It's getting late...

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Things will be tricky for a while, at least until tomorrow...the standard aspect LCD monitor I had on Valerie started smoking a Camel and went PPPPPBBBBBBLT on me. I've got this one widescreen until I'm given one tomorrow. I was working on two older models and I have three going but it puts a slight damper on work for a bit.

orange

Tagline
I freshened Alison up a bit and got her dolled up...
New Alison.jpg

orange

Tagline
Cross fingers and circuits...

I think I may have an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ for the MSI K9VGM-V I have waited months and months to populate!

$10 if so!

orange

Tagline
Not hardly. 3-4 of the chassis I have are probably basket cases. I'm sorting through them to get what I can together.

orange

Tagline
I've got 7 installed on the Dell Dimension E310/3100, was XP and saved what I wanted to.

I have to put the new computer online and get it authenticated...

Her name is Emily.

Now to get two XP units going and one of the Microns with 7 going right, 3 chassis after that to check.

orange

Tagline
Still woefully shy of 333 and 400 MHz DDR (PC 2700 and 3200)...working on that.

Still haven't come up with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 for that MSI K9VGM-V that takes a 3600+ through 6400+ depending on the RAM.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
I'm validated and updating now but I spend God knows how long working to get rid of the AVG Zen part of AVG Free.

I can't think of a more dumbass idea than tying all of my devices (don't even NETWORK) to one program that would no doubt leave them ALL screwed if compromised.

I couldn't just uninstall it until I start renaming things in the Zen folders and deleting until finally it said it couldn't find it or it may have already been uninstalled and I got it removed from the program list...or else I just removed it from the start menu...

Like ripping the guts from a pumpkin, none the less, messy and fun in the end.

I've tried to figure out how to get the version WITHOUT it but...it's been a while.

To make it trickier, they renamed the main program AVG Protection and the Zen folder AVG.

But I have three running and Emily trying to update Windows, I installed GWX Control Panel first and I have a list of the updates to kill first, they keep throwing them back at you so you have to check all of them out for the last within the last year or so and keep hiding the ones you don't want...the ones that 'make it easier to upgrade to a newer Windows OS.

It will be forever to get the list, even after installing the latest Windows Update Agent. I'd like to get Delia back and running but I don't have video for some reason and my Dimension 2350 with XP that is for stuff not carried over to 7 for drivers.

I have a 3 GHz Pentium 4 HT in this Dimension E310 "Emily" so why waste it on XP?

PS They all got nametags now so I don't get confused by the similar looking Dells and Microns. Now if I could just fix the Compact Flash slot on my HP Pavilion I7-1111, nothing goes in.

Last edited:

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
If they are running something newer then XP I wouldn't screw around with AVG. MS Security essentials/defender is free and designed to run with Win 7.

orange

Tagline
I have no problems with AVG once it gets neutered, have used it for years. Have noticed a lot of rancor towards them on the boards of late. Seems to have happened around the start of this month for the latest round.

Emily (Jean), the face of Emily. She's having some problems though...a wee bit slow.

Emilty Jean.JPG

Having problems with some features again, Jer, including losing the Browse button for Computer in the photo insertion window. This is not Emily, it's Valerie.

(YES, that head is LIFE-SIZED on a 17" standard monitor, so she really is reaching for me!)

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
STILL trying to get Windows Update to work right on Emily too...I installed the latest version of the Update Agent but it still just sits there and never does get there, even after I left it all night.

orange

Tagline
Think I found part of the problem...

HITACHI DESKSTAR 80 GB SATA

In case you aren't aware we used to call Hitachi hard drives "DeathStars" from the IBM Aptiva daze...they sucked even though THEY were IDE.

At least 200 and maybe ~300 GB/2 SATA drives will replace it.

I didn't THINK Emily was on drugs. We'll see.

orange

Tagline
Okay...I have 2 SATA drives in and powered, the 500 GB C: with 7 on it from the other similar Dimension, which I got a drive mounting tray from with it...installed a black floppy drive (in case you haven't noticed the Canon has lots of cyan streaks I have to fix so I'm back with the one short-lived lithium battery and one working Mavica). I'm trying to locate the 3.5" floppy drive adapter to install the card reader from Delia.

MVC-050S.JPG MVC-052S.JPG The rest didn't take well, battery charging again.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
The board runs 400/533 MHz RAM meaning the 2X 512 MB PC2 4200 is what I have been using...

I was given some 1 GB Corsair PC2 6400 memory, hoping that isn't too much...I think the latency is 5 vs 6 for the other.

If I can find where the 5.25" floppy cradle is and the connection on the board then I think can try again.

orange

Tagline
Well, now I have 7 Professional on Emily, we'll see if we still have to reload Home Premium. Just swapped the drive out but I have to look for some drivers if it works. The connector isn't right for the card reader or I had the wrong spot. I don't see the other hard drive or the floppy yet, I need to set it to recognize the floppy.

Oh yeah...it's only 2.80 GB, 2.79 listed by the BIOS. (EDITED)

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
Slow and a pain because I missed one number and had to have a live person help me be reverifed.

She was Vera, now she's Emily. Not like Bruce.

I wonder if the other drive is the Linux one.

Three minutes to shut down, good grief.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
Done for the night with that one...must sleep now.

orange

Tagline
I still can't get Windows Update to work and it's been nearly a year since that drive was used.

Oh well, the headset is going and Love Shack is on...tin roof, rusted.

I found a Microsoft Fix It Tool, we'll try that. Not much hope for that either, I've tried for days to get that going.

Last edited: