It's getting late...

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Sounds like a fresh install is warranted or you can see if you can restore to an earlier point? What happens when you tap the F8 key while booting and try to boot into safe mode?

If it isn't hardware I could fix it if it was infront of me, long distance repair is quite a bit more difficult though.

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I tried that a couple or three daze back. I can strip everything back but the video.

orange

Tagline
I had a power failure on the circuit that handles these power outlets, the AC compressor pulled it down again. Managed to recover Valerie (MPC #1) after a erroneous WGA fail notice. The Dell OptiPlex lost something though, power button is yellow instead of green, no video...I suspect I lost the video card.

Will try switching the card.

I need to have a serious talk with my landlord and the electrician he hires. This is the last computer available at the moment.

orange

Tagline
Nothing doing today so I've been inside most of the day, went out to feed the cats and found 3 more chassis, a motherboard and a hard drive on the step. One is an empty case, the eMachines XP era mini ATX needs a power supply and the big heavy DELL is SCSI...

Did I just find Hillary's server?

orange

Tagline
Orange moment...that was a parallel port. Still, it's old enough that it doesn't even have built in Ethernet. Still working on getting the case open.

orange

Tagline
Opened, I missed the actual SCSI card...turned on the lights, it helped.

It's a Dell PowerEdge 1300 server, PII/III up to 1GB 168-pin ECC or registered DIMMS (SDRAM, PC100).

Stoned Age!

orange

Tagline
I want to clarify something. I set the BIOS to STAY OFF when the power fails. I believe the Optiplex was set that way s that can't be it. If I sent a spike while resetting the breakers, I don't know for certain.

orange

Tagline
I'll boot from the Windows 7 disc later...right now I just put together an eMachines 310 series with my Linux drive, floppy drive and 2GB PC3200 temporarily and I need to free the VGA monitor...it was fun running some sites on one monitor and vice versa and moving them back and forth but I have to split the two :)

The hard drive that was already in there has Windows XP and I can finish a promised offline computer for a friend with that probably.

orange

Tagline
It starts, but I'm not getting it to boot yet and can't break into BIOS at the moment. I set the Linux drive to Master, will try CS.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
If it is old enough to have a floppy drive it is probbly ready for the recycle heap.

See if you can get the Asus,or Dell going or let the freind have one of the MPC computers.

orange

Tagline
I'm not giving away an MPC, I did enough studies to believe I can use the Windows 7 disc to boot and repair.

The Gateway is working now. Good enough to fiddle with finding the most memory I can get in, the 1GB sticks aren't the right kind I gather.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
Well, the Gateway is up with XP and updating AVG Internet Security trial, only have 512 MB (504) running right now though, one 333 MHz and one non-SPD. I have to set the BIOS time and clock each time I plug in after working on it as the battery is pretty low.

I'll end up formatting the other drive for storage. Right now AVG is doing it's first-time optimization scan. That and finish the Windows Updates for grins and giggles

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation

orange

Tagline
The DVD boot was my option, not there yet...this Gateway over here is a paying thing and I'm wrapping it up for the day.

orange

Tagline
PS I mentioned all of that elsewhere, yes, I did it and I'm going to use the disc later.