It's getting late...

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I don't need to block flash here, by the way as it's HTML5 all the way, checked that and it's enabled. Flash is for XXX.

orange

Tagline
I'll try the mouse later...there's no rhyme or reason and the last post posted lickety-split.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Trying to isolate the problem to browser or OS or hardware. Does this issue happen when using another browser like Firefox or Chrome?

orange

Tagline
You know that the other two were made to work and if I would just move one in here to A-B you would have that answer. The point was that the number of oversized videos in that thread are taxing something. We went over that the last time I brought it up with them and the next point is that IE 11 may not like it. Or maybe this forums platform.

What needs to be remember is that:

1. The vBulletin team split into two in 2010 and several of those who left went to create XenForo, which a lot of sites have switched to, and it also cause a lot of anger among the vBulletin team members.

2. The introduction of vBulletin 5 was a big failure.

3. Problems with upgrades within the vB 4.2.x platforms caused sites I use to REVERT to older versions, one left for XenForo and a board 3.8.x site did the same.

4. vB4 is being implemented in different manners in ways that mean attachment insertion routines can be differing versions, which should be standardized.

One remaining vB 3.8.x site I know of (Tapeheads) has not only fixed a lot of problems apparently and streamlined their operations by integrating the commerce section (classifieds) as they eliminated an add on. The unfortunate thing is that it's now all PRIVATE.

TH doesn't have embedding. I think that is a huge hint right there. Embedding was not such a consideration when 4 was introduced but it quickly became a monster favorite for the members using it.

If I understand it correctly, vB does not store these files on the servers it's are installed on, it stores the links and has to load them one by one on demand and so too the browser.

The browser caches and you can find files in it's temporary files that links you to them individually. You can even load pieces of graphics for the pages that are built from them in some cases. IE is at least kind enough to warn you if certain items might cause problems if executed improperly/outside a structure.

So what is next?

Hardware.

Can the hardware keep up with what is presented?

For the largest part, I will say YES on this one. There may be some other factor, which I haven't defined yet.

But there is one thing I know from the last time: When the videos were replaced with the default size, functionality was returned to a great degree and load time was greatly decreased.

I shouldn't have to block Flash in my case, if I look at the settings in the embedded video it shows 'About the HTML5 player', which You Tube is good about and I know I'm using it by default.

Delivered in the default state, most videos don't present a problem in the manner that the OP intends to present them en masse. One per post is the general limit for vB and you will get an error message if you try more. But larger video windows mean larger files as well. You have to account for the users you present to and their equipment and connections. It's a given that 56k users will have to suffer and apply pre-play buffering if they want to watch without constant stops. There are others with the main limitations being either the ISP or their phone network. The extension I am using at this time was installed in 1998 and has been repaired at least once. the front extension was completely bypassed and replaced a couple years ago. They are the same line. I am using the minimum amount of devices on the entire network as I can. The cordless phones and integrated answering machine are fed from the gateway and the other room has one phone plugged in...it's normally flipped. I learned to keep things minimal in 1997 when I got 56k.

However, if you remember the speed test thread you know that between Lee and myself. we were somewhere in the bottom of the bucket. There is another reason the problem could exist.

Since I am BUNDLED for at least two more years I will live with things as they are, and it's normally not such a problem. I pay about $75 a month for full phone services, free long distance, DSL, I could use their answering services but I prefer to have mine at home so that I don't have to suffer if there are outages or technical problems with my service.

I don't have a cellphone. Claiming that things work on a cellphone is absolutely moot because it's a different network and a different system.

Apples and TUBAS.

HDTV and RADAR.

Cars and dogs.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
You know that the other two were made to work and if I would just move one in here to A-B you would have that answer. The point was that the number of oversized videos in that thread are taxing something. We went over that the last time I brought it up with them and the next point is that IE 11 may not like it. Or maybe this forums platform.

1. The vBulletin team split into two in 2010 and several of those who left went to create XenForo, which a lot of sites have switched to, and it also cause a lot of anger among the vBulletin team members.

2. The introduction of vBulletin 5 was a big failure.

3. Problems with upgrades within the vB 4.2.x platforms caused sites I use to REVERT to older versions, one left for XenForo and a board 3.8.x site did the same.

4. vB4 is being implemented in different manners in ways that mean attachment insertion routines can be differing versions, which should be standardized.

One remaining vB 3.8.x site I know of (Tapeheads) has not only fixed a lot of problems apparently and streamlined their operations by integrating the commerce section (classifieds) as they eliminated an add on. The unfortunate thing is that it's now all PRIVATE.

TH doesn't have embedding. I think that is a huge hint right there. Embedding was not such a consideration when 4 was introduced but it quickly became a monster favorite for the members using it.

If I understand it correctly, vB does not store these files on the servers it's are installed on, it stores the links and has to load them one by one on demand and so too the browser.

The browser caches and you can find files in it's temporary files that links you to them individually. You can even load pieces of graphics for the pages that are built from them in some cases. IE is at least kind enough to warn you if certain items might cause problems if executed improperly/outside a structure.

So what is next?

Hardware.

Can the hardware keep up with what is presented?

For the largest part, I will say YES on this one. There may be some other factor, which I haven't defined yet.

But there is one thing I know from the last time: When the videos were replaced with the default size, functionality was returned to a great degree and load time was greatly decreased.

I shouldn't have to block Flash in my case, if I look at the settings in the embedded video it shows 'About the HTML5 player', which You Tube is good about and I know I'm using it by default.

Delivered in the default state, most videos don't present a problem in the manner that the OP intends to present them en masse. One per post is the general limit for vB and you will get an error message if you try more. But larger video windows mean larger files as well. You have to account for the users you present to and their equipment and connections. It's a given that 56k users will have to suffer and apply pre-play buffering if they want to watch without constant stops. There are others with the main limitations being either the ISP or their phone network. The extension I am using at this time was installed in 1998 and has been repaired at least once. the front extension was completely bypassed and replaced a couple years ago. They are the same line. I am using the minimum amount of devices on the entire network as I can. The cordless phones and integrated answering machine are fed from the gateway and the other room has one phone plugged in...it's normally flipped. I learned to keep things minimal in 1997 when I got 56k.

However, if you remember the speed test thread you know that between Lee and myself. we were somewhere in the bottom of the bucket. There is another reason the problem could exist.

Since I am BUNDLED for at least two more years I will live with things as they are, and it's normally not such a problem. I pay about $75 a month for full phone services, free long distance, DSL, I could use their answering services but I prefer to have mine at home so that I don't have to suffer if there are outages or technical problems with my service.

I don't have a cellphone. Claiming that things work on a cellphone is absolutely moot because it's a different network and a different system.

Apples and TUBAS.

HDTV and RADAR.

Cars and dogs.
giorgio-moroder-the-neverending-story-soundtrack.jpg

Its no one else's fault you cant run a computer. Support for your fossils will not be around forever.

orange

Tagline
Your attempts at humor are noted. Thank you.

I do not tell you to drink cheaper beer when you have no work.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
That was a pretty good song by Limahl...I bought a 45 of Kajagoogoo's Too Shy new back in the daze and wore it out good.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
These computer threads should be shut down once and for all. Find a vintage computer help forum if you cant use youtube.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
And BTW resulting to personal attacks is pretty classless even from you Steven. Grow up will you.

orange

Tagline
This forum is called "Computer Geeks", it's kind of funny like that.

Thanks for your post.

orange

Tagline
These computer threads should be shut down once and for all. Find a vintage computer help forum if you cant use youtube.
I'm not having any problem using You Tube. The damned oversized video postings being made are messing up my browsing functionality to where it takes a minute or so to even have control of that page, comment and post. You cannot scroll PHOENIX for that time in that instance. You have to open another window or wait it out.

You've had a misconception all along apparently. Those videos have to be loaded to OUR server first and it's not happy between there and here.

I've updated as much as I know to and the only reason I've even said anything was because it was a pain in the butt and I couldn't find any other reason...and this is the second time and for the same reason and from the same member. It's not a condemnation either but what are you supposed to do when you're accused of being a 'special case'?

Get over that please, it's just as bad as whatever you didn't like and escalates. It's not becoming for anybody.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
I'm not having any problem using You Tube. The damned oversized video postings being made are messing up my browsing functionality to where it takes a minute or so to even have control of that page, comment and post. You cannot scroll PHOENIX for that time in that instance. You have to open another window or wait it out.
So you're saying, the mere act of loading the page with it's embedded image - crashes your browser or grinds it to a near halt?

You need to get a rig running that vid card I sent you.

Last edited:

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
If you know certain pages or threads are giving your computer problem then the best advice is to avoid those threads or go in your browser and shut every option off so you have less to load.

Not trying to pick on you but your the only one having issues loading pages. You sounded like you wanted help so I suggested trying another browser to figure out if the problem is in your browser or operating system or just the result of antiquated hardware?

Anyhow I have half a mind to shut this thread down and if you want to ask a specific question about computer hardware or software then do it in a new thread instead of rambling on in this one.

You seem to ask for help but not give us enough information to help you out. When we ask for more info then you get defense. Unfortunately you cannot have it both ways. If you want help then ask a specific question if asked for more information or given a suggestion they try the suggestions and report back?

orange

Tagline
Instead of starting lots of new threads, I made this as an omnibus.

And remember there are no stupid questions, and if one knew a lot more they would probably not need to ask. I was extremely grateful for your help getting to Windows 7. What I don't know I ask and at the time it was also helpful to others needing to convert.

I did the same thing with my thread on another site about building my bicycles over the last 9 years. When I get to the end of my new Rollfast project and my old one and Schwinn projects then I will finally close that thread and finish the series on You Tube.

Having three hobbies that consume time, resources and money and a regular life can be a deal, but they are all fun. I've had a lot of good help in all cases and might as well get to a conclusion at some point, but not here at this time. Thanks, John.

orange

Tagline
An update:

The MSI K9VGM-V is getting power, the Ethernet light is on back there and the PS lights up, no start. Either I don't have all of the tabs right or the CPU is bad.

I still have one Dell Dimension E310 (Emily), Vostro 410 (Phoebe), my remaining MPC ClientPro 365 Valerie and my HP Pavilion i7-1111 Alison, with four others to go and the MSI (Athlon 64 X2) and including yours.

If I had the blue slide in HD drawers for my two Dells (Dimension E310 and OptiPlex 360) I would try and see about getting the 360 running again (the HD holder from it went to house the second HD in the E310).

OMG They want $32.99 for THIS http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=PF169&mfgpid=167558

I can find that much cheaper and in lots of 2 It's Dell U-6436 for Dimension, Precision and OptiPlex

It looks like this:

orange

Tagline
There was one for 99 cents and a couple under 2-3 bucks. I've got to see it the Optiplex is worth fixing first or if the case can be used with another board.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
An update:

The MSI K9VGM-V is getting power, the Ethernet light is on back there and the PS lights up, no start. Either I don't have all of the tabs right or the CPU is bad.
In my opinion it is the board that is bad not the cpu. For every one cpu I have found that is bad I have found 100 bad mobo's. CPU's are pretty tough components outliving almost all other computer parts.

Their are sevearl different voltage requirments on motherboard and quite a few times Leds will work but the board is dead for cpu or memory functions.