It's getting late...

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
I don't really know...it's not a permanent thing anyhow, comes and goes...I've cleared the cache and that doesn't really solve it.

No mouse change, computer change or much else seem to cure that.

That 300 watt PS was nice but I would wonder now even if I could replace that fan. Those aren't just sitting around this town either...those that need parts are being helped as much as the computer repair shops can right now *that means there are others with stuff needed and I would be hogging that.

As for the MPC's GeForce power issue, I haven't opened it up to either remove a hard drive or find it more power YET (I had bills and groceries to deal with and MORE SLEEP than I've been getting, at better hours).

Now, I've spent god knows how much time anymore taking an abrupt crash course in 'modern' computers and such in the midst of more s### that the city moves through pipes in a day going on all at once, which is probably GOOD.

Windows is Windows and I don't have a *^&*&#($ clue how Linux does all that YET. It's ELEGANT/PRETTY though. I could see if that Linux drive will migrate to the SATA-1 position...it COULD go in the spot where the 'floppy bay' would have been and the molex power connector already conveniently in that spot will be right where it needs to be. I'm still left with only ONE IDE hard drive unless an ATA card will work on a PCI slot. THAT one is an ATA100 (100 MHz) so I'm not so sure.
?

Which computer has the mouse that acts up?

I may have a 230w PSU that you could take the fan out off.

Which computer are you thinking of loading Linux in?

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable

ANY, GENERAL PROBLEM and maybe not the actual problem, I'm just not Holmes-Sherlock OR John

Good bad or indifferent as I don't know if it's damaged yet and I have a LEGION of other PSUs sitting around like that at 230-235W

Which computer are you thinking of loading Linux in?[/QUOTE]

VERA (this DELL) as it's SATA and I'm hoping it will go on the remaining SATA spot (SATA-1) without incident and I can try a PCI IDE ATA100 adapter card to add another IDE hard drive, if that will work...the ATA133 card went to somebody I think. I don't have the drive hardware for this model yet so I'll ask the repair shop.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation

ANY, GENERAL PROBLEM and maybe not the actual problem, I'm just not Holmes-Sherlock OR John

Good bad or indifferent as I don't know if it's damaged yet and I have a LEGION of other PSUs sitting around like that at 230-235W

Which computer are you thinking of loading Linux in?

VERA (this DELL) as it's SATA and I'm hoping it will go on the remaining SATA spot (SATA-1) without incident and I can try a PCI IDE ATA100 adapter card to add another IDE hard drive, if that will work...the ATA133 card went to somebody I think. I don't have the drive hardware for this model yet so I'll ask the repair shop.
[/QUOTE]

If you don't know which computer or mouse is acting up it is hard to help out. Which ever comp it is may have a bad keyboard/mouse buffer. A USB mouse would probably work,

Icksnay on the used PSU. I'd you have legions then pull a working fan from one of them.

Did you fill up the 500gb drive already? Why the need to fill the case up with small capacity slow drives?

orange

Tagline
I'm using what you sent me....:rabbit:

All of them are bad for the last 4 years? I've had a few bad mice but have I ever bought a new one in 22 years?

And no, I'm also trying to see if I can access the Linux drive on this without having to restart the computer and switch in BIOS (as you thought I might be able to in a previous post). I have no idea yet how to install it myself yet, looked at the instructions and it's too late to do anything with an already partitioned drive?

Right now I have nothing to lose figuring it out. If that fan isn't soldered in it might be easier but I'll want my friend to use his PS tester before it goes back in.

orange

Tagline
Two things...

1. I can't see worth bat guano other than chicks, so I bump the magnification up...mouse tracking errors?

2. I finally noticed the 2-pin plug on the PCB for the fan. I'll find another one in here and get my friend over here with his tester before I put it back in...

orange

Tagline
If I can find a drive cradle locally for this OptiPlex 380 (Vera) then I ought to have it done, but for the floppy.

orange

Tagline
Windows knows it's there but I haven't gotten it to assign it without formatting it or something

*I'm not going to try that until later, after a good nap.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
I dunno if you have mouse tracking errors on all your machines and you are using different mice then it must be something with the magnification.

An yes if you find a drive caddie and a long sata cable then you could add another sata drive to the machine. Once you opne the cover and start messing around then you are on your own.

If the drive has a Linux install on it and is formatted for linux then yeas Windows will not be able to see that drive till you delete the partition and create an Windows partition, that is normal for windows. Windows can't see linux drives but linux can see and read/write to Win drives.

Oh and yes the tape decks ship out today. Tracking number is 7707 5105 0880

orange

Tagline
Well, CRAP. I have no idea how I'm gonna backup the drive and reinstall once I do and I have even less of a clue of how to install the current Linux, Firefox...I don't really WANT to install new stuff as the old worked nicely enough.

I was TRYING to get another USB external drive case to install the 320 GB IDE I have in the Dimension, and all I needed to use it was a 12 VOLT WALL WART (I've GOT those)...

I never got the $10 for that before the person's moving sale ended and you sat there asking me what the hell I was doing :bootyshake:

Oh well.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
And thanks for the tracking info. Please send an email next time though, I'm happy to hear it and can't wait.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
I shipped the decks out before I got payment and you found the tracking info so no email this time.

If you want a dual boot then install Linux after windows so it can see windows and it will create a dual boot, boot loader.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
That's still rocket science. I went over all the web pages and decided it was too much bother. If I can't ghost it and have to repartition the HDD I'm using it's a no go and I'm more interested to hear if we want to do the cards and CDs again for Christmas.

The idea would have a worse waiting list than HUD rental assistance and the VA.

I'm going to see if I have enough bike time before any predicted thunderstorms today. I never left the house yesterday.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Linux would need to create two partitions on any drive you installed it on. It can coexist with win on the same drive, just in different partitions. You would not be able to ghost linux from one computer to another, as just like windows you want to install linux fresh on any computer you intend to use it on.

orange

Tagline
I just learned my paternal grandmother passed away today. All my grandparents are gone. No services, just her remaining kids and a few close family members as they bury her...by her request.

That would be a son and daughter and her last boyfriend basically. Maybe my mom.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Sorry about your grandmother. Treasure your memories.

My grandfathers both died before I was even born and one grandmother died when I was 4 and one when I was 14 so I only have memories of one of them.

orange

Tagline
I just learned how to import my bookmarks and I figured out I need the Debian version of AVG Free. Let's see what else I can do.

I kind of had a hunch something was up...I thought it was getting a bit late to make that recording of me singing on a cassette that she'd always wanted.

When Marlin called last night he said he had some bad news and I asked who died. He didn't catch that the first time and said grandma died. I told him I had that idea before he said it.

I'm going to find that Debian file and get it installed and use the 110+ GB left on the external HD to try what you said wouldn't work.

orange

Tagline
No, the gDebi installer is asking me for a PASSWORD.

No clue.

orange

Tagline
It's always a little messy coming back to Windows but I have to remember to choose start normally...okay, I'm back and about to check Valerie's connections by Delia's to make sure I have the 20-pin power on right. My friend with the tester isn't going to be available until next week so I'm winging it.

orange

Tagline
The 300 watt PS had a fan and it was running as far as I could tell but the darn think got hot fast again. I put one of the 350 W supplies in and took out an SATA hard drive and so far I am not having problems.

For now that will do. I took a WD1200 from the other MPC (Delia) and I think that was my Windows drive so it looks like one of the SATA drives has to go to get power back to the 7800 GTX.

orange

Tagline
Today is the five month anniversary of this thread...so it only SEEMS like forever.