 1st boot drive.

There are files on the 120 that I think Mint installed.

It was interesting to find a bunch of concerts listed from archive.org when i opened the online part and I listened to some of a Smashing pumpkins concert,''

Most of the videos have gibberish nmes or Islamic titles etc but i had no idea how to open those and all i got were reviews.

orange

Tagline
I don't know if Linux is faster or the 3.2 GHz hyperthreaded P4... and since I'm using Firefox I must have been a liar. Something actually works there.

I got the font size up to where I can read it too. Your avatar does the tie and untie thing even.

orange

Tagline
Ah, screw it...I can reinstall or leave the other one Linux if I want. I have no idea which AVG Linux version to install on Mint though. We'll give 7 a shot.

orange

Tagline
That would work if I could actually get it to boot from the DVD, not Linux and I've tried setting this a few times. I can't install.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Have you tried more then one install disc? Or disconnect the hd and see if it will boot from the DVD Drive. Also are you sure it is a DVD drive your putting the disc into?

Sometimes getting rid of Linux on a drive can be a pain. When you finally do get the install disc to boot and you are doing the install make sure you delete all the hd partitions on the disc you are installing it to. note only do this if you do not want to save any data on the disc. if you want data on the disc. obviously save it elsewhere first.

Your computer should also have a boot drive selector and you should be able to tap one of the function keys while booting to open it. From there you can select your boot device.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
Can't actually get thething to boot from the CD, gonna remove the SATA and work from there...use disk management after that when I get 7 up.

(Can't get Dr. Pepper right now, broke)...rimshot

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
I have had some dvd drives tht are just plain fussy and won't boot at all, maybe try swapping the dvd drive with another on a tempoary basis.

orange

Tagline
Prolly helps to have the IDEs set to CS...the DVD was a MASTER and the HD was a SLAVE.

I'm ready to try again...cat's eating lunch, I need to check my glucose and eat as well.I moved the DVD down one space and the plug panel up to make it easier to deal with the IDE cable, didn't say the others would behave but when I got the front off I found the screws used tro mount the drives on the inside and on screw on the outside (opening) cinches them and i moved the SATA to the bottom,IDE to the top. There's a front panel firewire connection -trying to figure out where it goes so I can plug it in and knockout the spot on the front panel. The VGA video is pretty good but I'm figuring out where to put a DVI card if I ever get there. A fan will also go in at the front and there is a spot to plug it in so that will happen too.

I have an ASUS V9520MAGIC/T AGP video card with SPDIF to try later. Yes, they have it and I still have the ATi card as well.

OOPS, that's not AGP, it's PCIe and there's a stub at the bottom.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
And it's composite NTSC, not SPDIF, don't hit me with FACTS, I'm tinkerin'

I have FOUR USBs on the front AND a firewire, whether on not all work the tabs in front were removed, by cracky.

If'n the ATi card works so be it. Or diet pop, don't even know if Sobe is sold around here anymore.

You cannot hear me so it's not Monkey's Audio.

I'll beat this disease with a dead horse here Pretty Soon but not Soon Lee. She got a bad Woody.

orange

Tagline
I've done a lot on it for now, time to get out of the house, get on my bike and bug people personally.

orange

Tagline
Back to the Micron and i lost the power supply last night, had toswitch to a 300 watt max (down 20 W)...

I SUSPECT that one of the Molex connectors is open and it's to the ide hard drive, hence no power to it, no connection to the optical drive in cable select, same cable no IDEs/

Will shut down and swap the Molex line for the mate of the one on the SATA drive...could not solve it in BIOS and ENHANCED mode is engaed allowing both IDE and SATA. This is how it was fully running before the PSU failure. I may have to install the dvd drive you send or the DVD RAM/CD-RW I've used in the past but not until I solve the other issues.

orange

Tagline
BTW I am running WITHOUT ANY MALWARE PROTECTION THAT I AM AWARE OF and want to install AVG for Linux, but which one?

This is, I gather Linux Mint Maya. Mint 13, MATE 32, 3.2.0 or whatever and there are like45 files listed on the AVG site. Since I haven't figured out how to do a screen capture or what to do to save it and post if I'm kinda just going back and forth.

There are deb (debian, I know that), rpm, sh, and tar.gz files, all free, all released the same day and all the same size, which leads me to believe only the delivery file type is different but i have no idea which I need.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
You don't really need an anti virus for a desktop Linux distros whatever flavor. There are so few viruses out there that can attack a desktop linux installation that I wouldn't worry about it. The hackers who write nasties aim them toward windows where they can infect massive amounts of machines.