It's getting late...

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
As far as Windows 7 being compatible with XP application and software, the best explanation I have found is here:

Most applications that were designed for Windows 2000 or Windows XP will still function correctly under all editions of Windows 7, including Home Premium. Some applications check the version number of the operating system and will fail to run if it finds an unexpected version number, therefore Windows 7 has a compatibility mode which allows these types of programs to run correctly.

There is also another compatibility option geared towards IT professionals and business users which is called "Windows XP Mode," which is essentially a fully-licensed copy of Windows XP Professional running inside of a virtual machine and is only available to Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Enterprise, and Windows 7 Ultimate users.

Windows XP Mode is meant primarily for companies who have designed their own software in-house which is targeted specifically for a version of software - a prime example of this is a web application that only works in Internet Explorer 6 (which is available with Windows XP, but not with Windows 7).
I myself have yet to encounter a software that I have that wont work in Win 7 Home Premium, but I am sure there are some out there.

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I have been asking for help getting 7 for almost two months and I've never thought it was a debate or comparo. I simply asked for for help to get it in the best manner I could manage to afford. so far i've watched what I perceive to be the few opportunities to do this economically slip away. I do not have 170 dollars to go to a computer shop and have them load it. I don't wish to dance around it, I just want to get the stupid thing before I die or disappear. All indications are that eventually I will be laughed off the internet. As much as it bugs me, the OS is the one thing I can't mess around with and I'd rather cross a busy interstate texting on an iPhone or playing Angry Birds while dodging trucks than step backwards to Linux in my opinion. I didn't like it when I had to use it at an internet cafe a few years ago and I don't have any reasson to shange my opinion. I've said over and over I need some help to get it and that's about it. If I have to ask Kmart to lay it away I will. That's as simple as I can put it. My god. PLEASE. I know you're trying to make sure I'm sure but that's not where I'm coming from now. I just want the stupid thing.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
If you have no support from Microsoft for the OEM, do you not also run into the same WGA issues as you would trying to install an OEM for a DELL on a COMPAQ?

And the last point is that I don't have a hundred dollars all at once. I have tried to save enought to do it at the computer store more than once and crap calamity always happens. I've been asking for someone to help me get the disc and then I could pay them installments to get it in my hands.

I knew all of this was coming but i'm not the onlyone who couldn't afford to just go and buy crap, like that. Some of us value living indoors and eating more often. After a while you just give up again and go do whatever. It's just effing stupid.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Windows OEM Versions do not have direct support from Microsoft in that you can't email or call them for support, you can however get all the OS updates you need through windows update function on your computer.

That said an OEM install version is tied to the first motherboard it was installed on so if you try to activate a COA number that was first activated on a Dell then no you can't uninstalled it on the Dell and install and activate it on a Compaq later on. You can however re-instal lthe OS on the same computer as long as the motherboard is the same, meaing if your install is hosed, yes you can re-install it. You can also upgrade any component without effection your activation except for the motherboard.

If you want the ability to move the OS from one computer to another then you need the Retail version. Of course you legally cannot have the same os with the same COA number on more then one computer at a time.

I pretty much only purchase and use OEM version of MS products.

orange

Tagline
Okay...is this sufficient? If so how can I arrange to have somebody download two licenses and save them for me so I can get one at a time?

http://www.digisoftstore.com/Windows-7-Home-Premium-SP1-32-Bit--Download-_p_268.html

Bubba/Ben sent me two Micron 512 MM 333 MHz DDR modules, that's actually less than what's in the Evo and maybe I could bump the AMD to 3 GB? I've got all of those 256 MB PC3200 DDR modules you sent and the Evo is using a matched pair of OCZ 256 MB DDR PC3200 says 2-3 2-5...shielded Whether or not it will take a GB I have forgotten for the moment, the dual core ws pretty fast with the 2 GB memory it already has. I guess I have to read the manuals/site.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Windows Genuine Validation will always protect Microsoft from mischief and will shut you down if there is any attempt at using a key more than once on different hardware identifier pools.

No direct tech support is the price you pay for saving money with an OEM disc. But in no way is it an install once on one MB platform and done. Motherboards fail. Motherboards also failure during initial build, meaning, a bad board from the get-go. After the fact, if the base system needs to be repaired (and a motherboard replacement is essentially a repair), Microsoft will grant a new activation key no matter if it's the OEM or Retail disc. It takes a phone call. What I can't say for sure is if they will do it more than once with any regularity. Again, Windows Genuine Validation will be double checking the key usage.
The fine print on support is essentially - support must be obtained by the system builder. Translated, this means any technical question about operational issues won't be provided by M$ during the normal support window which in the present day doesn't mean squat anymore. The window is small on Retail versions because tech support costs money. Outside the window, paid support hits everyone for most issues; but there are exceptions of course. The no charge support window is 90 days.

OEM discs are available for sale in retail channels because everyone and their mother can be an OEM system builder.
The key thing about using an OEM installation is to hold off on doing the online activation until you know your system build is golden.
I recommend not even doing the "registration" step until you know your build is solid.
With Win 7 you have 30 days to activate.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Yep the 32 bit version will work if that is the way you want to go. You will have to use either XP or Vista drivers as the makers of those motherboards never produced any win 7 drivers that I aware of.

I can purchase one or two COA's them if you send the funds. I can hang on to he Sansui till later on if you want to use those funds for the Win 7 project. I have no use myself for Win 7 32 OS though as all my computers are running win & 64 bit already.

They will probably just email a valid COA number and send a link to the iso download of the install disc. It is probably the OEM iso file. If it was 64 bit I could make a copy of one of my discs, but I don't have a 32 bit install disc.

As far as the memory goes I'd install the OS with 2 gb and see how it works, not sure that 1gb more will help out any.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
As Blaze said the agreement with OEM is you can replace the motherboard with the same make should it go bad and I know from experience you can even replace it with another brand if you are the system builder. What I was getting at is if you replace the motherboard you will need to make a phone call to activate your Win 7 product, any other upgrade, memory, HD, cpu wont even trigger the activation subsystem and if it does activation can be completed online.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
I've not seen restrictions of any sort in relation to the model/part number of a motherboard replacement; I've done both same exact MB AND completely different brand replacements without issue.
On a few occasions I've had to call M$ when I've replaced the a primary (C drive raid set on a build that went south and where the subsequent online activation didn't take but that was with Vista & XP. I'd qualify that by saying a Windows or Acronis image restore onto new base hardware is more forgiving than a fresh install on a new primary drive or drives.

The only thing I would add is this:
When you buy OEM Windows online and it's not a physical disc, make sure to actually speak with someone at the source to get the skinny on what you are actually getting.
A lot of times these fly-by-night online stores resell from bulk pools of license keys and sometimes there are weird aspects to what you get to work with.
Always strive to get the physical disc if you can, even if it means you have to pay 5 or 10 bucks more.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
Tony: The motherboard is working okay as far as I can tell, it was the 750 GB SATA drive that got stuck and basically fried itself trying to free the head. The drives are recognized properly after a normal start, BIOS is fully accessable, it's only when it goes to boot that it cannot find the boot drive and that drive stopped buzzing as well. Since I think that SMART monitoring was for IDE only switching it on doesn't really tell me anything. For now I'm going to bring it back with an IDE HDD and see how that works.

Web, I am looking at my budget this morning and will email you later. I'm going to take some pictures and go to a place where I can upload them from floppies and email myself some as attachments to post some things for sale on forums and CL and to regular forums threads.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
I've not seen restrictions of any sort in relation to the model/part number of a motherboard replacement; I've done both same exact MB AND completely different brand replacements without issue.
On a few occasions I've had to call M$ when I've replaced the a primary (C drive raid set on a build that went south and where the subsequent online activation didn't take but that was with Vista & XP. I'd qualify that by saying a Windows or Acronis image restore onto new base hardware is more forgiving than a fresh install on a new primary drive or drives.

The only thing I would add is this:
When you buy OEM Windows online and it's not a physical disc, make sure to actually speak with someone at the source to get the skinny on what you are actually getting.
A lot of times these fly-by-night online stores resell from bulk pools of license keys and sometimes there are weird aspects to what you get to work with.
Always strive to get the physical disc if you can, even if it means you have to pay 5 or 10 bucks more.

From what I have read:

The OEM software is licensed with the computer system on which it was originally installed and is tied to that original machine. OEM licenses are single-use licenses that cannot be installed on more than one computer system, even if the original machine is no longer in use. The End User Software License Terms, which the end user must accept before using the software, state that the license may not be shared, transferred to, or used concurrently on different computers. System builders must provide end-user support for the Windows license on computers they build, but cannot support licenses on computers they didn’t build. This is a fundamental reason why OEM System Builder licenses can't be transferred.

But in practice I have transferred the OEM License to a totally different machine. They don't watch it too closely, but if you tried to move it third time they may get suspicious. You pretty much just call into the automate phone system and enter a 60 digit code and the read a 60 code back to you that you enter into your computer then hit next and you are good to go. They do record the motherboard id string and could possibly deny a updated one although i have never had an issue.

orange

Tagline
I'll be back in about an hour to 1 1/2 and email you before your bedtime.

orange

Tagline
Okay, you have two emails from me now. I think this will work fine if I pay for one disc next month and all others I owe then the other disc and the 5050 in June and I will have plenty left over in June to work with given my normal expenses and even if the power bill gets stupid. See what you think.

orange

Tagline
Okay...I think after watching a You Tube video on installing a floppy drive I've gotten the Evo back together and since I have but one standard def LCD and one wide but don't know where the DVI adapter is right now, I'll be shutting down her to pull the start cord on the Briggs and Stratton.

As sure as there is a video put together of Brian Williams from NBC Nightly News saying words that form 'Gin and Juice'...look it up/

Here's the NBC joint, see if it works better than it does on the Dell Dementoid.

https://www.nbc.com/the-tonight-show/#segments/4531

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
As I posted in the Cassette Deck memories thread, I can now read from floppies on the Evo but I cannot write.

An odd message about "R:" being write-protected (but the floppy certain is not).

However, I can now post pictures from my cameras and post items for sale on Craigslist.

To format, delete or save to the floppies I'll need to either set the BIOS or replace the drive.

We'll see what happens in the morning. The computer is running a virus scan and awaits a Spybot scan first.

orange

Tagline
I'm lucky something didn't get more squished than it did but the contents look to have survived.

(back in a sec after I install my photo program to work on the JPEGs)

orange

Tagline
Okay, here is the box and the DVDs...the large bubble wrap worked okay and the discs are safe but for fixed rate some foam should go in the box.

The next step is to evaluate which one is going to go first. I was certain I had another 80 GB drive...actually I think I have a ~200 GB IDE HDD partition for two drives, Windows XP and empty for F: and G: as I have FOUR drives and the USB drive. There are only THREE hard drives in there, I counted a few times :)

I should save some files to the USB drive and switch over to the Dell to do some exploring, now that I got it to work. One of these drives will be going to the AMD if I indeed can split IDE and SATA. I do have this old 100 GB Maxtor I've used for years and have as a standby, need to get some newer drives down the line buy I also have some 40 GB that can serve as the OS drive, even an ancient but okay 20 GB WD200.

Back in another few.

Attachments

Last edited:

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Okay, here is the box and the DVDs...the large bubble wrap worked okay and the discs are safe but for fixed rate some foam should go in the box.
If it was something valuable I would have packed it better. :rabbit:

What happened to the 200gb sata drive I sent inside the AMD computer? That would be the logical drive to install the OSon, but you can mix sata and ide drives on the Asus if you like.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
Still there...after losing a 750 GB SATA drive I don't want to put an OS or program files on anything over 80-100 GB and IDE as I have a bunch of IDE drives to install on.

Since no matter the floppy, new and unused or with content, they can be saved to but not formatted or deleted from...I have to assume the DRIVE could be a bit off but I think it's damaged and this drive has been there for a long time...I assume I've forrgoten why I set it aside.

I haven't gotten to it yet though...I was out on the bike taking care of business and grocery getting (found some real dill relish, not sweet, MMMMMM, and got a couple 20 oz Diet Dr. Pepper Cherrys with my two bucks, had a nice long bike ride to soak in Vitamin D).

80F is coming! :occasion9:

Last edited: