It's getting late...

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Could still be the drive. Maybe when it is cold the drive circuitry works, but when warm or hot it malfuctions.

Go out and ride your bike, you have all day tomorrow to work on it.

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
If I put it on the internet later I'll see if AVG is still doing XP and if that solves it.

orange

Tagline
Both were COLD. Souldrive (G:) is still there. Getting the optical drive to go on Secondary IDE was being a pain and it's not even hooked up right now. If I use a PCI ATA adapter card maybe I can run three but I think I don't know if the power supply will dig that.

Later, before it's DARK.

orange

Tagline
It wasn't here. I enjoyed it and will see you tomorrow.

orange

Tagline
The other HD that was in the external only registered 127 GB but it's working on the Dell Dimension 2350 with a Promise ATA 100 PCI adapter (the other cable has the Sony DRU-710? DVD drive) and is, for the most part, transferring files. It might be that the secondary IDE channel has problems, or not, but at least it's all happening. In the end, all the data will be transferred with some editing of duplicates getting done. In the end it's the backwards way but I'll see if the drive will work again in the USB housing with the Win 7 computers again. I don't know why and I'm not going to dig to remember right now, I'm just going to get it done. I've got other things to do and I didn't marry the stuff.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
As long as you found a solution and can read the data.:coffee2:

There probably was a reason they gave you the two MPC computers.

orange

Tagline
They've known me for several years and knew I could work it out because I was stubborn enough and curious. They didn't give me junk, I just have to find a different video card and rebuild the dual core with the 7800GTX. I've been learning how to put my own computers together and figure out how to overcome problems and apply software and hardware.

I've never said it would be easy, but the alternative is nothing. I seriously doubt I'm the only one that has problems with computers, but it's the kind of problem I am engaged in and determined to solve.

On another note, I found some really nice 17 x 22" matte litho paper that is nice and bright and can be quartered for 8.5 x 11" and since there are probably 100 sheets (400 quartered) and I got them at a yard sale for a DOLLAR and my friend Cory can cut them properly for FREE I now have all the paper supply for the Christmas mailings and basically need the ink, envelopes CD-Rs and a small amount of time. I've got the long cat 5 line from Laz run all the way to the conduit at the wall between the bedrooms and as soon as some more cleaning gets done I get down on the floor on both sides and run it through the panels. I've got at least three Christmas presents figured out and in progress. I just have to keep going.

You have to step back and ride a bike or something when you can.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Yep always good to step back and see the larger picture, unless your stepping back onto a busy highway to see an entire billboard. :iconbiggrin:

orange

Tagline
I installed two exhaust fans in the PCI slots and I have some decent airflow out the back and the heat from the front has gone away.

The 7800 creates a lot of HEAT.

Maybe that's some of the problem, regardless of current draw. The exhaust is already over 75F to my fingers, though not as hot as when it was going out the front. The vent on the left side door is for airflow to the CPU but it doesn't provide cooling to the video card.

The OptiPlex also has a 7800GTX, and it has a HUGE central fan...we have a karaoke jockey who uses the same model family and when he had shutdown problems he found it was clogged up and once clear it returned to normal. So I would gather it works well if it can suck in dust in short order (it does this every few weeks). The MPC doesn't have this direct flowthough.

Two fans is all that can fit it and they are separated by a slot space.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Yep could be heat is the issue as well. Either the graphics card or the motherboard chipset heating up will give you funny results.

orange

Tagline
I'm going to put Souldrive in the one known good(?) external housing and I transferred all it's data to Souldrive_baby via a PCI ATA 100 IDE adapter on the Dimension 2350. I will check the externals with the program you pointed out. I just got up.

So I haven't gotten a power warning from the nVidia driver. On the other hand, I've found that Windows tells me I need to install the Toshiba power management driver again. I successfully got my ancient version of Word Perfect (11) through compatibility setup and need to plug in the HP scanner and do the same.

That's all I know after being awake 20 minutes...you're getting a lot out of that.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Don't stretch it too much the first 20 minutes after waking up your brain may not be firing on all cylinders yet. ;-)

I think I may have another external IDE housing I can send sometime.

orange

Tagline
Souldrive_baby is back and I'm moving a bunch of files to C: Delia as I only had 548 MB free. :blob8:

orange

Tagline
Also noticed that the graphics are acting better with the fans going.

orange

Tagline
I got both again...

I guess, being Souldrives...

they need some Barry White sweet talkin' :love8:

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Could be the USB circuitry on tghe motherboard overheating. I know if you let the drive controllers o nthe board overheat you will have all kinds of corruption on your drives data.

orange

Tagline
I didn't have a charged camera to take shots but the basic BIOS hardware monitoring says these things...

*after sustained operation (+20 min, WITHOUT EXTERNAL DRIVES and USB keyboard as the sole USB current draw)

CPU average temp: 129F
System Zone 1: 99F
SZ 2: 99F

Most of the voltages are trending low, except 5V out is more like 5.3V. 12V is more like 11.4V.

All are fairly stable with only a -2F variation for very short periods (fractions of a second). I don't know what Vccp should be but my hunch is it seems low.

Last edited:

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
The voltage and temp sensors on the motherboard are not the most accurate but they generally give you an idea of the readings. That said the tolerance of voltages is usually plus or minus 5% see table below:

Screen shot 2014-09-12 at 9.18.11 AM.jpg

Of course your voltages can be reading ok but the computer may be starved for current too.

As far as temps I like to see cpu temps 80F to maybe 120F at idle and maybe as high as 140F to 145F under a load. The cpu probably wouldn't be damage till you hit 180F or so. It is hard to say how accurate the actual temp readings are though. You may want to clean and apply new thermal paste on your cpu cooler to see if you can bring the temps down. I guess I would put the computer under a 100% load for a few minutes and then check the temps first though.

I like to use Hardware monitor to monitor voltages and temps.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

And Pass mark burn in to put a test load on your computer.

http://www.passmark.com/products/bit.htm

Last edited: