It's getting late...

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I have to be careful sometimes as I get an occasional blue screen, but I watched my OMD concert DVD yesterday without any griping.

Everything else I have is basically 4-8X AGP. The 6600 will handle all that fine but I had to fix the dangling fan issue. I have an ATi Radeon 9250 PCI but it's apparently not DirectX 9.0 compatible.

Last edited:

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Last edited:

orange

Tagline
Google sez the 210 ain't happening...more troubles than this.

You didn't find a plain PCI card like that that is DirectX 9 compatible for the AGP less Dimension 2350, per chance? Or at least happy with Linux?

orange

Tagline
Okay, today's lessons in figuring out Windows 7...

ActiveX filtering...how to turn it OFF? It prevents a lot of content from running at all, meaning this video runs but the next won't until I turn ActiveX filtering off case by case. I don't even see where it's at.

Took it out of Protected mode....at this point I don't give a shit and while the page still stops responding and has to be worked though at least I am no longer in danger of hitting the button and reloading the page instead.

Nothing is IDIOTPROOF, except to the idiot that created it.

If I only had an OS I'd set up the dual core again. Reduced power mode means flickering and weird page transitioning where an old page appears briefly and the new on overwrites it.

My September budget is every penny taken. The link for the floppy workaround in stored on the OptiPlex (Vera) and I should try that out. I had to replace two bike tires in the last month, video cards aren't in the, well-cards, right now. I tried what I remember on that floppy and it didn't work, my HP 5470 Scanjet isn't loved either.

Nap time.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Google sez the 210 ain't happening...more troubles than this.

You didn't find a plain PCI card like that that is DirectX 9 compatible for the AGP less Dimension 2350, per chance? Or at least happy with Linux?
No, I Don't have any PCI or agp video cards that are Dx9 capable.

If a computer doesn't have an agp port or a pci_port then it is probably time to retire and recycle it.

Last edited:

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
I guess I would retire that computer until you can get a graphics card that will work with it. How about the gt6600 you have? Those can be found on eBay for $10 or $15 or so.

That is one of the reasons you should set up a rainy day fund.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
As long as we keep talking about eBay I have to find sellers who will still do business the old-fashioned way, have somebody help me.

I have to ride a bike into the next county now and then if a ride isn't available, gas is $3.85, mother is still in a brace from back surgery last March and my brother in law doesn't have enough gas money for the monthly trip he promised mom he make to help me. I'm never moving back to Idaho, this is my last place of residence and I will die here and be buried here as I am an OREGONIAN. The cards and CD gig gets me through the winter and Christmas as the energy assistance got pushed back to December for signups so that doesn't help until February.

I'll do online money transactions when the Nigerians send their princesses and they are dying of Ebola now.

I'm gathering all the acorns I can and pay the bills on time too and in a year or so it will be about $150 worse and I'll be done.

I've pointed out what I can locally and have been told don't bother. If I could actually transfer this OS drive to the dual core I'd do it. All it lacks is an OS and since you told me I put a copy on Delia I'm not really enthusiastic to try having the same thing on three computers.

Remember that Pioneer VSX-D whatever I finally sent to my friend Freddy on TH as a Pay It Forward for all he did last Christmas for others and he can't afford it either? He sent me the CT-3000 I bought with his help ;last SPRING in return and is again trying to get a Pony Express to me for the rest that is PAID for. The shipping is a bit much for across the state, 400 miles. I don't have my own sister's address or phone number to ask about Tasuke's speaker's getting to Umatilla finally and I keep asking mom and my BIL but he has much the same problems I do with memory and TEXTS them...

I won't put Paypal on the same account as my benefits and I can't even open a second account to solely handle a self-sufficiency plan with SSA because the bank terms aren't any good to start a new one anymore and the bank/former S&L down the street from my bank keeps the sign maker in food and toilet paper merging every six months. My bank is headquartered in your state, the former First Bank that took over mine years ago.

I'm lucky I found a TH member to buy two records from on eBay and he helped me through it...and his money is on the way.

So eBay is a candy store and I have to beg mom to help me get gumdrops.

That computer repair shop in Payette isn't exact a parts junkyard, and they are doing everything they can to help build computers for other broke people on top of their work as well, out of the goodness of their hearts. I've already receive two free computers and parts, free or not from them a lot and am trying not to hog that. I'll go back to CL and look this morning but I won't guarantee anything.

It would be nice to get laid after 14 years too. I'm a guy, not a charity.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
I only suggest eBay because it is cheaper to buy used. Keep an eye open on cl too. I don't work on peoples computers anymore so I don't end up with extra parts or computers anymore.

If I run into any cards I can let you know.

orange

Tagline
I'm doing well enough over here, and the Dell Dimension 2350 is fine other than they had the dope fiend always saying Dude, you're getting a Dell back then and couldn't afford to add a real option for video.

orange

Tagline
Just really bad news...I started Delia (the second MPC that I've been running for some time now) and also the external drive G: (Souldrive) and F: (Souldrive_baby)...

Souldrive has all the backup, and it sat there with the LED blue lighting solid on then off for sometime, shut down, swapped the power supply from F: to see if that was the problem...did not fix it and THEN!!~~~

Then I got the message that G: is not formatted? do you want to format it now?

It never got recognized by its Volume Name.

Now what?

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Linux could probably read it, or you would have to google and find a freeware program that can recover files from a hard drive. I have not had to use one in years so I don't know what the best one is.

Whatever you do do not format the HD or you may lose the data.

Let me think on thnis one for a while.

If you can try switching usb ports ar or try the drive on another computer. Or put the drive in another housing or try it on an ice port of one of the computers. It may be that the drive simply went kaput. The data may or may not be recoverable

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
What I do know:

The external device itself shows as a Omega? or Alpha? -6 bridge controller with a G: drive when it's trying to acquire it.

The indications are that a driver is missing for this, however it remains sorta unclear how to repair this and you can roll back or update the driver from there.

It knows G: is a Maxtor 6?L250--- so it sees it and furthermore says the drive is functioning normally.

I will migrate it shortly as the other external is properly recognized as F: Souldrive_baby at the correct amount of storage (and empty as I left it).

I have swapped both of the power supplies and USB cables on the externals and had the same results. so I am led to believe I have a corrupt driver or lack of one.

I've attempted to remove it from the Device Manager profile and reset, not getting much luck. Will try again.

orange

Tagline
I had something on bus 6? that was the Creative game port on the Audigy 2ZS audio card that couldn't install, I removed it and the NEC Floppy or USB Floppy from the workaround I tried but probably did wrong...we'll see first before switching over.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Before you do any of this ,see of the drive works in the usb housing on a different computer. That should tell you if it is the drivers or the drive itself.

If you get the same results on another computer then try the steps below.

I would try this:

1. Click start, go to Control Panel, then Device Manager
2. Right-click “USB Mass Storage Device”, and select “Uninstall”
3. Unplug the USB Drive and wait a few seconds
4. Plug it back in

If Windows may give you the same “disk not formatted” error - don't worry...
6. Do not format the drive – click cancel
7. Then safely remove hardware (like you would normally)
8. Disconnect the USB Cable, wait a few seconds, then plug it back in.

If that doesn't work You may want to scan and fix using the windows drive tool

Could also be that the particular driver is fussy with the hard drive jumper, in which case maybe the drive in the housing needs to be jumpered as a master. It may already be jumpered as a master though I don't recall though.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
1. Set for CS

2. WHAT Windows Drive Tool? I have no idea what that is.

The 320 GB other Maxtor is set for CS (got some light and a loupe on it so both are CS)? If I don't even have that hooked up it wouldn't matter and they may be split to different computers at some time so I still don't understand.

Last edited:

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Right click on the drive icon if it is visible, then go to the tools tab. You can get to it in the disk management module also. Again right click on drive and go to properties/tools. Check the drive for errors.

Id the drive doesn't show up in the disk managment then DFT for Windows can be downloaded and you can check the drive fitness.

http://www.hgst.com/support/downloads#DFT

Forget the jumper on the drive. In some old usb housings an ide drive needed the jumper set to master to work pproperloy, but if the drive was working then that wouldn't be the issue. It wouldn't matter what you internal drive were set to, only for the usb housing drive topology.