It's getting late...

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
You are pretty tough on electronic equipment. :toothy5:
First of all, I have absolutely no clue about the Canon other than maybe the batteries but I changed them as well and...

The Sony Mavica series started around 1997, so malfunctioning floppy drives is a big problem, and I'm using the MVC-FD7, one of the earliest models and none of them were truly good with room lighting. If I use the flash it's almost as bad washing things out, and I can't recover well with Photoshop.

I'm polishing a semi-turd here.

And I've looked all over search and such, it's gotta be the computer or settings and I can go online just fine.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
IT'S MICROSOFT...of course, as half a billion other 7 and some 10 users are having much of the same problem. I've downloaded SOME updates, leading me to believe one or more updates in this cycle are SCREWY. Really all that I can do is to break out of it with task manager and either reboot or try one by one until I get what I can manually and figure it by process of elimination.

But I got all but a few of the 60 some I really needed or wanted that wasn't infected with the possibility of 10.

Stop, reboot, guess again and look at answers.microsoft.com

orange

Tagline
At this point I'd have terrific fun using a sledgehammer.

I have read this and read That and downloaded this and THAT from MS and It just has a fucking attitude.

In fact, it kicked back to another 70 updates, including some I thought installed, I have a log that says most failed and it's all over my head. Get an exorcist, I can't understand MS crap instructions and don't want to edit the registry when I also don't know why the hell I should!!!!!!!!

I sent an email John???

orange

Tagline
I got a bike back after five years that the recipient could never get around to using and agreed should go to somebody who would be able to today. It was going to go to my last girlfriend to help her get around, but she died on the 27th on March, I was surprised to hear two daze ago. I'm not going fuss and with that box for a while and get the bike cleaned up.

The 4 AA batteries got left in for five years and I even had to wipe them off the fork crown cap. A little cleaning and TLC and I'll send it to the bike shop to let him give it away.

Not messing with that Dell tonight.

MVC-070S.JPG MVC-071S.JPG MVC-072S.JPG MVC-073S.JPG MVC-074S.JPG

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
By the way, that bike was in great shape, put air in the tires and it held, rode it around a bit, if I were 70 pounds lighter I would keep it, but I think my sister or niece would love it.

MEANWHILE...I have no idea what solved the problem other than elfin magic because I did everything I read and it's finally up to 46/70 updates installed.

So, what I have:

Pentium 4 HT 2.80 GHZ (2.79) *a really decent speed, 800 MHz FSB and Hyperthreading is engaged.
Over 700 GB total on 2 SATA HDDs
One IDE connection, for DVD-ROM and would take another IDE drive
The majority of my music and video until May 2015 is on C:
I need a good video card, all I have is that little brown stub and no card for that.
Have a floppy drive
The card reader I have has a pin blocked off and the board connection has a full 10 pins. It had an optional Dell 13-in-1 reader, have to figure that out.

Nearly done polishing another turd. About time.

All three computers running right now are set up for the USB headphones Tony gave me and I've been enjoying them a lot. I also found the USB floppy drive for Alison.

49/70 Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 for April...52/70.

Man I spent some time with Socks going through that fur of hers while I've waited and I got Donald Trump's combover out of there, an Army haircut of a hippie. I did that simply with my fingers, no brush.

54/70...anyway, I got one or two maybe I didn't realize if it was working or not and stopped so many times...

We'll see it finish soon I hope...it's nearly 2 am.

orange

Tagline
I shut down still needing to finish updating NET Framework 4.6.1 so it's doing four more, but why in the crap is it sending me a 12.8 MB update for Silverlight when I'm sure I uninstalled it?

Hell, even MS says it should be obsolete and stopped supporting it in 2012, yet they want you to install version 5 even so. I kept hiding an OPTIONAL update and it would come back when I scanned for updates again to see if I was done. PBBBBBBBBLT!

orange

Tagline
I'm going to see if I can get Delia going now. I did some stuff last night to set her up to try.

orange

Tagline
Well, I think I just smelled CPU death.

orange

Tagline
MPC ClientPro 365, Valerie's twin.

The WU problem is solved sort of for me at least, the fact is that the download status gauge thingie ain't gonna work no more so if it seems to take way too long for small updates or never for much bigger ones THEN you worry as it will get to setting a system restore point and installation eventually.

I see no evidence of Silverlight being installed and thought I uninstalled it but I keep getting the update thrown at me whether I hide it or not.
What. Ever. Ridiculous.

The one conflict I had in Device Manager was just a missing driver for something that wasn't even on this motherboard, from the last install...deleted that and it's all good.

Emily drives.jpg

orange

Tagline
Three running, three stripped, four chassis left. A stack of nine hard drives and a bunch of parts.

And a lot of stuff cleaned out more.

Made friends with the cat again, trying to get to bed earlier and not bug her so I'm set up in my bedroom.

And I am almost finished with my new bike's rack for now...

parts (1).JPG

orange

Tagline
It doesn't matter, I can't even get through this thread without reduced the page size at least three times and now I get a long running script message from one or more of them.

I supposed that some of it is mainly from some updates that just haven't been found yet, after all this HDD came from a 'dead' computer that hadn't been used in about a year but the rest of it is from having to coax an XP era Dimension E310/1100 with a 3 GHz P4 hyperthreaded CPU that was possibly a Dell exclusive up to speed.

I had problems with the Scores thread on TH always taking forever to load the pages previously other computers, so I can probably blame the onboard video as well.

orange

Tagline
It still takes well over a minute to get it fully loaded. Can't break out of it easily, you have to wait it out.

It's not the stupid browser, other threads are going along nicely, even those with lots of images and videos. The size of the file is doing it in and this is a 3 GHz machine.

I don't have a phone. you have to think of everybody who will see things when you post. The regular format, even in widescreen has a default size for 4:3 aspects displays. If I had a video card for this I'd use a widescreen monitor.

This is what one of these embeds looks like on a standard monitor:

What it looks like in standard aspect.jpg It's not working good on a 10 year old Dell, even with this:

System Properties Emily.jpg 2.80, 3, hand grenades and horseshoes...

I'm not going to critique the CONTENT one way or another. That is not my purpose. If you use the defaults and let the viewer decide their preferences then it helps whatever junk might be in use.

If it's not working right for them it's moot what you are trying to say, most people won't even bother with it unless it really interests them.

I can say this with over 37 years of computer usage and my first online time in 1995.

orange

Tagline
I'm maxing over and over and there is a script issue that also contributes. the Icy Dock is in the remaining Micron ClientPro 365 (Valerie). Neither the HP nor Valerie are even online right now...I moved the gateway and Emily into the bedroom running on the back extension so I could let the cat sleep more at night. She's not happy if I'm up out there so long, it's hard on her. It's cramped, I sit on the edge of my mattress and I've got the keyboard on my LAP and run the mouse on my pantleg or shirt most of the time. It puts RFI on some of my FM stations on the SX-400 'clock radio' if I want to hear the radio. I unplugged the tuner's line to accommodate this VGA breakout box I spent $4 on at a thrift store to being the picture to my TV and I haven't even finished that task yet...I would have to unplug something else to plug the VCR in to do it and I haven't had that much time.

Some of the maxing is MAIL.LIVE.COM (Outlook.com), I've figured that out...for some reason that has become a bigger hog than YAHOO!

I have AVG Free and am fully updated, and it scanned all 265,000 files with no problems detected at just past 12:30 PM.

I don't know why some video is buffering where is might not necessarily today. I could run the OOMA speed test for the connection but I also think it's a bit of a scam.

orange

Tagline
Okay, I am getting tired of having to describe what this computer will and won't do...

There are two Windows Updates that I really don't understand what they actually do and those are from this week. I'm still trying to decipher them and they are KBs 3138378 and 3140245.

Whether or not they would help with the performance issue I really don't know and I haven't installed them. If I knew why some pages work and some don't, often on the same site, other than video or being a search page (like today's or new posts, posts heavy of external files like video), yet others BREEZE, I'd be a lot happier. It seems that a lot of it is out of my hands, internet crap.

I have gone over my settings in IE as much as I know to from experience and no, sometimes it solves itself for all I care. But I get long running scripts on a certain thread or two on vB4 sites and idahostatesman.com as well as some expected hiccups on Yahoo, although THEY are actually getting better. IS.com I would gather just takes forever to load ads and content.

I'm not going to ask Tony to figure it out, although it manifest itself the most on his one thread...so I had to start there trying to guess.

orange

Tagline
They didn't fix the problem with loading all of those videos. I'm about sure it's caching like it should and it's set right for that...I'll go over that again. I haven't even locked my bike up yet at 1:21 am...