It's getting late...

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
The graphics card is very power hungry so I wouldn't hook anything else up to that connector or split it in any way. If you want to put a y connector in make sure it powers either HD, CD/DVD or fans. The graphics card needs it's dedicated connectors straight from the psu.

Free computers are always good, either salvage parts of of them or maybe they are better then something you already have. I may have something in the works for your BD, but I am relying on a donated carcass that as of now isn't even in my hands, so don't count any chickens just yet.

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
All of my counted chickens are in the freezer.

orange

Tagline
I made some wheat rotini with chicken, spices and ketchup, basic and yummy,

orange

Tagline
I'm going to check out what's in one of these two computers before I rest...

orange

Tagline
i.e we have two 3.2 GHz P4 HTs in the mission computers...

Both have ONE WD 80 GB SATA HDD and a CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo drive

Intel I forget the graphics set

Front dual USB with MIC and headphone out, looks like 4 channel built in audio

Four rear USB, NIC, serial, parallel for printer etc and VGA

No SPDIF

Floppy drive

One with a five card reader including USB memory stick

They have two different version of Linux Mint from what I can tell, the newer being 13.2 (which is being traded to my friend that's helping me here some for another drive, although I thought that stuff was 'free'. Still, I've had two WD800 IDE drives overheat...believe the other was WD so ???

Decent looking crap, without actually having opened either.

I have to wonder if the 100+ GB Maxtor got taken out with the WD when it overheated...apparently some WDs need their SPACE.

Last edited:

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
I have never had a hd issue with WD, but as they get older and the 80gb are probably older, then all the makes definitely will have their troubles. Overheating is an issue with any drive. Make sure you have good air flow around any mechanical hard drive, it is best to only put them in in every other bay to give them and inch or so of breathing space.

Overheating chipset's can also appear as hd issues, If you have chipset fans make sure they are working correctly too.

Sounds like you have some good puters or parts to trade. :mrgreen: In any case the price was right.

orange

Tagline
I'm still working on that GX-240, the buyer is still interested but I need to figure out why I still have 3 IRQ conflicts that keep the ATI low profile card in 16 bit VGA only, and I've been through the driver reset bit...It's an ATi. somebody seemed to have installed nVidia drivers...still fussing with that and you know I take my time to do it right.

It's Win 2000 so I'm not even going to dare abnd take it online, it has a good burner and a floppy as well.

As for monitors...I'm going to have to find the rest of my cabling for the KVM switch in the cases of the VGA video units.

I'd really like to get a used Cycle Sound stereo fairing to fit in my Hondaline for the Rollfast and that's $55 bucks. At least mom said she would take the wedding present with her in baggage on the plane flight to Minnesota for my niece's wedding in Litchfield. I won't be getting there, I'm afraid but I did what I could.

I'm trying to do what I can as well on the Cycle Sound item but I haven't been able to get ahold of my friend that helps me buy on eBay for at least two daze...this is what my Pioneer dtuff will go in and I'll build a locking cover. It's a Buy It Now, so I'm getting anxious. And yes, I called them and asked if it would work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321392961300

Last edited:

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
There is driver scrubber software online, or you can go to the control panel device manager and uninstall the device, in this case the graphic card, then reboot and when windows wants to reinstall the device point it to the disc with the drivers on it.

Or I could send you a win 2000 reinstall disc and you could re-install the OS from scratch too.

Can't help out with the faring stereo though. I have something I may send you next week that you can use. It is smaller then a bread box but larger then a cigarette package. How big is a bread box anyway?

orange

Tagline
There is driver scrubber software online, or you can go to the control panel device manager and uninstall the device, in this case the graphic card, then reboot and when windows wants to reinstall the device point it to the disc with the drivers on it.

Or I could send you a win 2000 reinstall disc and you could re-install the OS from scratch too.

Can't help out with the faring stereo though. I have something I may send you next week that you can use. It is smaller then a bread box but larger then a cigarette package. How big is a bread box anyway?
A: I have one, and to install one you have to find the driver on it. Not found.

B: In MY case, it's as big as a Panasonic RX-DT680 boombox with the right speaker taken off.

C: Because it's sitting on top of it in my kitchen playing the album version of Manfred Mann's Earth Band-Blinded By The Light on the radio.

D: Okay, it's a longer edit of the single version perhaps....Even the classic rock station here needs more ad bucks/

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
BTW I wonder if the thing had an antenna...the stereo fairing sold.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
If Possible Either put the graphics card in a different slot or

Change IRQ Settings in Windows

• 1 Click "Start" and then "Computer." Click "System Properties" on the toolbar in Windows Explorer. Click "Device Manager."
  • 2 Click "View" on the "DeviceManager" menu bar, then "Resources by Type." Double-click the "Interrupt Request (IRQ)" option.
  • 3 Scroll down the list of hardware devices, and select the name of your video card or graphics adapter. Right-click on device name of your video card, and then click "Properties" on the fly-out menu. Click the "Resources" tab.
  • 4 Click and disable the "Use Automatic Settings" option. Select a new IRQ number in the list of available IRQ channel numbers. If an IRQ is already in use or conflicts with another device, the list displays a warning stating the IRQ number is not available. Select an IRQ address without the warning.
  • 5` Click the "OK" button. Close the Properties window and Device Manager. Restart the computer. After you reboot the machine, Windows assigns a new IRQ address to the video card. You should no longer see IRQ address related errors.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
Gee, that's horrible.....
Much cheaper than the other one I have saved in my eBay that is 75 bucks plus. I made the room for it in my budget when mom said she could take the present for my niece's wedding on the flight. It's time to finish stuff.

orange

Tagline
I'm printing your list to go work on that, Web.

BTW I can't move it-It's a low profile card and it's a dedicated slot. There are two others for they are some type ofplug in module...it's a very early SDRAM version P4 board (820?) and has many quirks.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
It's not an 820 it's a 9-something chipset...

Anyway, I have four 512 MB 400 MHz DDR modules in and I'm looking for a couple cards to put once the memory is confirmed and then I'll start loading 7.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
I thought you were putting 7 in the Asus? with the dual core? Once you install the Win 7 oem it is mated to that board till death.

orange

Tagline
Yes, in the dual core and one Micron for now. I have 2 GB RAM in each.